Helpppp ????? Horse feed

jadeyn98

Visit site
Hi im thinking of putting my nervous mare who is on happy hoof on mollifchaff calmer but what can i feed with it or can i feed it on its own ? is fibre feed okay to feed to her, she is ridden nearly everyday however is very nervous and spooky but un fit and lazy when ridden !!!! :(

Last edited:

Theocat

Visit site
I can't advise on the feed as I haven't used it, but if she's doing more work and seeing more sights / getting more experience she'll probably calm down a bit anyway.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I wouldn't use either of those feeds, as often Alfalfa causes horses to be nervous/excitable. You can feed any chaff on its own, although you might prefer to dampen it. I suggest dried grass, such as Graze-On, which most horses are fine on.

WelshD

Visit site
Mollichaff Calmer doesnt have Alfalfa in as far as I can remember as I moved my Alfalfa sensitive pony on to it. I would go with that one personally

Other choices may be Pure Feeds Pure Easy or Dengie HiFi Molasses Free which both contain little pellets and so seems more of a meal

amy_b

Visit site
I wouldn't use either of those feeds, as often Alfalfa causes horses to be nervous/excitable. You can feed any chaff on its own, although you might prefer to dampen it. I suggest dried grass, such as Graze-On, which most horses are fine on.

Don't agree with this. Dengie Alfa-A can make horses fizzy as the majority of their feeds have molasses added but Alfalfa which is what Alfa-A is made from really shouldn't. Alfalfa is a very fibrous, low starch and low sugar so is very good as a bulk for anything. We have all of our horses from weanlings to competition horses on their normal feed plus a bucket of Graze-On or Alfalfa Chaff (babies on alfalfa, comp horses on grass) with a scoop of either Dengie alfalfa pellets or Simple Systems' Lucie Nuts (Lucerne is the same thing)
Dried grass is very high sugar and digestible energy. I swear by it but please be aware that it is, as far as I am aware, the highest Digestible Energy of any chaff on the market.

The lucie nuts or Alfalfa pellets add fibre to the diet and all of ours look a million dollars. My ex-racer put a nice amount of weight on after 4 years of battling, babies are growing at a good steady rate and those in light work are maintaining weight without being fizzy. The Grass Chaff is like spring grass, although none of ours are silly on it use it with caution...

Personally I would put a bucket of Alfalfa chaff mixed with alfalfa soaked in her box overnight and see if that calms her down, has worked wonders for ours.

WetandMuddy

Visit site
Just wanted to add that I use Pure Easy on my sharp SEction D. Works absolute wonders. Doesn't need any calmers at all now. Brilliant stuff. Super shiny coat and in lovely condition. He is an absolute joy to ride.