Hi Everyone.......So is it possible i can get a horse ?

Johns_Horse

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone,This is my first post anyway im a 14 year old boy who has been riding for about 3 years and i now feel im ready for my own horse/pony.My family doesnt6 get much money as its a single parent family me and my 2 brothers and my mum.My mums income is not enough to support a horse or ponies livery and all the other needs per week and i woudnt like to ask her for her to give me money for my passion as it wouldnt be fair on her or anyone else.I paid for my own riding lessons by doing a paper round but 2 months ago the paper had to close down so i have had to go without riding lessons for a couple of months (Its been hard!!!).Im looking for a new small job but even i know that this definetly wont pay for a horses keep a week and all the other costs.What im wondering is there anyone out there like me who knows how i could possibly get a hore or pony,Like is there a way i can make the money per week to keep a horse right now.I also have already loaned a horse for a year so i really want my own.I have saved about 300 so far so im on my way but How can i make the money per week to get a horse or is it impossible? <span style="color:blue"> </span>

GinaB

Visit site
I think the best plan would be to either share or part loan, I know it's not maybe what you want but it's better than nothing and won't cost you quite so much money.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I always wanted a pony when I was a kid/teanager - but parents weren't horsey so it simply wasn't to be. I bought my first horse several years ago.

To be honest John, you can't do it on your own. It costs so much money to keep a horse, that unless you have family that can pay for it for you it's best to wait until you are earning a decent salary before you embark on ownership for yourself. As well as the money side of things there is the enormous responsibility that comes with owning an animal - and again you need family support.

Riding schools love people like you who are obviously really keen - and would welcome your help with the horses and ponies they have.

Your time will come - just not yet.

ihatework

Visit site
Owning you own horse really is so much more expensive than part loaning, and things like unexpected vets bills could prove to be a real problem.

What about contacting local dealers and seeing if you could work the weekends for them in return for lessons on different horses?

Johns_Horse

New User
Visit site
Thanks for the help amymay Do riding schools want people to help them for example if i phoned one of them up and asked if ic ould help out they would maybe say yes does this entitle me to a free riding lesson if thats what they do

Rambo

Visit site
Wow...I think you've done very well to get this far on your own tbh ! As everyone has said, owning a horse is an enormous draw on your funds, and even when you budget meticulously, there will always be additional hidden expenses that crop up !

Firstly, I would suggest to get your lessons going for free, why not help out at a riding school in return for free lessons ? That way, you'd be doing a job that you enjoy, and getting direct 'horsey' benefit from it. You never know, you might be able to work off livery expenses in that way too.

I would have to say though, that I think by far the best option at this stage is for you to part-loan or share a horse. You'll still have plenty of expenses to find but nowhere near as much as on your own. Wait until you are in full time work until you take the huge leap to ownership
smile.gif

I hope you don't get dis-heartened by this, or others responses, but I really do think it is the best advice. Don't give up on your dream though
smile.gif

happyhack

Visit site
Wow congrats on the pro-activeness!! I'm 21 and like you i wanted a horse at 14 and again like you my family couldnt afford one.

I kept up with all my riding lessons, helping out at the stables where i rode to earn my rides until i turned 16 when i then went to college to do a national diploma which included 3 lessons a week in all disciplines and 6 months work experience.

I learned as much as i could about horses and am now knowledgeable enough to own my own horse-BUT i wasnt as pro active as you!! I have only just really started saving-as well as just taking on my second horse to share!!

Sharing is a fantastic way to go, depending on what your looking for the owners looking for sharers generally just want someone kind who will love their horse as though he/she is their own.

Good Luck in your quest!!
Keep us posted on what your up to!!

beaconhorse

Visit site
unfortunately you need to accept that at 14 and without help from your family you cannot have a horse of your own. I know it is hard and I do not know what I would do without my horse so I do sympathise BUT there are kids even worse off than you, who can't even get the odd riding lesson or even consider part loan,

Not only is it very expensive but I am sure you still have a lot to learn about horses and keeping them etc, so it really would be best to either part loan or help out at a riding club. maybe a good place to start is the place where you had lessons.

Good luck and if you want something badly enough you will get it BUT unfortunately not until your much older

siennamum

Visit site
Well done on trying so hard &amp; good luck.
It might be worth trying to find local yards where people will be glad of a dogsbody
frown.gif
We've always done this and generally whoever we have helping out comes to shows &amp; gets plenty of riding as well.
Riding schools are a great idea, though you will be competing against lots of other kids, check out the feed merchants &amp; saddlers for local yards, &amp; even see if there are competition yards within cycling distance.Owning your own animal may be unrealistic at the moment, but you may find you can get plenty of riding &amp; experience from helping with other people's.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I don't think you can afford your own one Im afraid. Its not just the initial cost of the horse but the cost in keeping one. Im sure you know they are very expensive!

If I were you, Id advertise for sharing a horse. There are people out there who work etc. and can't ride their horse everyday. Maybe you could do a deal whereby you ride the horse when they can't or even work for rides. Shame your not near me as I need a rider right now just to exercise one of mine!

flyingfeet

Visit site
You should be able to earn reasonable money as a stable hand over the winter in private yards- the problem is going to be transport unless you happen to be in a very horsey area.

I wouldn't consider buying a horse until you have at least £1,000 to spend after buying the horse &amp; its equipment.

However if a riding school is constrictive then again you could get paid to exercise horses or start sharing one.

If you are relatively small a racing yard might be a good place to start.

pottamus

Visit site
I think you have already had some really good advice on here as to the way to start things moving, but I just wanted to say a massive WELL DONE...I have the highest respect for you working away to enjoy your lessons and saving money up too...not many 14 year olds like you...you are a credit to your family. Good luck for the future and give it time...you will get a horse one day.

katiejaye

Visit site
I really do admire your ambition and motivation...really a great example to all other 14 yr olds! I know how desperate you are as I started riding at 5 yrs old and wanted a horse every day but my parents couldn't afford it. I worked at my local yards on wkends for free lessons and eventually got my own horse at the age of 16. I know how much you want it but all those years without a horse was actually good for me as I got so much experience working at my local yard and helping out friends that when I did get one I had a lot of experience and was 100% ready for it.

When I did get my first I had a sharer and as much as you want your own right now loaning or sharing will be the best option for you right now.

Don't give up though! You may have to wait a few years for your own but it will be worth it!

Blazingkate

carlingblacklabel.piczo.com
I know how you feel, my grandparents paid for my lessons when I was younger, but when they died I had to fund most of it by myself and got a paper round to do so. I would love my own horse, but at 17 and having only just left school I know there is no way I could. If I was you I'd try the riding schools round you, and if still no luck, try livery yards and putting adverts up in your local tack shops saying "looking for work in return for rides". I have done all this in the past 5 years and feel its made me a much better rider as I've always had to ride whatever I was given. Also, if you did manage to save up for your own horse, thing about your exams that would be coming up, would you be able to continue looking after him/her and study at the same time? And what happens if you want to go to college/uni? What would happen to him/her then? You have to think about all these things.

You've done really well at 14 years old, but keep going. Everyone who hasn't their own horse dreams of one, but it's not always possible, and until it is, there are so many other options that are just as good... many already listed in posts above.

Good luck!

Blizzard

Visit site
You have a great head on your houders John at 14, my brother is 14 and his biggest ambition is the latest ps2 game!

The inital cost of the horse is just the start, its the shoeing, worming, vets bills, insurance, tack, livery, dentist, and all the other bits and bobs that cost the most!

I would definitely recommend working at a yard on weekends and getting as much experience as you can about the care of horses, as Im sure you know riding is only one part.
As a previous poster said a riding school may be a bit too competitve but a private yard with lots of horses and ponies would love you!

Kepp up the good work, one day you will look back and be glad you didnt get a horse now, just think when you are older you can be secure in knowing you can care for him or her no matter what.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Hi, as everyone has said on this forum, it is a lovely ambition you have however at your age, with low or no income it is impossible to own your own horse &amp; look after it properly. The majority on this forum will tell you that owning a horse is a constant drain on your money. It's not just the stable &amp; grazing, hay &amp; feed. There's shoes &amp; the heaviest bills of all come from the vet. I doubt if anyone can say exactly how much their horse costs to keep, if they do they are probably under estimating it!
Try working for lessons at a riding school. Don't go for a loan horse because they cost just as much to look after &amp; you haven't got the funds, any savings will be eaten up very quickly.
Have a look on advert boards in tack shops for private owners who need help because of work commitments. It may take some time to get something sorted out but keep looking.
Above all don't lose the dream....it won't happen yet but it may in the future. Best of Luck
smile.gif
smile.gif

colmio

Visit site
Hi John,
You sound soooo focussed, that I am sure you will make your dream happen. Sometimes dreams take time. However, having been in a very similar situation to you let me suggest you can make it come true in time. The more experience you get now riding lots of different horses and learning as many training, management and husbandry techniques as possible will make you a much better horse rider and owner in the future. As suggested try your local riding schools, show stables and local owners for work- for- riding exchanges,you never know until you ask. People with energy and committment forge their own path- wishing you the very best on yours.

wench

Visit site
where abouts do you live john? there are lots of nice people on here, maybe there might be someone near you looking for someone to ride out with them?

Good luck anyway

susan_w

Visit site
I do some admin for our riding school, and we do have a couple of youngsters who come on a saturday, and help with getting ponies/horses ready for lessons, leading, filling haynets, mucking out - for that they get a ride in the most advanced lesson on a Saturday afternoon - it has to be a real labour of love, but if you show your commitment and willingness to help, you'll be surprised at how quickly people spot that and you'll get rides quicker than you know.

Good luck and stay focused!

monica123

Visit site
ok....well i am 13, i have been riding for seven years and since i started riding i have been nagging my parents, we could not afford one, well we could afford to either buy the horse, or pay the livery, so not both!! i went to a riding school and had regular lesosns, then i asked if i could help out, i did, and every week i got a free lesson, which was great!! then the yard closed, nd poeple wanted to excersise there horses, ni got 2 numbers!!! so i was going to excercise the two but one friend wanted one soo much so she axcercised tht one and o rode the other one....was going to take it to shows etc but itgot sold in the end, then i went to another yard, got ofered a pony on loan!! which is lways good!! and then i gave that up as it got too small,, then a friend lost her xconfidence on her pony and got a new one, then i was offered the ride!!! so i have ridden tht for afew months, he was sold 1 week ago, anyway....whilst i had him, i took him to events etc and then we got offered a free field to keep a horse in and we could afford that, then owner says that they cant take 3 horses, just when we had basicly bought the horse, so then we just went to a livery yard!!:D but we can only afford it as i payed for the pony with money my great uncle left to me, parents pay the livery..................i think what also convincved them that i deserved a pony, was there hasnt been many weekends, apart from holidays where i havent been up at the yard, helping etc,.......good luck and i admire your determination!"