Hi viz doesn't make it safe...

RunToEarth

Visit site
I'm really not sure when everyone forgot that as a road user it is your responsibility to drive appropriately for the road conditions you are on. The speed limit is irrelevant in this case - if it's a truly blind bend you should be going round it slowly enough that you can stop if there is a hazard on the other side. What if someone had broken down round the bend? It's a shame horse riders feel that they should get out of the way when clearly it is the car drivers who are at fault for not taking the corner at an appropriate speed.

I agree with what you are saying, however the most wise words I was ever told when I first passed my test were from my Grandad "Just assume everyone is an idiot on the road" because quite honestly if everyone behaved how they were meant to/drove with consideration for the road conditions and applied common sense to every situation there would never be any accidents on the road and it would be enjoyable and safe for every single road user.

As it is, I don't trust most people driving, and for the reason I ride less and less on the road - I have absolutely no doubt that if I were hit at 50mph round a blind bend then the car driver would be held liable but that would be no comfort to me with an injured/dead horse and a possibly injured/dead me.

It is sad, I wish I could hack out like I used to 10 years ago, but as Pedantic says - NOA - and I just can't bring myself to put us in the middle of them all!

Alphamare

Visit site
On a hi viz thread someone said how much safer the roads would be if every car had a spike in the steering wheel. A huge amount of drivers think they are invincible. That's frightening! Also the cyclists who pass close enough to touch my horse, what if he shies or kicks ffs!