Here is a post i never thought i would make - the BEST present of all time!

Delicious_D

Visit site
You will have to bear with me, i am an over-emotional mess where i am so unbelievably happy.

Delicia has been on-off lame for a VERY long time, it started getting worse in December last year where she would go crippled but no one (vets, farriers, physio's etc) could work out why. With rest she improved, but as the year went on, her attitude changed. She became almost unridable with it building up until August there i spent over an hour with a horse rearing and throwing herself around, being bloody dangerous and i was stuck in a forest. I would try and pat her to relax her and she squeeled. Something was very wrong. But i couldnt dismount as i knew dee and i knew she would bolt. I couldnt risk it. I coaxed her home. What is a 5 minute walk took over an hour with her planting and refusing to budge. I remember getting her back, untacking her and she was suddenly fine again. I went home and cried. My horse was telling me something was wrong but despite having very experienced people around me, no one knew what was up.

The next day she was lame in all four legs, as the day progressed she became sound but then the following day she was presenting lami-type symptoms in both hind feet with a very strong digital pulse, sweating and generally very unhappy. I called the vet, the vet thought and absess and told me to poltice her. I knew it wasnt but i polticed anyway and prayed for pus.

I took her off all sugars and gave her soaked hay and grass nuts only. I bandaged all four legs and prayed the next day she would be fine. She wasnt, and there was no pus. However her pulse had gone down and she seemed a little more comfortable so she was on complete box rest with a very deep bed.

After a week she had no heat anywhere, her pulse wasnt up but she was very stiff. We walked very gently in hand and called the vet for advise. I got a new chiroractor out who noticed some real issues in her pelvis and back. She was very sensitive and becoming hard to rug up, becoming nippy when a rug was moved on her, something she never does.

As the months progressed Delicia yo-yo'ed between being lame and then fine. Under vet instructions we rode her in just walk and a little trot and she seemed ok. We progressed to cantering in straight lines and that seemed fine. I eve managed to take her into our cross-countru field for a little canter and she seemed fine.

Three days later she wasnt fine, she was dead lame again and this time she didnt come sound. The treatments were not holding and at that point i called tha vet and told them i needed this investigating more.

We lunged her both on hard surfaces and soft and they couldnt pick up on what i could see, it was really rather frustrating! Luckily, i had the backing of my trainer and friend, who knew the horse as well as I and we both knew something was very wrong.

In the end the vet said they would xray her back, but not until i had a saddler come out. The saddler came out and said the saddle was fine but my mare must have pulled a muscle in her back. This echo'ed the vets thoughts but i knew deep down this wasnt a torn muscle. So they xrayed, not thinking they would find anything. They did. She had 8-9 impinging processes with new calcification. They were shocked and immediately booked her in for a bone scan the following week.

As i dropped her off at the vets, i was shaking like a leaf. I gave her a huge hug and lots of kisses and was terrified of what was going to happen to my beautiful horse.

The 'kissing spine' term was used a lot and i was told to get myself ready to make a big decision concerning Delicia's future. I was heartbroken and very, very scared. They bone scanned her and it came up with numerous issues. Alongside nerve blocking in her back, SI join and both hind suspensories she was diagnosed with Kissing spines, SI disease, and increased bone uptake in her offside hing fetlock and nearside hind pastern. This combined with some heat spots in both her suspensories made the vets stuned. They couldnt believe up until now Delicia had not being showing symptoms.

Looking back, she had, its just they were so subtle we didnt put two and two together, there was always an excuse for her 'bad' behaviour, not once did i suspect a pain response. I felt gutted and so unbelievable guilty.

The vets, however, were amazing. I made it aware i didnt want Delicia to go through an operation but in all fairness, it was never offered to me. The kissing spines although present, are not the main area of concern, her sacro-illiac joint is. It showed bone remodelling that should not be there.

So a plan of action was afoot. Delicia was to have Depo-medrone injections (steroids), Tildren treatment and shockwave therapy. Then she would be coming home!

Delicia was an angel for the vets, i think she knew they were trying to help and so she took the treatments very well and the next day, was discharged from horspital after a 5 day stay with orders to be on box rest for 3 days then to start lunging in a pessoa and walking in hand to help further aid her treatment.

Poor Delicia has dropped over 100kg of weight in a few weeks. She looked dreadful. Have had ulcers in the past i was worried the stress would cause them to re-occur so she was put on adlib hay and a high fibre only diet. With the help of some very supportive HHO'ers, i added micronised linseed to her diet. The best thing ever.

So we have been doing everything the vet ordered. Lunging 4-5 times a week in the pessoa, gradualling increasing the intensity and adding trotting poles so she engaged her hind end more the help the SI joint. She has been an angel and with the work programme, hacking in hand and 3 feeds a day, she looks better then ever.

She had her second shockwave thereapy 2 weeks ago and the vets said i needed to start riding her again. Just gentle walk and trot only, and only if sound, but it would be the only way i would know if the treament was helping. It was a 50:50 chance Delicia would be ok, and it was mentioned if she was still humping under the saddle and rearing etc, the treatment hadnt worked and we would be looking at a very poor prognosis.

So....today.... i decided i needed to know. All these months of heartache and worry, i needed to know my overgrown pony was going to be okay. I needed to know for both me and her, for if she was still in pain i would end all treament and fully retire her. Very, very careful i tacked her up, checking her for any signs of discomfort or pain. She moved a touch but nothing more then that, there was no pain response so i did up the girth loose at first and gave her ten mins to adjust to the weight again. She proceeded to stuff her face :D. Clearly stressed ;) . After hopping about the yard puting my own boots on (i prolapsed 2 discs in my spine in september and have DDD now), so trust me, i cannot bend all that great so putting boots on is, erm, interesting. Luckily i didnt faceplant and so we were good to go. I took her to the mountblock and lowered myself into the saddle.

I needn't have worried, she was fine. I gave her a pat and walked to our indoor school. I cannot tell you the feeling, she felt a lok stronger and more secure then she has ever felt before! Before her diagnosis, it felt as thought she was very unsecure in her pelvis and snatching her hind limbs up, but there was none of this now. I walked about on a very loose rein, allowing her to adjust her own position to what was comfortable and focused on what i could feel.

Although her gait seemed shorter, it was more correct. She did run off throught he bit but waited. She was more correct in her bends on a large 20m circle and wasnt falling away from my right leg (the calcification is worse on the right side).

I even did a very sneaky trot ;). Only a long side on both reins but..wow! We did it.

All these months of heartache, uncertainty, the relief that finally someoen listened and agreed something was wrong, the upset over her diagnosis and worry over her prognosis, it was all worth it. I had my horse back!

I brought her to a halt and ran my hand down her neck like i always do. She breathed out slowly, a nice relaxing sigh, and licked and chewed at the bit. She was happy. There was no sign of pain. I can still feel a little grelim in there, its very subtle and no one on the ground could see it, but i can feel it.

We are not there yet, by no stretch of the imagination, BUT it is a very positive step and i am over the moon. I have never been prouder of my horse. Her temperament and acceptance of all the nasty horrid things we and the vets have done ;). She has behaved wonderfully. Walking back to the yard she disgraced herself shying at...wait for it...a pile of poo. *shakes head*. Have said this, she felt lovely and loose as she passaged past.

Delicious_D

Visit site
I dismounted slowly, making sure not to hurt dee and untacked even slower. No flinching as the saddle was taken off and no dipping when i ran my hand down her back. She was fine, and happy.

So i did what all horse owners do, took myself off to the tack room once dee was sorted and burst into tears. Up until a few weeks ago i never truely admitted to myself, or anyone around me how scared i was that i was going to loose Delicia. She is more than a horse, she was my inspiration to get well and i owe her everything.

She will never compete again, but i dont care. She will be ridden again. And if she progresses as well as she has been, she has a very bright, long and happy future ahead of her.

So you see, i got the best Christmas present money couldnt buy (well.....of a fashion ignoring the huge vet fees :O ), I got my horse back. And i couldnt be happier. So here is to you Delicia, my love and my life, i am so immensly proud of you, but you probably will never understand how much you rule my emotions.

walk

599633_10151154915070978_1199785811_n.jpg

trot

164617_10151154915165978_693124130_n.jpg

530302_10151154915350978_452050488_n.jpg

And a good girl pat at the end :D

65140_10151154915345978_771934080_n.jpg

I want to thank everyone who has helped me, from the grooms who have looked after her so well, to the wonderful vets, my new farrier who is very careful when shoeing her as so not to hurt her, my wonderful McTimmony therapist who refered her to the vets, and all the wonderful HHO'ers on facebook who were there for me through thick and thin. But most of all, i want to thank my sponsor, for being there through the phone calls and supporting me no matter what.

Thank you for making what seemed like a dream come true.

Rachel and Delicia

Delicious_D

Visit site
That's wonderful news, long may it continue !! She's gorgeous :)

Thank you, i think so too :) I bought her a new noseband for christmas and new fluffy overreach boots - seems her feet has grown as she need extra large OR boots now *rolls eyes*. However the noseband fitted a treat and i can exchange the OR boots. :D

0310Star

Visit site
That is a lovely story! :) I remember you posting a while back, you are in my area goudhurst right?
My horse also had Tildren in September and is like a new horse! I really hope you continue to progress and have many happy years together :)

Delicious_D

Visit site
That is a lovely story! :) I remember you posting a while back, you are in my area goudhurst right?
My horse also had Tildren in September and is like a new horse! I really hope you continue to progress and have many happy years together :)

Yes! I am based @ Bedgebury Park EC in gouldhurst, you are more then welcome to contact me and pop and see the Dee anytime :)

For all she's been through she's looking fab :D

Yes definetly looking well, but it hasnt been easy :(. Ive had to really be very careful what she's fed, especially as we are having steroid injections.

This was her when she first went lame.

292320_10150976801705978_4764226_n.jpg

Back from the vets

540079_10151104640040978_1238976442_n.jpg

last week

524903_10151150165060978_1852047815_n.jpg

Aww, congratulations :)

thank you :D xx

0310Star

Visit site
I thought so! I would recognise those schools anywhere :) I am in frittenden so just down the road! She does look fantastic, she is a credit to you! :)

Izzwizz

Visit site
Really good news for you both, I know how you feel. We have our horse back who we sold 4 yrs ago and she now has kissing spines, Vets say probably due to her way of going.. She had lots of pessoa work before she was given to me, a story in itself.! She is rideable and seems to be doing just great. It can be done with time and patience..you have a beautiful horse.

Delicious_D

Visit site
Blinking brilliant lass :D

Thank you MM - hows your horse doing (the one that had the Tildren?)

Aww this is great news! Best of luck to you and her xxx

Thank you :) xx

Really good news for you both, I know how you feel. We have our horse back who we sold 4 yrs ago and she now has kissing spines, Vets say probably due to her way of going.. She had lots of pessoa work before she was given to me, a story in itself.! She is rideable and seems to be doing just great. It can be done with time and patience..you have a beautiful horse.

Fantastic news Izzwizz - KS needn't be a death sentence, but its the SI disease thats the issue. I know its all management rather then treatment, but we shall see. Rome wasnt built in a day. :)

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
So pleased for you both. Its quite a magical moment when you get back in the saddle after such uncertainty, isn't it ?
She's very beautiful. Best wishes for 2013.

Delicious_D

Visit site
How lovely! :D

Thank you :D

So pleased for you both. Its quite a magical moment when you get back in the saddle after such uncertainty, isn't it ?
She's very beautiful. Best wishes for 2013.

Its amazing, i did think i might have to get straight off her but no she was fine. Ive missed riding her so much and have been very down lately about the whole affair. :)

That's great news! :D

It is isnt it :D its fab!

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
What a lovely story, so pleased for you and your girl and so lovely to read a happy ending. She is stunning- out of interest, what breed is she? Very pretty girl :)

All the best for the future

Delicious_D

Visit site
What a lovely story, so pleased for you and your girl and so lovely to read a happy ending. She is stunning- out of interest, what breed is she? Very pretty girl :)

All the best for the future

She's a grandaughter of Donnerhall, a pink papered hanovairan graded mare :)

Still wonky m'duck. Lame in trot on a straight line now. Stesshead horse. Vet next week/week after (depends when farrier available). Tildren not worked so far.

That sucks :( i was catching up on your thread on CR, very worryign time for you *healing vibes*

welshcob*

Visit site
You have been through so much, must've been so hard on you both. Brought a tear to my eye reading this, so pleased for both you & your lovely horsey. Wishing you many more happy years together xx