HEROS racehorse rehoming?

SuperCoblet

Visit site
I'm looking for a new horse on loan, and I've heard good reports about heroes, anyone had any horses off them and can you convince my mum not all TB's are nutters And she can hack them out safely :eek:

exracer superstar

Visit site
I can convince u all tbs are not nutters and mine is safer to hack than my friends cob who shies, bucks and bolts at anything. I have no experience with rehoming from hero's I think the criteria is very strict and they are very thorough with finances were the horse is kept etc etc however it is a good cause and failing that you can pick up some gorgeous tbs for a very small sum of money. Mine is absolutely perfect manners, perfect to ride you could sit anyone on her but she is also scopey for someone who is able to ride and has a good BE record and cost me the mighty sum of 1300 purely because she's an exracer but I have seen similar horses with no competition record but capable sell for 300-500. For an ish or something similar u would be looking at least 7000. I think with hero's u are able to take the horse back if you find its not suitable and exchange for something more suitable. Good luck

SuperCoblet

Visit site
That's exactly what I'm looking for, something safe my mum can hack out, but something I can compete a few BE100's on and a nice dressage test or two, I don't even mind bringing it on myself it just needs to be level headed. I think they're good as I'm on a low budget, would they cope being out 24/7 with shelter and the right diet?

Nannon

Visit site
I think heros is a great scheme but I found it quite expensive when I looked into in - they wanted money for the horse and then money to deliver it and we are quite far from them, so figured I could buy my own cheaper?
Would be brilliant if you we're closer I guess, then you have the opportunity to try different ones that have already had a start with retraining, and if the one you get isn't for you I believe you can exchange them! Sounds like a great plan - admittedly you can pick up OTT tbs for dead cheap, my chap was 400 but there's always an element of risk :)
Good luck with the horse hunt!

sunleychops

Visit site
I would be careful if you have a low budget because taking on an ex racehorse is costly, there is no two ways about it.

I'm not saying all TB's are costly but ex racers generally are. I know lol I have one.

exracer superstar

Visit site
I would think if u had a feild shelter and some heavy rugs plenty of haylage and good hard feed it should manage fine. I would deffinatly day a feild shelter though so they can get in out the wind and rain. I would winter mine out in a feild shelter as she could roam in and out as she pleases, she wouldn't stand in the cold, rain and wind all day but as long as there's plenty of haylage available under cover I don't see y not. I would look for something with abit of bone to it it though mine is a quite heavy tb more warmblood/light hunter type as opposed to fine and pretty faced.

exracer superstar

Visit site
If you are looking at buying one I woul. Opt for an exracer who has only raced a few times and failed because of being to slow. You can check this on the racing post by typing the horses racing name in mine had only raced 3 times was last everytime so backed what I was told that she was to slow. She is also clean legged and it wouldn't hurt to have a vet come and trot up once over etc if buget allows I always think it's a risk buying anything so it doesnt make me anymore cautious when viewing an exracer :)

Lolo

Visit site
Ex-racers are just like any other horses- some are amazing hacks, others find they just have to liven things up a bit. Reg, for example, is amazing. Anyone can hack him, he is snaffle-mouthed and as gentle and kind as they come. He's also pretty awesome generally, and is now eventing at 1m easily and moving up to 1.10m. He wasn't a HEROS horse though, Al got him from the field after 18 months off and did it all- I think if you get the basic reschooling done by someone else life is considerably easier!

In terms of keep, they are as easy as any other horse. So can be very easy or quite difficult! Reg eats a considerable amount of food to maintain his condition (2 full waterbuckets of high calorie feed a day, adlib hay and decent grazing) but isn't very fussy and does eat so although it's a lot, it's not difficult!

shmoo

Visit site
I would be careful if you have a low budget because taking on an ex racehorse is costly, there is no two ways about it.

I'm not saying all TB's are costly but ex racers generally are. I know lol I have one.

Second this, love her to pieces but she's expensive to keep. Also, she was one of the too slow ones, 8 races, 7 last and 1 penultimate place :p. I was looking recently on Horsemart and TB's outnumber any other breed 10/1 in the 15.2 to 16.2 section... very sad.

They go for peanuts... such a shame.

Mine lives out 24/7 - it's an art managing the weight/fizzy ratio. Rewarding though. :p

Lolo

Visit site
Second this, love her to pieces but she's expensive to keep. Also, she was one of the too slow ones, 8 races, 7 last and 1 penultimate place :p. I was looking recently on Horsemart and TB's outnumber any other breed 10/1 in the 15.2 to 16.2 section... very sad.

They go for peanuts... such a shame.

Mine lives out 24/7 - it's an art managing the weight/fizzy ratio. Rewarding though. :p

Forgot to say, ours are out 24/7 unless the weather is really bad (and that's only to save grazing) and happier for it.

The ones who've been reschooled properly and are showing good results go for whatever a normal horse goes for- the ones who don't have that advantage are going for peanuts. It depends what you're after really and how willing you are to go back to the basics for a bit.

Al was 15 when she took on Reg and it was quite hard to go from doing the PC teams and champs and riding a schoolmistress pony (albeit a quirky one!) to going round 75cm/80cm while all her friends were off doing what she had been the previous year. Now, she's caught up mostly, and even overtaken some, but it has been tricky. Reg started competing in 2010, and now it's 2013 and he's started to really get it...

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Mine came from Heroes, well just before Heroes was set up but still North Farm stud. Had her just over seven years. She'd run her last race (using the term 'run' very loosely, more meandered ;) ) two weeks before going to North Farm then I ended up with her less than a week later ! I say ended up as went to look at a non Tb they had on the website.
She's been the horse of a lifetime :D

Dumbo

Visit site
Only thing i know about Heros is that they loaned a very riggy horse to my friend and were very difficult to deal with.
Sorry - that's all I know, not helpful at all but good luck :)

SillyMare

Visit site
HEROS generally have a very good reputation (although I'm sure there are instances like the one mentioned above - hard to avoid the odd issue when they have a high throughput of horses).

HEROS (or any other reputable retrainer) are definitely not a cheap option - ex racers can be piced up far cheaper from sales or direct from trainers. However what you are paying for is a reduction in risk and the basic reschooling should be in place.

Like any breed, there is good and bad. To give you an idea of context, I consider myself a competent amateur well used to TBs and fit horses. I used to ride out on Saturdays on a racing yard which had about 20 horses in training at any time. Typically there would always have been 2 or 3 that there is no chance I could have sat on, 1 or 2 that were very easy and tended to be used for less experienced riders with the rest somewhere in the middle. Buying from a professional retrained you reduce the chances that you will bring home something that is too far up the crazy scale for you and your mum.

I love racehorses, those that I have had have all been very trainable and willing to please.