Hi! i'm new and would like to know if I'm crazy...

donkeyindisguise

Visit site
Now that I have your attention :p
As above really, I’m new on here after browsing for ages and finally deciding to join to seek some advice :)
I will try to keep things as simple as possible, but would love some advice from some people who aren’t biased :) though I apologise in advance for the essay.
After many years of waiting, I finally have the opportunity to buy my favourite riding school beastie. I have been in love with this ponio since she came into the school as a baby about ten years ago. (I couldn’t tell you why, on paper she’s nothing special) :p
However, she has been suffering from diarrhoea for about 13 months now on-going. She has had every test under the sun as far as I know, and the only conclusive thing that has been found was that she has some old worm damage. She has had various different medications, including codeine and steroids, and none of these have cleared her up.
This is the only reason they are considering letting me have her. To me she still seems happy in herself, although the work she is asked to do in the school clearly drains her of energy. Now I am not under the illusion that she will magically get better, but I do think I can keep her comfortable until she is no longer happy (riding school is considering putting her down as they can’t ‘fix’ her)
What I would like to know, is if people here think that I am being a fool/selfish considering taking her away from her home (all she has known) on the hope that she may come right. I do think a long rest would really help her, as when she hasn’t worked in the school for a few days she is slightly better.
She has suffered before, but it is normally only for a couple of weeks, she is wormed as soon as it starts, and she clears up soon after, however last year she was not wormed at this point, and it is all now out of control despite being wormed at least twice now. I think I have given as much information as I can without pointlessly rambling on too much.
Thanks for reading if you got this far :)

tasel

Visit site
I'm a bit sentimental with these things. So if the horse looks happy... AND you have a LOT of money to keep her, I'd say yes.

Whatever you do, don't forget that horses are generally expensive to care for. You have to assess whether your finances can stomach the bills that may come to make said horse better. I should know as my horse has pretty much been unrideable due to old injury for 3 years (currently trying to bring her back into work). I was sentimental enough to say NO when I was offered an exchange following her injury. I do love the cheeky madam though...

babymare

Visit site
mmmmmm ok if you think you can fund her keep and care then go for it but be prepared for vet bills - Also get good advice from your vet and ensure you keep her on a good yard where there are people who will give good advice You said she is wormed when she shows symptoms - she should be on a regular worming programme so thats one area defintly look at. With right care and mangement there is no reason why you can not extend her life happily. . I certainly would get my vet out and a thourgh vetting blood etc and work with vet with diet care etc - and this is someone who bought a dangerous unrideable mare and who is now on borrowed time with her horse so hey Im a soft touch for a sad case to :)

Archiepoo

Visit site
Yes you are crazy-but everyone who has horses is! i say go for it- at worst you will give that horse a restful and loved end to a very hectic life.:D

Queenbee

Visit site
call me sentimental but if this was the horse that had captured my heart and I then had the opportunity to do what you are considering and I knew I could afford the care then I would go for it.

purplelady

Visit site
Hello.
Just a wee note to say welcome to this really lovely site. Every one here is really friendly and nice l am so glad l joined my self.Any way l am happy to hear that you got the horse you waited for a long long time for But am sorry that your horse is no well HOPE he GETS well SOON HUGS go to him and you

From purplelady

donkeyindisguise

Visit site
thankyou everyone for your responses :)
i am very lucky at the moment as i have very few outgoings (living at home still) and what i feel is a very good job for my age with room to progress.
i do also work part time at this stables, and for many months was the only one who was clearing up after the poor thing. i hate to see her coming off lessons and then spending the rest of the day with no interest, looking worse off than out 30 odd year old ponies (shes 13). I know her inside out and notice the changes in her that even the owner and instructors dont. I'm prepared for the possibility that i may not have long with her, but i would be happy if i knew i had done everything i could for her
she has definitely had a blood test done, two fecal tests and two worm counts, she also had a week long stay at the vets where she had various other tests and scans done, not entirely sure of the details though :confused:

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Sounds very mysterious!!
Speaking as the sharer of a 16 year old who has been out of work for approx 18 months with Cushings related illnesses and may only come back to being a hacking horse.....I'd say go for it, if you are able to fund keeping her. I love my girl and hope I'm with her for the rest of her life, despite her problems!
Welcome to HHO :)
K x

canteron

Visit site
Go in with your eyes open. Consider the worst options - and would you have the courage to do the necessary .

It sounds to me as if you may regret it if you don't, but it is surely going to be a rocky journey if you do. And just remember that if the horse does get better it is probably going to have a little bit more energy that now, which may cause its own challenges!!

Really go through the vets history first though so you know where to start. It may be that something in her environment is causing the problem, and a change may help. Who knows.

Good luck whatever you decide and let us know!!

(PS, I would do it and have done similar. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes when you are in the thick of it you regret doing such a stupid thing ..... but in the longer term it is never something I have regretted doing!).

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Yes, you're mad, but so what? As long as you're prepared for the fact that you might not be able to get her well and it might involve a lot of heartache along the way, then go for it. If you don't take her, you might always wonder if you could have done something. I think diet may have something to do with it. Riding schools are sometimes a bit limited in what they feed..

Ella19

Visit site
Personally I would seek permission to speak to the vet and get all her notes and have a good old chat. At least then you can make an informed descision before parting with your money and finding out vet has reccommended euthanasia as her intestines are about to errupt. Also be aware you won't be able to insure her for this or any possible linked condition. I would also talk to your vet about euthanasia costs, as horrid as it seems they come as a shock especially if cremating a horse!

I know that's blunt but I personally would want to be fully informed.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Have they changed her feed to try and help? My first pony always had a v runny bum the whole time, but tbh I still rode him around - although he was about 15 years older than yours probably :eek: (days before passports). But when I had stopped riding him, and he started dropping weight we started him on a mush of high fibre cubes and stud cubes to help his weight gain. Looking back, I don't remember if the runny poo stopping happened at the same time as the change in feed, but I think it might have done - tbh it was something we accepted as part of him, it never affected him really (although nowadays knowing more, we probably woudl have done alot different!)

What supplements etc have they tried? I rang these people up today to get a supplement to help my horses ligament injury (fingers crossed!) but they have remedies for everything, and are v friendly on the phone. I know people might be sceptical, but they are not mega expensive, so worth a shot :)

http://www.crossgatesfarm.co.uk/human?page=shop.browse&category_id=46

BlizzardBudd

Visit site
firstly i would like to say hello and welcome :p secondly i would say go for it! by the sounds of what you have written you would reqally regret it and at the worst you could offer her a lovely caring home for her to live out the rest of her days in peace :D

joeanne

Visit site
Trouble with RS's is that they tend to feed everything pretty much the same thing. They can buy in bulk that way and make savings.
It may just be that a really good course of pre/probiotic and a gradual change of food is all it will take.
But it may be she has some serious issues and you might have to make "that" call. If you can cope with that then I would say go for it.

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
Yup, you're crazy..... you should definitely do it :)

You are obviously aware she is likely to be high maintenance, so as long as you are able to pay for her then go for it, she deserves it.

As others have said, a change in diet/regime might well help anyway.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Agree with the above. She would have to be very cheap, as you could be buying a horse that needs retiring. As someone mentioned, any further vets bills for any further investigations on this matter, or anything else relating to it would not be covered, so be aware.. Really they ought to be selling her to you for a pound if they were going to pay to have her PTS anyway. I bet they can't believe their luck.

donkeyindisguise

Visit site
Another thankyou :p

i keep refreshing my page waiting for more replies :eek: it is really helpful to have opinions from people who dont know me or the horse

i have seen her vet results, and will admit there were lots of big words i didnt understand :eek: :p i know salmonella was ruled out, along with a few other things, but would want to speak to vet anyway as suggested :)

i also know owner has tried changing her food, to a sugar and cereal intolerance food, which did make a slight difference! :) but unfortunately she went off it after about a week and would only eat from my hand, so she is back on her old feed so she doesnt lose any weight

RS owner thinks im crazy anyway so its nothing new really :cool: ive been pestering him for her for the last god knows how long :p

MissChaos

Visit site
I'd be having a good chat with their vet (they'll know the horse best) and your own/prospective. Interesting that she wasn't wormed on time at an RS - that'd raise my eyebrows but is a bit of a moot point now. How old is she? I'm a sentimental one at times and am smiling for you - but be careful about your expectations.

PS:
Hello.
Every one here is really friendly and nice

I'm all for a positive generalisation - but I'm sure after your having lurked that you don't need to be told to keep a thickish skin and pinch of salt handy ;) Welcome and enjoy, tho - there are some gems of people on here.

ETS few posts since I wrote this - basic agreement with those above, esp. the insurance and on the practical side the £1 price vs PTS.

posie_honey

Visit site
god yes take her and sort her out - or as someone else posted - at least she'll be well looked after in her last days
and dont ever accuse any of us horsey people of being normal - of course we are crazy!

donkeyindisguise

Visit site
I'd be having a good chat with their vet (they'll know the horse best) and your own/prospective. Interesting that she wasn't wormed on time at an RS - that'd raise my eyebrows but is a bit of a moot point now. How old is she? I'm a sentimental one at times and am smiling for you - but be careful about your expectations.QUOTE]

on the worming point, around that time things were a bit chaotic at the RS for want of a better word, person who would normally ensure it was done was/is off their feet combined with very unfortunate family circumstances that it would be unfair of me to post about