Her facial injuries 1 week on.. *warning gory pics*

Keltic

Visit site
Its been 1 week since Kelly my 31yo tb mare managed to cut her face whilst in the stable. Well im very pleased with the progress its making. She is on box rest and is full of it!! She is loving her "walks"!! (i have shin splints from jogging in wellies to keep up!!) She has been wearing her bridle again, I thought she may be funny about having a bit in after not having one in for 7 years but she doesnt seem bothered at all.
The area where its stapled looks really really good, the other area is now nicely drying and has stopped weeping.
So here are the pics, sorry not great as I have a new phone.

Last Sat

005.jpg

Today

010.jpg

Last sat

004.jpg

Today

011-2.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

So what do we think? Im worried its not going to knit together as its very wide, I have been using flamazine but not convinced its doing much now.

Jesstickle

Visit site
Yikes.. That looks sore! What on earth did she catch herself on?

Could you try manuka honey. I haven't yet but people tell amazing stories about it's healing powers. Maybe check with the vet first though and all that!

Mrs B

Visit site
I'd say that given her age and the difficult position of the wound, she's healing brilliantly!

Keep going Kelly! :)

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
Poor wee lamb. It always seems worse when it happens to an oldie. Not that Kelly thinks she is old.
It looks really good, I don't think the wide bit will 'knit together' as it wasn't brought together like the stapled bit, but it will heal, it looks a nice pinkey colour now. Big difference in a week. Depends how the hair grows over it how it will look eventually. I don't think there is going to be much of a scar with the stapled bit, it looks great.
Hope her headache didn't last too long.
You will be needing trellies (cross between trainers and wellies) to take her for her walks/jogs. :D

Trinity Fox

Visit site
I think she is healing very well i would be very pleased with her progress, my youngster has just gouged a hole under her tail and its frightening when you first see it and watching the progress seems slow, espcially if you look at it everyday.

Hope it heals quickly and is better sson.

stroppy

Visit site
Glad she's doing well, Kay didn't take any of Buzz before vet arrived but can safely say yours is mild in comparison and very lucky too!! Vet is back on friday to take stitches out friday and she took pics so will ask Kay to ask her for copies, when do her staples come out?? Do you know how she did it?? Does her bridle sit on it at all? God knows how were going to cope with buzz as can't put bridle on till he is totally healed, Hope she continues to heal well :D

marmalade76

Visit site
Poor old girl, how on earth did she do that?

I have seen a wide cut (although nowhere near as long) on a horse's face heal well without leaving a scar and without any special lotions or potions.

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
A horse at the yard I go to did something similar a couple of weeks ago (she tore her face open on a bit of metal roofing - she was tied to the tack room the very day the farrier told the same woman not to tye up any horse there in future for fear of something happening but I digress). Your horses's wounds look like they're healing up much the same as Annie's! Her progress has been at great speed, and she's not been shy around the head at all. Hope it continues to be fast and smooth for you both!

Spins

Visit site
wow it has really come on alot in a week! i'd suggest Botanica wash and cream (i think it promotes hair growth too) and has all natural ingredients so its works for humans and horse alike! it has worked really well on all of ours...including one who got his two front legs entangled in barbed wire in previous yard before we got him and although he has a large amount of scar tissue they have healed perfectly and the hair has started to grow back! :) Overall though she has healed very nicely in a short space of time!

Last edited:

blueeyed20girl

Visit site
hi there my old mare did exactly the same thing in the stable, someone i know sells this product called "well horse" and its great, organic tree resin imported from US, she got it to try on a horse that she rescued with appaulling injuries and it worked wonders! we have used it on ourselves, chickens sheep horses cow everything, dont know whether you use face book but look her up "well horse uk" hope this is of use to you and good luck with ur baby healing! x

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
It is doing really well and is healing by what is known as 'secondary intention'. The vet was obviously unable to staple or suture it because it was either too superficial or it was impossible to pull the edges together, maybe because some tissue was lost. I would expect it to improve steadily over the next three months. It is important to keep it clean and dry. The skiin and tissues will regenerate by forming scab like material in the base of the cut. This will then slowly evolve back to normal skin. I suspect there will be a scar which will fade with time. Doubt if normal hair will regrow along the scar line though it may do. You are doing a good job. Good luck.

Keltic

Visit site
Thanks guys, im sure we will get there slowly but surely! Im not worried about scars as she is my precious princess regardless and her only job is to eat and try and stay out of trouble! lol but she is 31 years old now and prob will never grow up/ be sensible but I can live in hope eh?

abina

Visit site
That's looking so much better ! Have a word with your vet if you have any worries - although from the pics I'd say it's healing nicely. Well done !

Spring Feather

Visit site
It is all looking so much better already. For wide wounds which can't be stitched hydrocortisone can be used if you want to try to get the edges to grow closer together. You put the hydrocortisone very lightly into the centre of the wound and it stems the growth of tissue there whilst allowing the outer edges of skin to continue growing towards each other. However, in your horses case I personally wouldn't bother. The wound is healing up nicely and facial hair in that area is sparse anyway so I don't think the scarring will be bad.

Tinsel Town

Visit site
oh my goodness! that is a very nasty gash isnt it!! how on earth did she manage to do that in her stable!
but it looks like it is healing very nicely, no dark dead skin, all nice and pink so good blood flow :) well done you!

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
Looking good!!!

Dont worry about the skin knitting together, it will do.

This was my ponies side after surgery for a broken rib and the second picture was only 2 months later. Bearing in mind he had had a large part of infected flesh cut away where the hole is and you could fit more than a fist into the hole :( I didnt get to take a picture when finally healed as i lost him to colic 2 days after the last picture was taken :( but it shows how the skin pulls together..

P1010521.jpg

P1010641.jpg