Hi,new here with a few questions

Emma.b

Visit site
Hi, new here and a possible new owner of a horse:D
I have recently got back into riding after not being on a horse for 18 ish years, and am loving it, but lessons are costing me a fortune so I'm considering buying one! So my questions are firstly I have viewed an ex race horse as they are cheap,is an ex racehorse a good idea?
Secondly my local school has the option of not putting him/her into a stable but in a field will they be ok all year round in field?
Thirdly we have three children so time and money can be a little short some times what is the reality of the financial and time constraints of owning a horse?
Thanks in advance Emma x

be positive

Visit site
In my view buying a horse because it appears cheaper than having riding lessons is not the right reason, keeping a horse can be done fairly cheaply but dont forget the costs are ongoing and cannot be left for a month or two because finances are tight unlike lessons that can just be stopped.

Onto your questions, an ex racehorse is unlikely to be the ideal first horse, just because it is cheap to purchase, you need to look at the bigger picture, will it fit in with the lifestyle you can offer and afford, does it suit your riding style, it is most likely to need more rugs/ feed in the winter than for example a native pony or cob which may cost more initially but less to keep long term.

Turnout 24/7 is good for most horses but again a tb may need a fair amount of extra feed in the winter does the livery include ad lib hay in the field or would yours be turned out with a group of good-doers that need very little.

Financially the costs are hard to tell but a quick run through- livery- farrier- feed- insurance- routine dental care-vaccinations-tack- rugs- all the little things that add up such as winter clothes for you and extra fuel to get to the yard every day.

Surreydeb

Visit site
Hello and welcome.
IMO ex race horses are not good for novice owners ( sorry don't know your level of experience). They are more suited as project horses for experienced owners who can cope with their quirks. A safe and sound older cob would be likely to be more suitable but would not be cheap.
Also a cob type would happily live out 24/7 whereas a thoroughbred may struggle - in any case it's better to have a stable available if possible just for handling waiting for farriers or vets or if horse is ever sick or sorry.
Again don't know how much experience you have in horse management rather than just riding, but would recommend a course in horse management at your local riding school before buying your own. Yes riding lessons are expensive but owning horses is extremely expensive and most of us are poor as a result! Don't forget not just buying but cost of livery, shoeing, vaccinating, worming, insurance, vets fees, physios, teeth checking, tack, rugs, feed, hay or haylage and your time!
Not trying to put you off horse ownership is a joy but you do need to go in eyes wide open and take professional advice on your choice of horse if you are inexperienced, or it can quickly become hell

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Yep, I agree with others, lessons are expensive because you paying for the horse, insurance, facilities, and instructor. The costs of horse ownership are not easy to budget for as there can be many unexpected costs, vet bills can be from £100 per year to £1000 or more!
A loan on an older horse or pony may suit you best, but you still need to learn how to ride properly and to look after him, for that reason and others you may need the support of an experienced person and take a few lessons as well.
Also the horse has to be looked after every day at the same time, twice a day in winter most are stabled plus exercised come rain or shine.
PS Do not buy a TB exracer, they are not suitable for a beginner. You will find that horses are addictive, but also expensive.

Last edited:

Princess_shamrock

Visit site
i agree with all replies so far. If i was in ur situation i would be looking for a share, basicly people sometimes dont have the time to ride there horse as much or need help with the cost, so they get a sharer which means you would set a few days per week were you would go up and look after and ride the horse for them. some people will ask for a financial contribution but more often than not just helping with chores is enough and exercising their horse is enough.

hope this helps:)

guido16

Visit site
An ex racer is likely to be one of the most expensive horses to own!

Also I would suggest it would be the least suitable for you. Don't get me wrong, I have a TB who is very laid back but can be a challenge at times.
You should probably go for a hairy, laid back type that lives off fresh air and doesn't need stabled.

Buds_mum

Visit site
Owning a horse is certainly not the 'cheaper' option! :O I would have a scout of some of the threads on here how much people spend on their horses, it is eye watering!
Aside from the initial outlay of buying the horse and the equipment. It is ongoing and will take time and money.
Imo :D
And no, a cheap ex race horse is not the right type for a novice first time owner...

LJN

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies so far I'm at grade 3 soon to be grade 4:)

Sorry, I'm not normally one to pick at peoples posts so ignore me if I have the wrong end of the stick, but if you are working towards BHS Stage 4, shouldn't you already have a good idea of stable management and the costs/time constraints involved in horse ownership?

Littlelegs

Visit site
Agree with everyone else. Cheap horses are cheap for a reason. If you have the experience, that can work to your advantage, if you don't then it can quickly go wrong. No idea what grade 3/4 is, but after 18 yrs out I imagine there's a lot to learn no matter what level you rode at previously, & from your op a lot to learn about stable management. Imo you should volunteer at your rs, look for a schoolmaster type to share several days a week, & look into the bhs horse owners certificates. Then, in a year or two think again about buying your own schoolmaster type.

teasle

Visit site
Hi- have you considered lookin

gfor a middle aged family pony to share with your children, A stocky 14 hand pony can carry any normal sized woman and happily live out in a field.

claire_india

Visit site
There's soo much more financial issues with owning a horse...vet bills (planned & unplanned), farrier, feed, rugs etc etc :rolleyes:

Riding lessons can be expensive so why not go every 2 weeks or have you priced around...some smaller riding schools are much cheaper than larger equestrian centres and can also offer more one on one training.

At least if money is tight one month you could give your lesson a miss but your own horse would still need to be fed/shod/etc regardless of what other bills need to be paid that month...

smokey

Visit site
Either that, or as another poster said, she's going to roe AND play the piano. If that's the case, I really don't feel a TB is a good choice. Be a whizz at dressage to music though!

Littlelegs

Visit site
I'd like it to be a wind up, but maybe I just frequent too many cheap diy yards because I've met too many similar in real life. Such as the lady who turned up at ours asking if she could keep a foal there for her daughter. Neither ever done more than pat them over a fence, but they both had dogs & the foal was cheap & cute. Or the guy a few days after I'd moved to a new yard. Asked me to help him put a headcollar on a rather nice, highly strung 12.2. Assuming non horsey dad doing competent child's pony in an emergency I obliged. And discovered it was a bday gift, bought days earlier for a rather large & heavy teen who'd been pony trekking a few times. Need I carry on lol? So while op sounds like a wind up, unfortunately there's every chance its not.