Herd dynamics - no females

ClaretCarrot

Visit site
I'm just wondering about herd dynamics in an established herd (same group of horses for years)
I've recently lost my one and only mare (who was also the matriarch despite her failing physical ability) and I am left with 5 geldings. I'm quite conscious that the herd dynamics have changed considerably. There is a crazy part of me that thinks I should get a mini mare just to make sure they have a normal "herd" with a female. Is that crazy?

Mister Ted

Visit site
The mare is certainly an important player within the herd and I find the behaviour of them interesting to observe.When my Welsh pony gelding was introduced as a newcomer to two mini Shetland mares they harried him up and down the field rearing up on him and bossing him about while he did his best trying to keep out of their way.It was amusing to see them -minis with attitude.!They all eventually got on after a few weeks the mares being independent and free spirited. I help looking after some rescue horses and there is a timid mare who is absolutely devoted to a gelding and rarely leaves his side and he is fond of her.It is only possibly to catch her if she is right beside her fella otherwise forget it.They have been together with another mare and two other geldings for a number of years living out.At hay feeding time she takes over though,chasing off the rest-(apart from her boyfriend of course) with head down ears back racing after them.One dominant gelding was getting fed up with this at feeding time went after her and gave her a good nip on the withers.It sorted her out for a while though. I was never very fond of mares probably with the hassle of their tempraments at my last livery yard when they come into season but I have changed my view and think it is good to have them in a herd.It is their feminine instinct within the herd which is so distinct from the gelding that makes it complete I think.

Dubsie

Visit site
It is very interesting, our herd is 2 large mares one is 8 the other about 15, 2 x 5 year old medium ponies (mare & gelding, lived together since v young) and a real old cob who is 25+. The 2 large mares are best buddies, and they both allow the old cob to graze with them, share their food etc. However if the 2 large mares are not out or nearby the 2 youngsters totally bully him, move him away from any food, won't let him graze with them. If the either or both large mares see these youngsters bully the cob then both have a right go at them! The 2 mares get on well enough with the youngsters to not quibble with them other than when they are nasty to the cob, they'll even do a bit of mutual grooming with them. Yet the large mares will not tolerate the youngsters sharing their food/patch of grass. The whole herd do get on well a a herd though. Definite pecking order too, the older large mare is definitely top dog.

pennyturner

Visit site
I have the quietest herd you could wish for. 5 stallions, 6 geldings, no mares.
Just like a bachelor herd in the wild, they get on very well, groom each other, play (nicely), and generally muddle along beautifully.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I now only have two geldings and a colt (big shock for those that know me well, lol!) and they couldn't be happier.
Interestingly, I had the two geldings and a mare during the summer and she was most definitely not a herd member, she was made an outcast by them both but I swapped her for a colt foal in autumn who was immediately welcomed into the fold and they all play like crazy. Rowan, the eldest is boss but they all three play well together or in a pair; the colt isn't bothered who he plays with as long as they play.
I personally wouldn't go out to get a mare unless you needed one for something else; the remaining boys will already have sorted themselves out by now.

Annagain

Visit site
My boys live in a herd of 10 geldings. The core is very settled - 4 of them (known as the grey boys) have been together 10+ years, another 3 for about 6 years and the last 3 have all joined in the last 18 months. The dynamic is fine, when one of them joins they live in an adjacent field for a week and then move in. They're all a bit flighty for a day or two but then settle.

The grey boys are inseperable and only really have eyes for each other. They tolerate the others and there's very little disagreement in the herd but they don't really pay them any attention. I think they've formed their own white supremacist gang. The smallest and oldest of the 4 is top dog of the whole herd. He's assertive but never aggressive and does enough of putting the others in their place so the other 3 don't have to. The other 3 grey boys follow him round like he's Danny Zucko (sp?) and they're the other T-birds.

I imagine they'll be unsettled for a while and will then sort themselves out with a new leader and get back to their little ways.

Last edited:

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I only have geldings 5yo-21yo and they all get on famously. To be honest, I wouldnt even look for a mare for me and my lot-the biggest separation anxieties I've seen have been between mares and geldings (thats not to say it can't happen the other way). Herd dymanics will sort themselves out and as stated, bachelor herds are the norm.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
We only ever have geldings. We had a very dominant pony gelding for 20 years (we had him rig tested - negative) and him and his horse buddy did tend to terrorise everyone a bit - certainly newcomers, although they were nice to each other once they got along. Although remove any on of them from the herd for even a few days, and you would have to do the whole re introduction thing again.

These days we have 5, 3 horses, pony and a mule - all geldings. I'm not sure we will ever have a mare - the mule is trouble enough! He is certainly the boss in many situations, despite being the youngest and smallest of the bunch :D

ClaretCarrot

Visit site
Thanks a million for all the input. I guess they were all grieving the actual pony rather than her position in the herd. They were all visibly depressed and quiet after she died, some still acting strangely. There has been no infighting, they just seem sad and depressed. So no new mares for me :)

ClaretCarrot

Visit site
Did you allow them to see and sniff the body as that usually helps them a lot to come to terms with loss?
I did. Their reaction was really quite powerful. One of them lay down beside her. Her son, who has always been stabled beside her, is now reluctant to go into his stable despite knowing there is food in there (previously he used to open the door himself and go in)

flirtygerty

Visit site
Herd dynamics are fascinating, I had a small herd of four, one mare, (20+) one old gelding,(20+) an 11yr old gelding herd leader/bully and a 5yr old, 11yr old went out on loan and the others were lost, it must have been two weeks before they settled, the only constant was the 5yr old was still chased off, they now seem to have agreed the old gelding is now in charge, with the mares say so, the youngster is still bottom of the pile