Here we go - eBay woes. Any advice?

PercyMum

Visit site
I think I know the answer but just thought I'd see what everyone else's opinions are.

I sold a lovely saddle on eBay that I measured as a 17.5" M-MW. Saddler confirmed it was this size. Purchaser asked me to rush saddle to her, which i did. She describes her horse which in no way is the right sort of horse for this saddle buy hey ho, her choice.

Has just told me the saddle is 18" and wants her money back and has piccies to prove it. Gut instinct is that I have to do so as she could claim 'not as described', when I think it is (and saddler says so). But actually, my feeling is it doesn't fit her horse, and never would have!! She is being perfectly pleasant but I just wondered what your thoughts were?

JillA

Visit site
Depends on whether you want a quick resolution or to stand your ground. You could refuse to take it back, or take it back if they pay all the postage, but they will probably open a dispute and unless you get stroppy with them, ebay usually find in favour of the buyer, despite any evidence you produce. You might persuade ebay to waive the commission if you prove she is in the wrong.
I sold a saddle, buyer said the tree was broken, eventually I got it back and had my saddler open it. She very kindly did a report with photographs and I emailed ebay UK CEO. They investigated and refunded me the full amount - eventually, but it took time and effort. The ebay CEO contact details are on here http://www.ceoemail.com/

WelshD

Visit site
Ask for a pic of how she is measuring it. If their measurement is correct then you effectively mis sold it and should refund, eben if you sold it in good faith you should have run a measure over it yourself and included a pic of that in the sale. If their measurement is wrong then stand your ground

Magister

Visit site
Wasn't there another almost identical post a few days from someone who had sold a saddle through Preloved?. I think the general concensus was that it may have been a scam of some sort (demanding expenses etc) and that the buyer had probably done it before. Look at their ebay feedback as it may tell you if they have bought several saddles. Ask them to send you a photo of a tape measure from centre of cantle to the front stud. If they have measured it incorrectly (ie to the pommel then that could explain it.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I bought an Ideal h&c saddle recently on eBay. I had checked with the vendor that the tree width (stamped on the stirrup bar) was Wide but didn't ask for photos confirming that the size was the stated 17.5".

On receiving the saddle, it measured as slightly over 18" centre point of cantle to mid stud. I notified the vendor immediately but said that I would try it on the horse anyway, as otherwise it was in good order.

Luckily, it fitted well, as the panels are quite short, so I confirmed my acceptance of the saddle asap. It was all quite amicable, as the vendor assured me that she had been sold it s/h as a 17.5", and I had no reason to doubt her. However, I would have returned the saddle as being of the wrong size, if it had not worked out well my end.

Moral of the story, is to get photos of the saddle being measured pre sale.

OP, I second the suggestion that you ask the purchaser to send you pics of the saddle with a tape measure in action.

PercyMum

Visit site
Thanks all - she has done this and its just about nearly 18" - interestingly I do have a picture of the saddle with the tape measure and I measured it as spot-on 17.5", and we measured from the same points.

I cannot be bothered with the argument as she has been perfectly pleasant about it. I just have no idea who would want to buy an 18" :-(. Pretty peeved with the saddler who sold me it as a 17.5" though...

Goldenstar

Visit site
Thanks all - she has done this and its just about nearly 18" - interestingly I do have a picture of the saddle with the tape measure and I measured it as spot-on 17.5", and we measured from the same points.

I cannot be bothered with the argument as she has been perfectly pleasant about it. I just have no idea who would want to buy an 18" :-(. Pretty peeved with the saddler who sold me it as a 17.5" though...

A man will buy an 18 inch or a tall woman .
I have several for the horses my OH and my friend who test pilots ride .

dixie

Visit site
What is the make? If you have the serial number you can ring the maker and they will tell you the size of the saddle. I did this recently with Black Country and Exselle and it took a few minutes..

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm 5'10" and prefer an 18", but usually ride in a 17.5" as I seem to acquire short backed horses! Was delighted that this 18" Ideal fitted my lad, and is roomy for me, it was a happy accident.

They do sell, there's a lot of us tall riders out there.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Take it back and re-list with lots of photos with a tape measure along side. I bought one that was not as described, so did that and made a respectable profit! I suspect a lot don't know what the sizes mean so the tape measure is the best way out all round.

Angelbones

Visit site
I a 5'8 and ride in an 18" as it fits my thigh length better. Not all saddles are measured to be an exact size (not explained that very well). I often see Kieffers advertised as 17.5" etc but in reality they don't make that size, they make whole sizes eg 17 or 18" in certain models so it does depend on the make of the saddle. What make was yours? As above, either try to identify the saddle via serial number and the manufacturer or stand your ground and say it was bought as described, or take it back and save yourself a battle and relist it. In reality there is little difference from 17.5 to 18" but if it doesn't fit her horse and she can measure it as 18 you could well have a fight on your hands, so take the easy road and save yourself the hassle, take it back and start again. You could try selling it to a saddler - I've had no end of trouble getting hold of 18" anything when I wanted one. Oddly enough my 18" Albion K2 GP fitted a very short backed horse that only other brand 17" saddles fitted.

TT55

Visit site
Funny you should post this OP, as i just bought a saddle on ebay that was not as described, similar to the situation you are posting about. I am not usually one to kick up a fuss and am most definitely not a scammer, but although the saddle that i bought is lovely, it is miles to small, and given that it should have been ok based on the description, it's pretty annoying. Pretty peeved that i'm now going to be ~£20 out of pocket to return the saddle and i'm also unhappy that the seller will be out of pocket for their postage too, because i know it was a genuine mistake :( Lessons learnt i guess!

montanna

Visit site
This happened to me. I sold a saddle as a 17" on ebay, again bought and fitted from my saddler so 99.9999999% sure it wwas 17". Mare it was bought for was a short coupled 16hh, I am size 8 and 5'5 so no way would have required a 18" saddle.

Buyer said it was 18", we argued back and forth for a while. She then DAMAGED the saddle and opened a dispute. Ebay made me take the saddle back and refund her... (she was responsible for paying for postage back to me - which she didn't like either!). I was then stuck with a damaged saddle and no money, which I sold on via preloved at a massive loss.

Would never ever use ebay for selling saddles again!!! Completely left a sour taste in my mouth.

Although it's soooo not fair, after my experience, I would recommend you take the saddle back for a refund before she does something stupid (like damage it!). Then you will be in the same boat as me!

At least then you can sell it on again :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I think I know the answer but just thought I'd see what everyone else's opinions are.

I sold a lovely saddle on eBay that I measured as a 17.5" M-MW. Saddler confirmed it was this size. Purchaser asked me to rush saddle to her, which i did. She describes her horse which in no way is the right sort of horse for this saddle buy hey ho, her choice.

Has just told me the saddle is 18" and wants her money back and has piccies to prove it. Gut instinct is that I have to do so as she could claim 'not as described', when I think it is (and saddler says so). But actually, my feeling is it doesn't fit her horse, and never would have!! She is being perfectly pleasant but I just wondered what your thoughts were?

ATEOTD.

The"ask a seller a question" is there for buyers to ask and re check questions that they might want confirmed eg: size and make. Providing you did measure it from the stud to centre cantle, then your sizing is correct. I don't know if you had the other measurements on width - under part etc, but all of those she could have asked you to check.

If it is as described with accurate description and measures then really its not your problem. My guess is she has ridden on it and doesn't like it so trying the easy way out. When you buy a saddle on Ebay you BUY it, its not like a saddler who can take it to try it, its sold as seen.

Last edited: