Hi Viz clothing

Have you posted something in every lounge?

• Total voters

gemma1992

Visit site
I don't hack out because the horses i ride are unpredictable and the road is VERY DANGEROUS (Bendy and fast). If I did hack out I'd always wear Ho-Viz clothing.
I think wearing Hi-Viz clothing makes road users more aware of riders

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I my opinion if you are going on the road you should wear Hi-Viz & Fluorescent. Not sure if you drive, but as a driver I have found Hi-Viz works great in low light levels as picked up by headlights and Fluorescent clothing/tabbards/boots stand out in all light levels.
smile.gif

Having been hit by a volvo in bright sunshine driver apparently couldn't see 6 x horses and 3 x riders as was dazzled by the sun!!!!! (Shame she didn't think it was worth slowing down or stopping if she couldn't see where she was going).
mad.gif

Anyway anything that draws a drivers attention to you has got to be worthwhile.

Clodagh

Visit site
I believe that if you don't your insurance company can refuse to pay out in the event of an accident.
I only wear a hi viz waistcoat, or in winter a sort of dustmans hi viz coat, can't bear glittery pink flouro browbands etc!
I always wear it though, I have a dark grey horse and ride on narrow overgrown lanes.

TGM

Visit site
I always wear Hi Viz on the roads. As a driver I have noticed how difficult it can be to see horses even on sunny days if they are in the shadow of trees or hedging. It definitely ensures that drivers see you more quickly, giving them more time to avoid you. As we have a lot of narrow bendy lanes here I always wear a reflective band on my hat so I can be seen over the top of the hedges.

Shrimp

Visit site
If I go on a hack which takes me onto busy roads I will always wear Hi-Viz but I am lucky here and I dont have to go on the roads unless I want to so in that situation I dont normally wear Hi-Viz.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I dont hack out much at all anymore (too dangerous). But when I do (and when I used to a lot) I always wear a hi-viz vest, usually as it has the "young horse" bit on the back which I find useful even on an older horse!

smokeybabes

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I believe that if you don't your insurance company can refuse to pay out in the event of an accident.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you also have to be careful about what your hi-viz says? For example wasn't someone held liable because they were wearing a vest saying "caution young horse" so they argued she was admitting liability and the horse shouldn't have been on the road.

I always wear a tabard and normally leg bands on horse too - i stick to the theory there should be something on me and horse in case we get seperated!!! lol
laugh.gif
crazy.gif
grin.gif

JAK

Visit site
The girls always wear at least a Hi Viz vest & a hat cover if they're hacking out - unfortunately neither FOO or CB behave particularly well in exercise sheets but they do have the Hi Viz martingale thingies!

I definitely think it makes you more visible & a flash of HI Vis further down the road or through the hedgerow gives a driver an extra few seconds warning that there is a horse & rider ahead!

helenandshadow

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Don't you also have to be careful about what your hi-viz says? For example wasn't someone held liable because they were wearing a vest saying "caution young horse" so they argued she was admitting liability and the horse shouldn't have been on the road.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes i went to buy a new reflective vest the other day and the woman in the tack shop said about that.

JAK

Visit site
I stick to the vests that simply have a red triangle on - it's an easily recognised symbol that indicates 'caution'!
smile.gif

A friend at yard had a vest that said 'Does my bum look big on this?', which she had to stop wearing as drivers kept beeping their horns at her! (Not so good on a flighty TB!)

lordflynn

Visit site
I always do for a few reasons; as a driver I know it makes a difference, its part of my livery agreement that I do (keep horse at an RS) and even though most of my hacking is of road it enables dog walkers to see me too-quite handy in woodland!

CrazyHippo1

Visit site
I only ever used to wear it in winter, or on very dull days, but the other week I was out hacking and there was a horse at the top end of the road (same dark bay/black colour as Deanna) and I definatly wouldn't of seen that horse if it hadn't of been for its hi-viz martingale. It really shocked me, so now I nearly always wear my tabbard, and I plan on buying some hi-viz brushing boots for Deanna

scrat

Visit site
I think that hi viz should always be worn even in bright sunlight. From a drivers point of view I believe it can give you 3 seconds more reaction time if the rider is wearing hi viz gear, doesn't sound much but it could make all the difference. Dappled sunlight also makes it difficult for a driver to see clearly especially a dark coloured horse. Intrestingly I have also read that when hacking across country hi viz should be worn just in case you part company with your horse and you end up laying in a bush at least you can be spotted!! Pink hi viz is better for this as it is more visible than yellow in grassy green places.

seaofdreams

Visit site
im lucky and don't have to go on the road anymore but when i did i wore reflectives all the time, the roads are to dangerous now a days it's scary

pocket

Visit site
If you live in the Bexley area and take your life in your hands and venture on to the road, you could wear a police blue flashing light on your head and you dont get any recognition from car drivers.......most of which own horses themselves and are the worst offenders
crazy.gif

Having been hit by a car, I dont go near any roads anymore and only hack in the woods. If I were to leave, it would have to have off road hacking....... once bitten twice shy
wink.gif

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Most windscreens of cars are dirty which dramatically reduces the drivers visibility and also in bright sun light the dirt causes the light to blind the driver.

Even if one is off road if one falls off high viz will make it easier to find you or your horse.

riotgirl

Visit site
UntilI started driving my self I only wore hi visz in the winter. Now I know that it does make a difference whatever the time of year.

the watcher

Visit site
Yes and Yes, even if I don't go out on the road.
I ususally wear a hi-vis waistcoat on the road, and we have rain sheets for grim winter days, out in the fields and woods I might just wear a bright hat cover, especially if it is hot. TBH the waist coat is such a habit I pretty much wear it whenever we leave the yard, you never know when you might have to change your route.