HGV plating - Exhaust brakes now in test?

Fourlegsgood

Visit site
This is posted in Tack Room but threads in there quickly disappear down in the list of chatter.

A friend had her box fail its plating last week because the exhaust brake wasn't working. However I also took my 7.5 ton last week (different test centre) and it sailed through despite the exhaust brake being completely seized up and the foot button being broken and invisible under a pile of dust.

Any info from anyone on this one?

Jane_Lou

Visit site
My mechanic was telling me about this when I bought my new lorry last week. From what I remember if there is an exhaust brake fitted it must be working but it can be completely disconnected then its not required. He removed the one on the lorry I bought and it went through the plate.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I would imagine it should be working after all the general rule is if it's fitted it should work, although an exhaust brake is for additional braking (usually when under load) it might be that your braking efforts exceeded the limit (without the exhaust brake) and your friend's failed? Has she seen the print out?

Fourlegsgood

Visit site
My friends apparently failed because it wasn't in working order. I have looked at the vosa hgv mot manual and can't see any requirement for it to be working.

Fourlegsgood

Visit site
The only thing I can find is a reference to the fact that they must not leak air. Lots of people seem to be saying they had heard it was coming in but I have yet to find the document where it states that they have to be working.

Fourlegsgood

Visit site
I think I have found the document now. It seems they can be taken off unless legally required to be fitted at the time the vehicle was manufactured.

dieseldog

Visit site
VOSA introduced about 40 new things in March/April apparently.

Mine failed because the metal bar at the rear that the lights are on went right to the edge of the body - which is fine if it has a tail lift fitted. I have had the lorry 3 years and it has never been a problem before, so we had to remove about 2cm from each end.

I_A_P

Visit site
our mechanics told us it was a 'grey area' on our lorry (under 7.5tonne and N reg). They failed it in the test despite having the lorry to 'check over' for three days prior.

I think in the end they just replaced a piece of pipe. (not sure on the exact details as my dad sorted it out)

smurf

Visit site
My 18 tonne Scania was plated a couple of weeks ago and they tested the exhaust brake for the first time ever and this is my 6th test with that lorry

Fourlegsgood

Visit site
I had my horsebox tested last week and asked the tester about exhaust brakes. He said that if one is fitted they have to check that "it is all there" but do not have to check the operation of it. So mine, which is totally seized up, was fine except that the rubber foot button on the floor is missing so I was given an advisory about that. The horsebox therefore passed it's test.

The tester also said that there is an option to totally remove it but that means that you have to remove everything to do with the exhaust brake including all pipes etc.

Just thought people might like this update as some mechanics seem to have got hold of the wrong end of this and are getting people to repair and replace none working exhaust brakes prior to a HGV MOT test.