Hi Everyone been off

flowerlady

Visit site
line for a while as decided before xmas to do the big move:eek: Had no Internet for a while and with having to sort out letting our house in Notts out for a year to see how things go and getting JB transported down to Devon I drove myself down yesterday so fingers crossed all will work out:D Anyone else done a move like this with horses? If so are you glad you did:confused: Only problem we've found JB refuses to go into the stable (panics):confused: So until I can spend the time with him introducing it and putting a barge poll up he is a living out horse so glad the weather is now turning to spring. He's happy though:) Oh and would just like to say the company that move JB was great East Midlands Equine Transport. They text me half way to let me know how he was doing. I had been worrying all night and when the man led him straight on (I didn't even have to tickle his back fetlock feather's I was so relieved). But the men were so calm

Last edited:

Spyda

Visit site
Yeah, I moved to Devon in 1996. At that time I had a troop of horses [breeding stock] at a stud in Oxfordshire. Eventually found a suitable yard down here and hired a large lorry to bring them down to me.

My main gripe is the lack of yards with facilities and good off-road hacking around this part of Devon. Amazingly, it was FAR better in Middlesex. The area was much more built-up, but there were loads of bridleways and woods and always somewhere good to ride. Around here it's all lanes and Public Footpaths :(

flowerlady

Visit site
Yeah, I moved to Devon in 1996. At that time I had a troop of horses [breeding stock] at a stud in Oxfordshire. Eventually found a suitable yard down here and hired a large lorry to bring them down to me.

My main gripe is the lack of yards with facilities and good off-road hacking around this part of Devon. Amazingly, it was FAR better in Middlesex. The area was much more built-up, but there were loads of bridleways and woods and always somewhere good to ride. Around here it's all lanes and Public Footpaths :(

Well we've only got JB now and he's basically retired. But he will have the odd plod around the village. a mile and a half away is the Tarka Trail but you can only walk and trot on there:( There are some bridle tracks near and a wood but it is very very steep. We are near the Clinton Estate and not sure if we could ride in there if we wanted? Will have to ask some of the locals with horse:)

Spyda

Visit site
Ah, you must be fairly close to where I first moved to in Devon. I worked at Bicton College and kept my riding horse in Exmouth - right near the common. Now that was a nice riding area and the yard had a small menage. Only had to ride up the yard's drive, cross the road to be onto the common. Now I'm the Dorset side of Devon, with busy roads all round and there's much less riding places.

Not sure about riding on the Clinton land. They're very helpful, so give them a call. I'm sure they'll be happy to advise you :)