Hi....I need some help,

Kristine

Visit site
I have an ex racer Tb (pictured below)
131_3190.jpg

He has an awful 'racer's head' and it's starting to affect our work!
Recently I started show jumping him (only at home) but where he's so worried about chucking his head about he is suprising himself at the jumps! What can i do to help this?
I do flat work with a bungee rein on which works really well! but there is no way i would jump with it!
What can I as the rider do to help it?
Here are some pictures of his head (and no im not yanking at his mouth i have a VERY light contact)

springnewhead3.jpg

springnewhead2.jpg

springnewhead.jpg

plus we need some more flatwork things to do so any tips would be great!

kick_On

Visit site
can i ask are you having lesson with him or what expeirence (sp) do you have?
As he looks a sensitive chap but he's taking the peee.... a bit
If he was mine i would want an good trainer to have a look and advice.
As then they can help you more and work out if he's really takin pee . They under the advice you could slappin him down shoulder and say Oo stop! that' or try standing martingale or market harbourgh.
But again do wish to be rude you're contact is inconsant, rather than light two very diverent things and as he does look sensitve you need to given he a contact (not suggesting you grab hold and not let go)
This is why i recommend good trainer
good luck

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
You could try changing the bit to one with far less poll action. if he is sensitive then a snaffle should be enough, he just has to accept an even contact, working with side reins may help him to adjust to this. A good instructor may be able to assess you better from the ground to see what the whole problem is. Good luck.
hope this helps
Dawn

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Hi, it takes a lot of time & experience to take on an ex racehorse. The schooling they have in their formative years is totally different that the schooling you will be wanting to give him. People will give you loads of advice on here about various ways of schooling & various gadgets you can use. To be honest I think the best advice is to get a good trainer who can access the horse & also your ability & then work with you & the horse. Without a sound foundation to start your training off you could have a real struggle on your hands. Additionally don't expect there to be a quick fix, it will take considerable time & effort to undo his previous training & and start afresh. Good Luck.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I find the comment 'racers head' very ignorant and off the mark. We have 20 racehorses in training here, and none of them do that.
TBH your horse looks lazy and reluctant, he really isnt enjoying himself. I would be inclined to give him a thorough going over by a dentist and physio, the way he is carrying his head would indicate a poll problem to me.
Once you are sure you have him sorted id increase the workload and increase the feed. Do your schooling out hacking and keep him interested, he does look a bit of a thinker. Get him enjoying his work and feeling well and then start with the serious business in the school.

Iestyn

Visit site
Change the bit for a start - he is clearly uncomfortable. Bubble bits or Dutch gags don't suit every horse and he seems to be objecting to the action of that bit - even though it's only on the "snaffle" ring. My boy chucks his head in a bubble bit and I really don't like them. Is yr boy sensitive in his mouth? I would also get him checked over just in case ther is a physical problem - may explain why he is looking so unhappy.

I would do a lot of gridwork with him - very low to start with, with lots of poles as well. Eventually you'll be able to do some bounce grids with him and this will not only encourage him to use his back end and bascule but will also keep him thinking about what he's doing. Schooling on the flat over poles will help too, as it will teach your horse to look at where it's going and to be concious of his feet. On the flat I would do lots of transitions, keep the work varied. I have n doubt the bungee rein helps but all that does his pull his head down and if you're not riding him from his back end then you are in danger of him falling onto his forehand. Just think about the "Scales of training". Establish his his desire to go forward into a contact hefore thinking about an outline - usually this will happen automatically anyway.

It's very rewarding re-schooling an ex-racer. I bought a 3 yr old flat racer and he's now 7 and I have had loads of fun with him and he has more than achieved our goals we initianlly set out.

Bossanova

Visit site
To my eyes it looks as though you need to start at square one and re-mouth him.
Personally I think happy mouths are horrid bits and I'd rather use a flexi-soft or a nathe loose ring straightbar snaffle. The way to mouth him is to stay in walk and ask for flexion one way then the other, to varying degrees until he starts to respect the bit and is happy with a more consistant contact. You need to be able to get some degree of flexion as this sets you up for bending on corners etc. Once he is happier in his mouth on the flat then I'd re-consider jumping.
Also lots of lunging in low side reins and the bit that you ride him in will help tonnes, you could even lunge him over fences to allow his natural jump to develop

pocket

Visit site
Totally agree with the above, the horse needs to start from scratch and don't even attempt to jump until he's happy on the flat. Also get his teeth checked he looks incredibly unhappy in his mouth and get a snaffle bit, I'm a convert to Springer KK's and have a loose ring. My horse would not accept the bit and now is incredibly happy and accepting the bit.

It also helped that I changed instructors, who as Bossanova states has worked us by using flexion, leg yields etc and getting Ralph more supple through his neck and back. Hacking is a fantastic exercise and you can school and hack. It will take time and patients, but will come right
wink.gif

Kristine

Visit site
I am starting to take lesson's on him in 2 weeks. Thank you for all of your comments. I think a change of the bit seemed the best thing. I will also get vet/ physio out as they come to our yard regularly. thank you again with your help and your advice!
x