Hi. Thanks in advance for the advice. So, new hay, just off the field, I believe should not be fed to ponies as it can give them colic?

Mary Bee

Visit site
When does new hay become good to feed?
Also there are strands of new hay left on the field that the tractor didn't pick up... Is it OK to let ponies in to graze in there? Thanks

Carlosmum

Visit site
You can feed new hay straight away, but introduce slowly if you can. My boys cope with it alternating between old and new because it generally depends on what OH brings back to the yard for the sheep/cattle.

Carlosmum

Visit site
And again, no it is not okay to feed straight off the field, it needs to be rested for 12 weeks

It doesn't need to be kept for 12 weeks, if it has been made properly nothing about it is going to change in that time except it will start to deteriorate and loose some of the nutrients. If it is introduced carefully there will be no problem

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
And again, no it is not okay to feed straight off the field, it needs to be rested for 12 weeks
I wish people would stop this old wives tale.

Scientifically speaking it has to be free of mould and damp/overheating.

If you've collected the hay dryzabone and stored it dryazabone then check the mid temperature after baling. If there's any mould the the temp will rise as decomposition occurs and it happens immediately... 12 weeks makes no difference.

My lot were eating spring baled hay 3 days after a scorching 2 days out, then baling and they are still alive. No hay anywhere so we were desperate so there you go... 4 moths go now. Infact my barefoot horse has never been more sound.

honetpot

Visit site
Some years when we have had no grass I have been a taken hay the balers have left behind, and fed it straight away. The things you have to be careful about are only things you be careful about when you feed anything, when you add it to the diet.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I have always been told you should never feed hay until the following year! I have done so within a few months but have never done so straight away as its still pretty hot for a while? I never even questioned it but will now...

irishdraft

Visit site
My horse is turned out in the field we made hay from having a marvellous time time hoovering up all the leftovers. I don't understand why people think hay needs to be left for several months what's going to change ? Apart from the fact the outside bales gets a bit bleached and dusty is the only difference in my home made hay .

IngramsRoughDiamond

Visit site
When you have seen 3 horses having to be pts because of colic caused by new hay, fed by idiots like those who thinks it's an 'old wives tale' then you know to proceed with caution.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
When you have seen 3 horses having to be pts because of colic caused by new hay, fed by idiots like those who thinks it's an 'old wives tale' then you know to proceed with caution.

When hay has been taken and stored correctly it will NOT cause colic - I would suggest in the instance you are quoting if eating the hay was the issue that caused the deaths from colic it was not correctly gathered and stored.

Or possibly incorrectly fed to horses with other health issues even? i.e overloading rescue horses already damaged by starvation and worm burden etc.

Hay that is a week old or 6 months old that is not good clean well made hay will cause all sorts of issues - well made hay will not. Just use commonsense when inspecting the hay you intend to use.

teddypops

Visit site

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Well made hay can be fed the next day. Obviously the usual rules apply with gradual diet changes.

If you're not sure how well it was made its best to wait a little while, as if it wasn't properly dried (and its above 15% moisture) it will heat up (can even catch fire!) and then you'll know. This damper hay can often be fed to cows, as their rumen is more resistant to mold, after the initial heating period (which is where the "feed after two/six/twelve weeks" stuff you hear comes from). If the hay heats up it shouldn't be fed to horses.

I usually go around and stick the leftover hay after baling in a haynet or two and then feed it in the next few days. You can graze it, but be wary if there is a lot of rain and piles of hay left in the field as it can start to ferment. A few strands strewn about is fine. Do be aware that grass can grow back pretty vigorously and lush after being cut (I can't put my fatties on mine straight after the hay is cut for this reason).

The idea that hay decreases in calories or protein during storage and so last years hay is better for laminitics or less "heating" etc has been disproven. Last years hay will just have fewer vitamins, and more chance of dust and mold. The "old hay" myth was in the original pony club manual (they believed it in 1966) hence its prevalence in the UK.

holeymoley

Visit site
I’m currently mixing new hay with my old as that’s all we have. Very slowly. It was turned 3-4 times in the field over a week and then baled and stored away. It’s as dry as a bone. Fantastic stuff.

tallyho!

Visit site
www.horseandhound.co.uk/features/years-hay-safe-feed-horse-69279

(If this works) H&H article from June says whilst it's possible if baled with less than 12% moisture it's safest to be a bit patient at least.
The fermentation thing does not and should not happen in well dried well stored HAY. Everything preserved as it was; less any moisture.

Fermentation ONLY happens in silage and haylage.

Sorry to hear of the colic cases. If it makes people FEEL better to wait 3 months then do it but it isn't true that it NEEDS to be stored for 3 months.

Mynstrel

Visit site
The fermentation thing does not and should not happen in well dried well stored HAY. Everything preserved as it was; less any moisture.

Fermentation ONLY happens in silage and haylage.

Sorry to hear of the colic cases. If it makes people FEEL better to wait 3 months then do it but it isn't true that it NEEDS to be stored for 3 months.

I was only passing on what I'd found as I assume H&H don't ask numpties. I'll get back in my box now.

tallyho!

Visit site
I was only passing on what I'd found as I assume H&H don't ask numpties. I'll get back in my box now.
Equally; not everyone comes from the same standpoint so it pays to seek others POV... as I've painfully learned in my dealings with HHO too. Each to their own... I've always said so, check out my sig.