HHO'rs horse on Rockley Blog?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I've just looked at Dylan's photos and holy **** - those poor hooves! :( How on earth can what was done to him be considered 'remedial'?

I'm sure he's breathing a sigh of relief to be free from those wedged pads and shoes. I look forward to seeing his updates. :)

Brightbay

Visit site
Don't feel ashamed of the feet, feel proud you're doing your absolute best and researching every option to help him :)
Looking forward to seeing his new feet in a few weeks!

Scarlett

Visit site
Don't worry! He's in the right place and you've done the best thing for him. It's not easy to go against your vet but here's hoping your lad will help change a few opinions and pave the way to help other horses and their owners in a similar situation. :)

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
thank you for your kind words - just read some of the comments on the official post on fbook - yikes :( I know I have done the right thing - just frustrated it took so long and he has borne the brunt of it but fingers crossed this is the start of better times

foxy1

Visit site
His feet are pretty shocking but you have nothing to feel bad about. You have done your best and in my opinion you and your horse have been badly let down by your vet and farrier.

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
he is still my responsibility though I could have changed - nothing to tie me to this person - but I didn't :( I am just so thankful that Nic has taken his case on and for the fab newly qualified vet who has stuck her neck out for me

Brightbay

Visit site
he is still my responsibility though I could have changed - nothing to tie me to this person - but I didn't :( I am just so thankful that Nic has taken his case on and for the fab newly qualified vet who has stuck her neck out for me

I think this is a good thing you're doing too :) IT was a big thing for a newly qualified vet to do - but when Dylan is home and sound, she has a whole career ahead of her having learned that what she did worked - and she'll do the same for other horses :D

Scarlett

Visit site
Lots of us have been there - it took a navicular diagnosis for me to sack my farrier and by that point it was too late. Horse is sound now though and about to come back into work after having a foal, and it prompted me to look at my other horses feet and they are now all barefoot and sounder than they were in shoes.

The issue is with people who get to the point your at and don't look at the alternatives and just keep going with vets and farriers advice even though horse is no better or even getting worse.

We pay our vets and farriers, it's time they realised we have a say in how our horses are treated.

Leg_end

Visit site
Don't feel ashamed of the feet, feel proud you're doing your absolute best and researching every option to help him :)
Looking forward to seeing his new feet in a few weeks!

Exactly this :) Buddy's feet were awful when he went to rockley and got lots of pancake comments ;) But now he is doing brilliantly well and no pancakes in sight :D

alsxx

Visit site
Yikes - don't usually comment but my goodness those poor feet!! It absoluetly amazes me that vets and farriers continue to see that as the 'right' way - good for you toomanyhorses in seeking out another way, I bet he's going to grow himself fabulous new feet and will be a new chapter!

Noticed on the blog you are in Kent.... waves! I'm Kent too with my barefoot gang (including a TB!) - Where abouts are you?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I don't get why one look at the hooves didn't make the Farrier or original Vet say 'a horse will never be sound on hooves like that, lets get them healthier' rather than spend all that money on MRI's, wedges etc... You don't need an MRI to know that the inside structures are going to have problems with hooves as mis-shapen as them.

TMH26 - you have pushed to get your referral to Rockley. I understand how hard it is as a layperson to go against professional advice. It's the original Vet and Farrier who need to feel ashamed over this.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Don't beat yourself up, I took nearly 6 months between first hearing about Rockley and sending Frankie there. He was going through a sound phase when I first read about it.

Vets and farriers were all telling me how his feet were improving with the remedial farriery but I have a set of pictures that say otherwise, plus a set showing how he improved when the shoes came off.

Good luck

TPO

Visit site
Hey TMH26. I commented on FB ( I'm Jill) too; you should be commended on sticking with it.

I'm having a terrible time trying to get vets to understand the benefits of barefoot and why I want to keep my TB that way. They want shoes on, namely bar shoes and there's been mention of pads, and that's that.

It's incredibly hard to go against the "experts" after all they are the ones with the experience and qualifications that we pay the big bucks to. From what I read the farrier was supportive of barefoot but working to the vet's instructions and Nic has posted that he couldn't have brought the toes back.

I've been there with the guilt- lost 2 to navic with vets telling me that bf couldn't/ wouldn't help- but you've still got Dylan and are making changes for his benefit now. I'd give anything to have that opportunity for my girls. So don't be upset this is the start of a new chapter for you. Chin up chuck and please keep us updated.

The very best wishes to you and your boy :)

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
hey thanks for all your kind words again - Im just outside Maidstone alsx :) hi back to your barefoot gang. I guess just felt a bit alone through all this upto this point - but as someone else has said onwards and upwards and heres to some new tootsies :)

Oberon

Visit site
I will be following when interest how Dylan's hooves develop over the next 12 weeks.

The most eeek feet are the ones we learn the most from.

Buddy's were fascinating to watch when he was at Rockley. His development challenged the long held view of external mechanical leverage being a factor.

Onwards and upwards :)

Polonaise

Visit site
Chin up TMH26, us vets can be a pretty intimidating lot when we think we're right and your wrong! In our defence we always have the best interests of our patients at heart, even if sometimes we're a little misguided. I've seen remedial shoeing and traditional medicine appear to work on many of these horses including my own. It took me the shear desperation of an owner faced with retiring/pts my own horse when "normal" methods started to fail to make me do enough research to realise the sense behind Rockley.
Can't wait to see how things progress with Dylans feet, don't know about you but I'm pretty excited to have started a treatment that offers the possibility of a good long term prognosis rather then just trying to keep them going for a bit longer.

cptrayes

Visit site
Chin up TMH26, us vets can be a pretty intimidating lot when we think we're right and your wrong! In our defence we always have the best interests of our patients at heart, even if sometimes we're a little misguided. I've seen remedial shoeing and traditional medicine appear to work on many of these horses including my own. It took me the shear desperation of an owner faced with retiring/pts my own horse when "normal" methods started to fail to make me do enough research to realise the sense behind Rockley.
Can't wait to see how things progress with Dylans feet, don't know about you but I'm pretty excited to have started a treatment that offers the possibility of a good long term prognosis rather then just trying to keep them going for a bit longer.

What a great vet you are :)

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
Im so excited to potentially have him back - a number of things are contibutuing to how I am feeling at present - I lost my mare back in July due to a choice I made for her and tbh have spent most of the year feeling that I have let my horses down. I have nothing agasint my vets as such - there has just been a lot of getting pushed from pillar to post due to people leaving the practice which kind of put me back to stage one everytime, the usual ' it wont work' until someone was willing to put their name to the referral. I totally understood why my vets were saying whatthey were but it wasn't helping my horse. I am just so glad he has settled well and is looking far more comfortable than I could have dared hope

amandap

Visit site
It took me the shear desperation of an owner faced with retiring/pts my own horse when "normal" methods started to fail to make me do enough research to realise the sense behind Rockley.
It's sad this is such a common story, but hopefully things (and vets lol) are changing as more horses go through Rockley and bf rehab at home.
Very moving post.

ps Aw toomanyhorses26 what an emotional rollercoaster and online as well! Don't forget stories like yours are a huge part of driving the change.

Last edited:

Kelpie

Visit site
OMG at the feet - thought TMH26, fair play to you for going now a different route.... Also, I am probably quite close to you so *waves*, I am in horsmonden!

brucea

Visit site
It gives me hope though that some vets are looking to question "accepted approaches" and to look at effective alternatives such as Rockley. I couldn't rehab my horse at Rockley - wrong end of the country - so had to do it myself.

You learn pretty quick that questioning the "accepted treatments" is met with ridicule, obfuscation and hostility by those with a vested interest in perpetuating them, however ineffective they are.