hes decided that he no longer wishes to be turned out, stable is much nicer

StormyMoments

Visit site
anyone elses horse decided this?

for the last week or so Rio has been refusing to go down the slope towards the field, he just stops dead and wont move and we have been encouraging him down with a haynet but this morning nothing was going to make him budge. i didnt even manage to get him out of the corall this morning he just stopped and looked at me like "your joking right? you expect me to go out there? in that?" so it just didnt happen :eek:

hes now in his stable tucking into his hay completely unfazed by the fact that he is on the yard alone with no other horses next door although he can see them down the field :)

all the others were okay to go out they were a bit like errr... but they went out without any trouble :eek:

so what do i do now? what if hes like this for the rest of the winter? and i cant get him out do i just go fine stay in? or force him out? he does go off and eat once hes out and he has a haynet on the fence that he eats but hes never been turned out in all his 8 years until he came to me and he was in spain too so he wouldnt have had to put up with the weather!

hmmm what to do?

anyone elses horse decided they would rather not be out?

StormyMoments

Visit site
usually my ISH would be asking to come in (although he hates the stable so i dont understand his logic) but hes happily grazing :eek: the NF mare at our yard that has never been stabled in all of the 16 years of her life until 3 weeks ago wants to be in though :eek: and the youngster doesnt care at all but Rio was having none of it :eek:

FairyLights

Visit site
Yes both of mine. They were living out apart from 5 or 6 hours in during the day. kept them in t'other night due to weather and now its a job to get them in the field!

FoxTrotx

Visit site
My girl goes through fazes like that. If its wet I'm usually happy to give in and let her stay in but if not I'll make her go out. I don't think there's anything wrong with insisting they go out as long as they're just standing at the gate and not grazing at all.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
My TB gets like this when the fields are particularly boggy. She stops and stares as I'm leading her to the field - normally she's like a steam train wanting to go out. So on the bad days I just put her and my NF out for an hour while I'm doing their stables in the mornings and then get them in again, and they're perfectly happy. They're out today as the weather is fine, and she did want to go out today but I don't see the point in putting them out if all they're going to do is stand at the gate.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Shy LOVES his creature comforts - if he could, he'd have a little fireplace, slippers and a bloomin cigar...he pretends to love being out, but come any rain, wind, mist or darkness, he hoofs it to the gate bucking a farting.

Oh and on days with any of the above, he would rather not go out at all. Even if he's the only one. Some half dales pony, eh ?

cavalo branco

Visit site
I wouldn't force your horse out - he is used to being stabled and not used to mud, from what you've said. Does it matter if stays in?

Mine love being out and are ready to trample me in their haste in the morning- but equally they are keen to come in at night especially when it's raining :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Spit That Out

Visit site
My lad is the same...if the weather is bad, wet, cold, windy, snow, ice he plants his feet at the barn door and refuses to budge until I turn him around and head back to his stable where he's quite happy to stay in and munch hay all day.

Fiona_C

Visit site
My lad was the same for the last 3 years, wouldn't go out and would jump the fence to be in after 10 mins on the few occasions I managed to get him out. This year I have moved yards and he is more than happy to go out even when its bucketing it down (like now).
Horses eh!

humblepie

Visit site
My old horse would happily lean out over his stable door getting soaked and the front of his rug drenched but then other days he would attach himself to his haynet and give me definite hints that he really would rather stay in.

Cheiro1

Visit site
My welshy likes the thought of going out, even in the rain/rubbish weather, but if its pants you can guarentee by the time I have mucked out she is shouting to come back in, and will tow me back in, where she will spend the day happy as larry by herself!!

I swear someone told me natives are hardy! ;)

Oberon

Visit site
The Tank would rather be out, no matter the weather.

Obi, however will let you know if he wants to go out or not......

We turn the other horses out and leave him with haynet.

If he stands and eats the haynet - he wants to stay in.

If he stands at the stable door and shouts - he wants out.

Occasionally he will be undecided and walk halfway across the yard - then he'll stop and look at you.

That's him deciding he wants to go back in :D.

haras

Visit site
My arab mare (currnetly on box rest due to mud fever) was all keen to go out with the others this morning, so I thought I'd take her for a walk. We got as far as the barn entrance, when she saw how hideous the weather was, stopped in her tracks, planted herself and turned round back to her stable!!!

She hates wet weather and I've given up turning her out in it!

ArtyLinz

Visit site
Rode my TB this morning then turned him out in muddy wet field. Shut gate behind him, he turns round and hangs over the gate looking all miserable like he's going to call the RSPCA. Stood there and watched me walk all the way back and then begrudgingly went for his hay. Couple of hours later he was back at gate so I brought him in, happy as larry!

Funny creatures aren't they!!

Autumn sonnet

Visit site
My big lad is the same . Particularly now we've rebuilt the yard so it's almost completely sheltered from the north wind and rain . We would rug him up to go out , and he would streeeeeeeeetch his neck out , until his nose just about reached the outside air, and if his nose got too wet , cold , or worst , both , then he he would inch himself as far back into his stable as he could go , then stand at his hay bucket and look at you expectantly . Still does !

The little Welsh health hazard is not much different . She goes out and starts shivering in a most dramatic fashion if we dare turn her out in the wet , and then stands at the gate and squeals piteously to come back indoors . I thought welsh's were supposed to be hardy ? Or have I got the only welsh wimp ?