Here we go again ... is this spavin ?

cellie

Visit site
Brief history horse had Ks op success but still lame in front . Navicular diagnosed after irap osphos and barefoot huge improvement in last few weeks . He wanted to trot we have only been walking ... Head bobbing lame similar to when he was diagnosed with Ks . When he was lame on front leg head came up in trot . Now head is going down when hind leg is engaged esp when riding, I lunged and videod tonight , he is dragging his right hind but no head bobbing . It hurts as he Broncs after few moments . My first thought is spavin . Had dealings with this with another horse . It seems to make sense as lameness is worse when he tries to engage back end also as I've just started ridden work . I'm almost finding this embarrassing back to vets and insurance company again . 3 years of constant injuries and care he's had splints lacerated his leg to bone it's never ending . Quite honestly I've considered retirement he's 7 but if this is last ailment will be gutted I haven't tried to do this one last treatment . So do any of you feel this sounds like spavin and if so what is latest treatment . I can't face more ops and don't want yo put him through it it's taken months toget his confidence back and he's not Been easy horse . I have called my vet / surgeon who has treated him and he's away for week . At my wits end

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
I think you are jumping ahead of yourself by fearing spavins, they usually come on very slowly as the bony changes become more pronounced, as he has been examined thoroughly fairly recently I would think it is something more acute to cause him to be so obviously lame, probably a muscle pull or tweak is far more likely than arthritis.

cellie

Visit site
The op for Ks was October last year which is when he first displayed this lameness . I'm just wondering if it was missed due to more acute problems . The style of lameness has been same and nerve blocking front legs and back only improved nodding it's always been bit of mystery Vet did think that he had learnt behaviour but I've always seen this weakness in hind leg . He had bone scans so was hoping that it would have been picked up .

BethH

Visit site
You know the head noddling could be a lack of balance in turn caused by a lack of fitness. Am sure you've done the rehab to death over the last year, but does it improve or worsen with work. Can you do some long reining to fitten further and walk him up and down some hills to get some weight bearing on the back end. If muscle can support the back end and strengthen the back leg then that might help.

I would also go back to the vet and ask if the bone scan showed any other hot spots apart from back. My KS horse only had hot spots in the back not legs when he was operated on 8yrs ago and last year we had a hock issue and the scan showed hot spots only on the hock nothing through the back! Might give you an indication.

Also does the back leg move in a paddling slightly circular way, can be a sign of spavin? Last couple of thoughts, get a chiro to check the pelvis, something could be misaligned after all he has been through and my horse is particularly susceptible to this and it does cause an odd back end movement. Also ulcers can cause odd movement in the right hind, incorrect movement will cause the head nodding.

Good luck I am still trying to sort mine out and it's exhausting, just wish they could talk! Don't panic yet be positive is right it could just be muscular, mine moves much better with the spavin when he is asked to work properly and the movement improves dramatically after warming up.

Last edited:

cellie

Visit site
You know the head noddling could be a lack of balance in turn caused by a lack of fitness. Am sure you've done the rehab to death over the last year, but does it improve or worsen with work. Can you do some long reining to fitten further and walk him up and down some hills to get some weight bearing on the back end. If muscle can support the back end and strengthen the back leg then that might help.

I would also go back to the vet and ask if the bone scan showed any other hot spots apart from back. My KS horse only had hot spots in the back not legs when he was operated on 8yrs ago and last year we had a hock issue and the scan showed hot spots only on the hock nothing through the back! Might give you an indication.

Also does the back leg move in a paddling slightly circular way, can be a sign of spavin? Last couple of thoughts, get a chiro to check the pelvis, something could be misaligned after all he has been through and my horse is particularly susceptible to this and it does cause an odd back end movement. Also ulcers can cause odd movement in the right hind, incorrect movement will cause the head nodding.

Good luck I am still trying to sort mine out and it's exhausting, just wish they could talk! Don't panic yet be positive is right it could just be muscular, mine moves much better with the spavin when he is asked to work properly and the movement improves dramatically after warming up.
I've done plenty of long reining but we are flat part of uk . I don't see a circular movement more of a drag and he's not picking up hip that well . He's had his back checked by mc timoni and saddle check . He's volatile to ride outside of school as he's very fresh and road work wouldn't be safe . I'm waiting for call from vet he's mentioned a learnt behaviour but this doesn't explain poor movement in field or on lunge . Thanks for feedback

BethH

Visit site
Are you able to post a video of the movement. If it's a drag wondering whether it could be heel pain/underrun heels/toe first landing??? Probably not but just a thought... Sadly from experience, poor heels can cause a lot of hock stress as the foot fall is incorrect. Slowing a video of his movement can give some insight.

Last edited:

cellie

Visit site
I took video on lunge only few circuits ( I don't normally with navicular just for studying his movement ) happy to share but probably be easier to email .

cellie

Visit site
Are you able to post a video of the movement. If it's a drag wondering whether it could be heel pain/underrun heels/toe first landing??? Probably not but just a thought... Sadly from experience, poor heels can cause a lot of hock stress as the foot fall is incorrect. Slowing a video of his movement can give some insight.
I forgot to mention I buted last night and this morning and was very surprised at how stiff he looked tonight . If anyone wants to take a look maybe pm with email or what's app etc I'd be grateful for input . Waiting for my vet is painful !!!

applecart14

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your boy, but I'm not entirely suprised. Usually kissing spine over compensates onto the hind limbs and causes supensory problems. If the horse does have arthritis this overcompensation will make it worse. If it is spavin its not the end of the world, there is a lot they can do.

There are steroid injections as a first point of call, or Tildren if the injections aren't any good.
Or you can have chemical arthrodesis (injection of alcohol into hock joint).

My horse had all three treatments, and is really going great after the last one some three years later. So don't lose hope, there is so much that can be done these days. I remember when my horse was first diagnosed and I thought that was it. After a few weeks we were back competing despite having further set backs with suspensory branch problems. We are fun riding, jumping, dressaging and next weekend about to do our second ODE this year. He is 18 years of age and going great.

The vets saw him recently as they were on call. It was at the end of a gruelling 10 mile fun ride and as we trotted up to them they both said he was perfectly sound and looked really well.

cellie

Visit site
My horse in profile had arthrodesis I think I remember when your horse was diagnosed . He had Osphos injections for navicular which is similar to tildren . In some ways I would be relieved if it's spavin at least I have experience . How unlucky can one horse be he's only 7 . If it is it explains his head bobbing ridden but not on lunge ... Having to lift riders weight is probably causing it . He puts his head down when working from behind . I had suspensory scanned before ks op so hoping they are still ok . My vet is back next week

noblesteed

Visit site
Mine has spavin, he just had hock injections, corrective shoeing and turmeric and he was ok as long as he was in work. His right was worse than his left. He was almost sound after a year, and got better and better. The left is worse now as he's been out of work with another injury!

The signs were - paddling hind legs when walking. Unhappy to bend left. Changing behind in canter. When riding it felt like he was jolting my right hip forward. He was reluctant to go up and down hills. But the most telling sign was that he had worn his hind shoes unevenly. The right one was completely worn down. That's when the farrier said it was time to get him to the vet for treatment.
So I would ask your farrier/ trimmer if barefoot.

cellie

Visit site
I'll take a look thanks for that should have thought about hooves . Silly horse went daft in his paddock last night so walked him in school on soft surface .. Not happy but much more comfortable on grass . Did yours show lameness ridden I'm also considering sacroiliac as he doesn't head bob on lunge but is throwing his head up and down in trot if ridden . I'm not riding waiting for my vet to ring on Monday as he did all his ops . He's never been able to pick up right canter lead hence Ks op as X-rays showed impingement . Spavin was one of things I asked vet to check on bone scans originally there wasn't sign then but I'm suspicious now . Can't see him suffering like this he's had horrid time .