HGV v 7.5T Running Costs

Johnny999

Visit site
Hi,

Just enquiring on any experience between 7.5T and small HGV running costs.
Just have another new one to event so could really do with a 4 stall.

Are parts a similar cost?
Does MPG tend to be similar?

Moving up from an old 87 ford to something more modern but hgv

ROG

Visit site
You are more likely to have problems with the EU driver hours regs if you go above LGV C1

The moment you start driving a LGV C you will be subject to the EU daily and weekly rest laws

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Hi,

I had a 12.5 tonne HGV stalled for 4 horses, and it was no more expensive to run than my current 7.5 tonne.
It was actually cheaper to buy, as less demand for older HGV. It was also great when we were doing 3 day events, great to travel long distances, very stable and faster even though limited to 56, as with the beast of an engine we went as fast uphill as down.
Even with everything packed up for a week's stay we had no worries re weight.
BUT as the above poster points out, we sold it a few years ago when they tightened up on working hours. As I recollect if you work Mon-Fri you can only drive on Sat OR Sun, not both as you need a "day off". This is even if you work in an office job.
I don't know how they would prove anything though, as if you are a private user you need the taco fitted, and it must work, but you do not actually need to use it (go figure).

ROG

Visit site
Hi,

I had a 12.5 tonne HGV stalled for 4 horses, and it was no more expensive to run than my current 7.5 tonne.
It was actually cheaper to buy, as less demand for older HGV. It was also great when we were doing 3 day events, great to travel long distances, very stable and faster even though limited to 56, as with the beast of an engine we went as fast uphill as down.
Even with everything packed up for a week's stay we had no worries re weight.
BUT as the above poster points out, we sold it a few years ago when they tightened up on working hours. As I recollect if you work Mon-Fri you can only drive on Sat OR Sun, not both as you need a "day off". This is even if you work in an office job.
I don't know how they would prove anything though, as if you are a private user you need the taco fitted, and it must work, but you do not actually need to use it (go figure).
Private LGV C1 = tacho fitted but no need to use

Private LGV C = tacho fitted and must use by law

If mon to fri in office then its one day driving every other weekend generally because a full unbroken 45 hours rest must be taken every other weekend