HHO Winter Survival Guide.

jodie3

Visit site
Invest in a good quality hand cream and use it frequently.

I wear disposable latex/vinyl gloves under a pair of cheap pimple grip type gloves so even if the gloves get wet or muddy my hands stay dry.

Brontie

Visit site
Ahah! Rugs are also very good for keeping you warm too :) Providing you don't leave your poor horse outside in the snow whilst you've ran off with their rug :p

suzysparkle

Visit site
Buy a set of snow chains if you don't own a 4X4 and keep them in your boot. Seriously. They aren't expensive and will get you home when others get stuck. I wouldn't have got to work for weeks last winter without them. Oh...make sure you practise BEFORE you need them as they take a bit of getting used to. My car has sporty tyres and says you shouldn't use them....but they still did the job!!

Keep waterproofs, boots, headtorch, spare batteries, gloves, screenwash (for when the skoosh freezes and your windscreen gets manky) and food / drink in the car. Oh, and an unread magazine or book plus a blanket.

Make sure you have plenty wine in the house in case you get snowed in.....oh, and food. Also have a camping cooker for when all your power goes off and you don't have gas. No fridge isn't an issue as you can bury wine bottles in the snow.

If it's below zero for long periods there is absolutely no point in filling water troughs. Simply offer water when you can in buckets. If you are on a livery then buddy up for this. Horses aren't stupid and they won't suffer if they don't have free access so long as they are offered water regularly.

If it's going to be a long haul of too deep snow to ride or too icy then let your Horse go barefoot for a month or two.

If your Horse lives out when it gets really bad put a lighweight turnout under your heavy one. That way if your heavy one gets ripped or leaks your Horse stays dry.

Buy lots of vaseline (or cheap equivalent) and pack hooves with them so you can ride in the snow!

Buy lots of merino clothing.

For riding, sealskinz gloves are very warm and waterproof and also Rambo waterproof chaps are great!

Feed lots of hay etc.

Don't live in North Scotland on top of a hill if you can't deal with over 3 months of snow at waist height!!

JessPickle

Visit site
Don't be one of the many idiots who take an unsuitable car out in the snow and cause chaos!

When it last snowed big time, I decided to walk to the yard (a 2hr walk!) as without a 4x4 it was unsafe! On my journey I saw a Porche 911 out, I then saw it go straight into a lamp post!

itsme123

Visit site
seek out spare tail/leg bandages and wrap them around all pipes. Even bits of old rug tied round with baler twine. Most pipes freeze in the early hours so anything that will help keep the cold out until the first person arrives at the yard.

ALWAYS leave a kettle of water at the yard ready to boil the night before.

Bank bedding around water buckets. It really does stop them freezing solid.

layer socks. A few pairs of thin ones will do better than one thick pair.

If you can't stretch to new yard boots then plastic bags over your socks really will keep your feet warm and dry.

Grab a handful of plastic gloves free from petrol stations. You can wear them over your gloves for doing soaking of haynets etc.

Buy fourteen haynets. Fill them all on a sunday.

Deep litter.

Have a backup plan so that if you can't get to the yard because of snow / ice you have someone to call who will feed for you.

Buy hay in advance. Trust me, sledging through 3 inches of compacted snow, down a hill in a car piled high with hay, is not fun. And when you have unexpected snow and were hoping to get a delivery of hay next week, forget it. My supplier couldn't even get into the village and had to deliver to my (terrace) house. I had hay piled in my garden for months!

Quadro

Visit site
Cheap ski trousers from TK Maxx, I got 2 pairs (£15 each!!) and they lasted me the winter, even rode in them and are much cheaper than chaps etc !! Got them ready for this year now !!

Janette

Visit site
Have not bought yet, but intend to buy a pair of full length chaps to try and stop the chilblains on my thighs forming. Had those for the first time last year, and could really live without them....
A good pair of overtrousers for yard work - that extra layer traps the warm air.
A coat with layers, rather than a single thick layer.
A wooley hat.
Ariat Telluride boots - keep your feet far warmer than Devon Pro's do. Wouldn't ride without them in the winter.

mainpower

Visit site
Deep litter, neoprene chaps, coat long enough to cover bottom, Ariat Grasmeres, fill every possible water container at every opportunity, allow extra time as simple chores take twice as long!
Brush up on driving skills and using your gears, last winter I never got stuck in my Micra but there were plenty of 4 x 4s stuck on the roadside! Ask people at your yard not to turn cars round anywhere you will lead your horse as it seems to create a skating rink! Feed haylage or steam hay, keep rug changing to a minimum, ie by "quartering" as it takes the horse time/energy to heat the rug back up. Keep kettles filled at all times.
I hate the snow with a passion!
Last year I used my school for turnout, although it was frozen and covered in snow it was flat without potholes so safer than fields, but I really regretted putting hay out when it thawed and I had to clear it up!

Last edited:

MagicMelon

Visit site
Forgot to say - Sealskinz gloves are so cosy as are their waterproof socks! A down-filled jacket is always the most cosy I find along with my Cavalry insulated sport boots and my fleece (or the wool version) Buff neck warmer. For winter competitions - I swear by my Ariat Insulated Bromonts, never been cold in them yet and their waterproof.

touchstone

Visit site
Wearing tights under jods to keep legs warmer, thermal vests and long johns are a godsend!

Wear Atlas thermal gloves for poo picking and mucking out, neoprene lined boots are lovely and warm too.

Rubbing a cream such as Radium B on your hands will help to keep them warm.

Semi deep litter if horses are in, it keeps the bed warmer and less work for you.

Don't forget chapstick for your lips!

Waterproof gloves are great, although the sealskin ones leave my hands freezing cold for some reason and I have to use thinsulate ones instead.

Get those grippy things that go on the bottom of your wellies, stops you from slipping on the ice.

Keep active to stay warm.

Get a few bags of haylage in for emergency use in case your hay supplier can't get to you. Keep well stocked with feed if the forecast is for bad weather.

Add salt to your horses feed to encourage him to drink, feed feeds well moistened to wncourage water intake and avoid colic.

After all this it'll probably be warm and wet now!

Rosehip

Visit site
Long Johns are a must!!! I have horrific chill blaines every year (think leprosy with knobs on!) but last year I wore thermal long johns under baggier trousers like jogging bottoms/trackies and I didnt suffer half as much! I still got them, but reduced by 70% Id say. I think I got them when I changed into Jods to ride in - this year I wont bother, Ill hide in the sand school and no one can see me! lol!
A hat with ears is a total boon - like this one - http://www.woolyhats.com/store/index.php/multicoloured-fashion-hat-blue-grey.html yeah you look a berk, but who cares, your heads warm!!

Visit site
When rugging up it is better to use lots of think rugs rather than just one thick rug. That way you can add/take off a layer depending on the temperature.

Enfys

Visit site

Kat

Visit site
Magic words:

Goretex

Merino

Pertex

Polar Fleece

Only buy clothing/footwear that has one or more of those on the label - sorted!

Forget horsey brands, get yourself to your local outdoor/mountaineering store to buy clothing. Most of the kit is better quality for no more money than horsey gear. Check out the merino socks, silk glove liners, balaclavas, thermal undies, down filled coats etc etc etc

Buy a Buff (or several) most versatile and useful piece of clothing going!

SVMel

Visit site
Ditto the buff thing! I have them for riding the motorbike and wouldn't be without them!

If your Horse lives out when it gets really bad put a lighweight turnout under your heavy one. That way if your heavy one gets ripped or leaks your Horse stays dry.

I put a cheap light weight OVER my decent heavyweights. If it gets torn or ripped it's easier to repair yourself, dries quicker, easier cheaper and quicker to clean if mud caked, and if it's really trashed much cheaper to replace than your nice expensive heavyweight.
I learnt this when had to share with a rug tearer, and used it last winter to preserve the new heavyweights I'd just forked out for (4 aren't cheap!) Works brilliantly!

Also, cannibalise any trashed t/o rugs, use the outer material to patch other rugs, and keep surcingale straps, fixings and leg straps for repairs too.

Head torches - found a wind up one the other day, no more flat batteries, also got a normal torch like this that has ability to charge your mobile enough for a short emergency call...... Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!

bensonthewonderhorse

Visit site
I have a pair of wellies one size too big so I can get extra layers of socks on, usually one thin pair and a pair of walking socks. This keeps my feet warm without my boots being too tight, i believe restricting blood flow to the feet can cause chilblains as much as the cold weather! Haven't had chill blains for years now.........
Shouldn't have written that I will probably get the worst ones ever now!

Cedars

Visit site
Most importantly, dont take risks, plan for the worst case scenario and keep safe.

Always, ALWAYS have a torch (wind up is normaly safest as you dont have to worry about batteries), a blanket and some form of food in your car. I always throw in a big bar of dairy milk in the boot - then can eat it in February when we survived!

Walk SLOWLY with good ankle supports - when the snow comes, you dont wanna turn your ankles on rock hard uneven ground.

Boiled water is good as our lot refused to drink freezing water.

Vaseline on the feet = no snowballs/ice skates.

Always lead your horse holding onto the end of the leadrope. That way, if they skid or you skid, you wont land on top of each other. It also means you both balance yourselves on the ground - less slipping and falling.

DON'T TOUCH METAL GATES WITH WET HANDS!

I always have a pair of overtrousers in my car. That way, I can go do the horses (turn out if nec), and then just whip off my dirty trousers when you get back in the car. I found last year I got VERY resentful of the horses when for the 6th day in a row one of them kicked mud on my work trousers and I had to go home to get changed!

Its meant to be really bad this winter, apparently worse than last. Eek.

jesterfaerie

Visit site
I put a cheap light weight OVER my decent heavyweights. If it gets torn or ripped it's easier to repair yourself, dries quicker, easier cheaper and quicker to clean if mud caked, and if it's really trashed much cheaper to replace than your nice expensive heavyweight.

I also put a light weight over my heavyweights rather than under them for exactly these reasons.

Rosehip

Visit site
Enfys, Im really really sorry!!! No one wearing a hat like that looks like a berk!! lol! It must just be me!!!! Look!

DSCF0753.jpg

Seee!! Im a berk!!!

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Rosehip you look cosy!!

Great thread! My advice - start aclimatising yourself now, the more you slowly get used to the cold now, the less you'll notice it then!

And agreed, learn how to drive in snow and ice. My Nissan Micra did me proud through everything and we never lost it once, but only because I was careful and knew how to drive it properly!

Rosehip

Visit site
Awww thanks Kitsune!
Definately agree with taking lessons or at least going through the theory of driving in wet/icy/snow conditions. I have unfortunately lost it twice on thick black ice, on a nasty stretch of road shaped like an 'S'. Im sure that crisis was averted (didnt go nto ditch/smash up car/cry too hard) because I knew to stear into the skid and to leave the brakes etc alone. Strangely I felt MUCH more confident/safe in my fiesta zetec than in dads diatsu (sp) which is built to hold the road etc!
Also, sounds mad but dont rug yourself or your horse too hard, as soon as you start moving the sweat will run and you'll be freezing! I often mucked out in that freezing vile weather last year in just a t shirt and sweatshirt, then put my layers back on when I had stopped working!

Enfys

Visit site
Enfys, Im really really sorry!!! No one wearing a hat like that looks like a berk!! lol! It must just be me!!!! Look!

DSCF0753.jpg

Seee!! Im a berk!!!

No, no, oh dear, sorry, I was joking;) I am quite sure you aren't a berk, warm ears, who cares!
What is a Berk anyway, someone from Berkshire?;) (all those from Berks please note the wink!)

I do look silly in mine but I have seen sillier, my rather fit farrier wears ear muffs:) love him.

Actually, absolutely the silliest clothing I have seen in any season is all the farmers in summer wearing long shorts and great heavy work boots with a few inches of very brown, usually skinny legs in between!

Last edited: