Hermaphrodite!

HammieHamlet

Visit site
I read that too and couldnt work out if they were joking or not?
confused.gif

I guess it just means what you described... like a snail??
grin.gif
How strange...

Jemayni

Visit site
It caught my eye too & was of particular interest as we had a horse/foal on our yard for 3 years that was one! Ours was born on the yard after a classic "accidental" pregnancy; she was a beautiful dun filly foal, but was always extremely bolshy & we often joked about how coltish her behaviour was. At the age of 3 the YO decided to put her in foal, as her colour made her desirable as a brood mare. Upon meeting the stallion she squealed and put her foot through the door!!! Obviously, strange behaviour for a mare... But when they later scanned her they found she had testes in place of her ovaries! The YO perservered for a while, she was backed & ridden and was always a lovely ride; unfortunatly upon reaching maturity (5 Years of age) she began to get dangerous when turned out with others; so they tried to have her operated on, due to cost this ended up being unrealistic, eventually the horse was given to a local gyspy family, who have since had her out of grass where on last report she has been happy. What will happen to her in the future I have no idea! Pretty sad tale really, she really was a lovely horse, but was tempermentally never suitable for sale....

piglett

New User
Visit site
Hi, i've got a dun mare who is also a hermaphrodite, girl on the outside but a boy inside, she is 5 years old , had the tests done and just waiting on the operation , only thing is dont know how will turn out, will she be a gelding or even worse natured in the field with others, is fine to handle just hostile and unpredicatable with other horses.

piglett

New User
Visit site
She was always a nightmare in the field with other horses, but she tried to mount another mare so got the vet out to check for granulosa tumour, couldnt find her ovaries never mind a tumour! came back anc scanned her still couldnt see anything so she was referred to dick vet school in edinburgh, they found 2 gonads instead of ovaries , her DNA is female so she is classed as a male pseudohermaphrodite.. took a while to get my head round that one. anyway they want to remove her gonads and they think i will be left with a gelding , can't find anyone whose horse has had the operation and no one really knows how it will turn out , dont want her to be a guinea pig but got to do something with her.