HELPP!

sandraban

Visit site
right i own a horse that is coming out in big lumps on its face from jsut above the noseband down to the nostrels, none of them so close that they are merging but it is getting worse when they first ocured (above where the noseband lays) i washed them with salt water and the hair fell off in clumps leaving proud flesh i cleaned her bridle and it continued to spread over the nose. she has been put on antibiotics but it is still spreading it is now all behind her ears and spreading onto her neck..obviously the vet is involved does anyone have an idea what it could be or had a similar situation?

Happydays24

Visit site
Are the lumps remaining where the bridle sits or are they spreading further afield?

Also are they weeping any type of serum?

Hope your both ok! x

sandraban

Visit site
the vet has just put her on antibiotics and well they have spread but she has stopped being ridden incase it was the bridle and plus i dont want her bridle to rub on them and they are spreading but they have only been there afew days and nothing has changed to give her an alergic reaction :/

be positive

Visit site
Is the skin pink where the hair has come off, you said it was proud flesh but it is not likely to be as proud flesh usually occurs after a more severe injury not just hair loss.
It sounds like a type of rainscald or ringworm either could be possible, ringworm is not always the classic round patch.

sandraban

Visit site
well we thought that but the vet said that ringworm would be more round...and the lumps are almost like blisters the hair only seems to be coming off when you wash it and none of the other horses have it and yes where the hair has come off it is bright pink and dont think it could be rainscald as she is constantly in...hasnt been turned out since i got her afew months ago

be positive

Visit site
Your vet is wrong, there are several types of ringworm that can present in different ways and is not always round, the hair usually stands up away from the skin and then comes away in clumps leaving a pink area, an experienced vet is required or a skin scrape to get a correct diagnosis. Then treatment can be appropriate.

horseandshoes77

Visit site
def agree ringworm can be seen in different forms, i had only ever seen round patches until my horse came back to me after being on diff yard and most of his face and ears had swelling and bald patches and some unsightly lumps...was ringworm and after treatment totally back to normal !

beeswax

Visit site
for rworm or fungal spots wash with stericelle spray or imavoral, apply fuciderm or lamasil cream to the open sores, wash your head collar and brushes and give tack a really good thorough clean