Hi Vis - Products with lights on?

Cazolime

Visit site
After some product recommendations!

I've got a bit hi vis mad recently, had a couple of near misses out on the roads (but have no choice but to ride on them) and have decided to kit both myself and pony out in as much hi vis as I can so no one can use the excuse that I couldn't be seen.

I have at the minute
  • Hat Band
  • Hi Vis Coat
  • Hi Vis vest for summer
  • LED flashing breastplate
  • Hi Vis quarter sheet

As it's starting to go dark before I get back to the yard at the minute i'm after things with built in lights - any suggestions?

I'm after the 'lit up like a christmas tree effect!'

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I like my ultra reflective night rider rug:

B43C1E42-5296-468F-98F5-41D520EC628F_zpsmjuccgtb.jpg

This is it lit up from my phone flash, you can imagine what a car's headlights do to it.

You can get jackets the same material.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Tbh if I'd had near misses and I couldn't get back before it got dark I wouldn't be going out. I think riding after dark is stupidly dangerous unless you're in a built up area with street lights and 30mph zones. It wouldn't even occur to me and it's really not fair on drivers either.

Cragrat

Visit site
I have a flashing vest from ebay- 16 flashing lights, 8 front 8 back, a flashing hat band made from two flashing leg bands from Lidl, flashing leg bands on my legs, and little flashing lights from Lidl designed for rucksacks, which I attach to the horses tails with plaiting bands. Also the usual rug and horse leg bands-non lit.

Cazolime

Visit site
That's brill thank you! I don't ride in the actual dark but I am sometimes going through the village as the sun sets, the last half hour is off road and I like being visible to cyclists and walkers etc as well.

Holzdweaver

Visit site
I used to hack through a housing estate to get onto a private off road track up to the moorlands and i made my own with ultra bright battery powered LED string lights, attached them with a couple of stitches to secure each light all the way round my sheet. The battery pack is small and i positioned it so i could just lean down and flick the switch on if they were needed. I also did the same to his breastplate and put the battery back at the top so i could again just look down and flick a switch. I also added high grade marine reflective tape along the back of the sheet and added to the reflective strips already on the breastplate. i also added a strip to each brushing boot and as i had a high viz ear cover, i added a V onto that too and it lasted really well. I used red lights for the back and white for the breastplate. I put a red ultra bright led bike light on the back of the sheet just above his tail too and attached one to the back of my hatband and to the outside of my legs using clip on biker leg bands. I also used a headtorch for the front of my hat. Seems overkill but i had many a comment saying how visible i was and they wished that bikers would put as much effort in. :)

MasterBenedict

Visit site
I just got this Harry hall exercise sheet with built in butt light and I really like it :) it has a couple of settings from fast flashing to slow, and constant light. It's not particularly bright but does the job in low light.

f15a1b33b34c94e3af020361ca583869_zpsd4wnsagc.jpg

Reacher

Visit site
Definitely need a photo!
I used to hack through a housing estate to get onto a private off road track up to the moorlands and i made my own with ultra bright battery powered LED string lights, attached them with a couple of stitches to secure each light all the way round my sheet. The battery pack is small and i positioned it so i could just lean down and flick the switch on if they were needed. I also did the same to his breastplate and put the battery back at the top so i could again just look down and flick a switch. I also added high grade marine reflective tape along the back of the sheet and added to the reflective strips already on the breastplate. i also added a strip to each brushing boot and as i had a high viz ear cover, i added a V onto that too and it lasted really well. I used red lights for the back and white for the breastplate. I put a red ultra bright led bike light on the back of the sheet just above his tail too and attached one to the back of my hatband and to the outside of my legs using clip on biker leg bands. I also used a headtorch for the front of my hat. Seems overkill but i had many a comment saying how visible i was and they wished that bikers would put as much effort in. :)

Holzdweaver

Visit site
Definitely need a photo!

Heres a couple i got my friend to take as i wanted to know how reflective the tape was that i bought and stuck on everything. Taken with a rubbish camera. Unfortunately i hadnt put my lights on the sheet or breastplate yet other than the single red light at the back so dont have pictures with lights, but the ultra bright led's really are decent! The white ones on his breastplate used to light up the dry stone wall at either side of us when going up the lanes :D cheap and cheerful at £4 a packet for the extra long ones and run of AA Batteries. It was after these pictures were taken that i decided to get creative with the fairy lights and bike lights as i felt i needed to be seen before being in the headlights of a passing car. Personally i feel that flashing lights, especially bright ones can dazzle car drivers at night so i always had them on constant.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk213/holzdweaver2/DSC_0984.jpg
DSC_0984.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk213/holzdweaver2/DSC_0989.jpg
DSC_0989.jpg

Reacher

Visit site
That is fab! I would like to do something similar and have been browsing the rope lights etc on ebay. (though i lack needlework skills) . Am going to get some of that reflective tape.
Heres a couple i got my friend to take as i wanted to know how reflective the tape was that i bought and stuck on everything. Taken with a rubbish camera. Unfortunately i hadnt put my lights on the sheet or breastplate yet other than the single red light at the back so dont have pictures with lights, but the ultra bright led's really are decent! The white ones on his breastplate used to light up the dry stone wall at either side of us when going up the lanes :D cheap and cheerful at £4 a packet for the extra long ones and run of AA Batteries. It was after these pictures were taken that i decided to get creative with the fairy lights and bike lights as i felt i needed to be seen before being in the headlights of a passing car. Personally i feel that flashing lights, especially bright ones can dazzle car drivers at night so i always had them on constant.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk213/holzdweaver2/DSC_0984.jpg
DSC_0984.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk213/holzdweaver2/DSC_0989.jpg
DSC_0989.jpg