Hi viz for hacking

Cob Life

Visit site
Looking at hacking blue a bit more but we had to do quite a bit of road work, is anyone able to recommend some hi viz
For the cob:
Ears
1/4 sheet (preferably mesh so he doesn’t get too hot)
Boots

For the tb:
Ears
Boots
She won’t wear a 1/4 sheet so maybe a numnah instead?

Nasicus

Visit site

Pippity

Visit site
I like the DVR Equestrian ears. They're mesh fabric, rather than the rustly, waterproof-ish hi-viz material, so stay put better and are more comfortable. I also pop velcro hi-viz bands on my Blue's noseband and browband.
https://dvrequestrian.com/collections/style-vis

For most other things, I go for V-Bandz. I have a mesh quarter sheet and leg wraps from them. Their quarter sheets have a strap on the tail flap for clipping lights to, which is also convenient for clipping a small camera.

Would the TB wear a tail wrap of some sort? A saddlepad would give you visibility from the side but not from behind. If she would, I like the V-Bandz tassel tailguards.

The roads around me are surrounded by hedges, so I find some hi-viz on my hat is really useful for being visible over them.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I don't throw a quarter sheet on Foinavon, as he is unclipped and brilliant at temperature regulation. Don't want to f*ck with that. However, I also like being as visible as a Christmas tree on acid.

V-Bandz has provided. I have a chest band thing that takes about four seconds to attach to the saddle d-rings, and a tail guard, with LEDs, that wraps around his tail.

Steerpike

Visit site
I have a hi viz bridle from Pioneer Endurance, a multi coloured hi viz tabard from equisafety and a hi viz hat band, if it's raining or cold I put a hi viz exercise sheet on but can't remember the brand!

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Have a look at the Parson's Rump hi-viz.

Sorry don't know the website but if you feed in "Parsons Rump" that should find it for you.

Tis something I'm seriously considering for mine; we've got god-knows-what hi viz everywhere else but my concern is that we are also visible from the rear.

Also am considering head-cam; have had way too many of those occasions where I've come back to the yard spitting and swearing and saying "that's it I'm getting a head-cam". Note to self: just get arse in gear and make a decision on it!

HashRouge

Visit site
I find that, as a driver, hi viz saddle cloths and exercise sheets are less useful as they aren't so visible from the front/ back. Not saying you shouldn't get them btw, just I would prioritise other items.

Good hi viz for the rider (hat/ body/ arms) is probably the thing I am most likely to notice first. If you want to add something to the horse, then items that are visible from the front/ back are good - something for the tail (which is where an exercise sheet would be useful, if it has a tail flap) and something for the front, like reflective strips for the broadband/ noseband and/ or one of those hi viz breastplate/ martingale things.

I'm not sure how useful boots actually are, as I think the driver's eye is more likely to be caught by things that are higher up. That said, it can't do any harm!

Noble

Visit site
Equisafety do a range of mesh hi viz, I got a yellow and pink mesh quarter sheet recently from GS equestrian on offer at £31.49. They also have a few for about £27 on ebay.

Pippity

Visit site
I find that, as a driver, hi viz saddle cloths and exercise sheets are less useful as they aren't so visible from the front/ back. Not saying you shouldn't get them btw, just I would prioritise other items.

The V-Bandz sheets have a really good tail flap that means they're very visible from the rear.

1642942970104.png

I agree that those without tailflaps aren't especially useful for rear visibility.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
I have ridden for miles on the roads, and from experience, hi viz on it's own is not enough. Welcome to the over the top safety thread!
Silicone flashing LED jogging armbands in red and white lights. Thread four red ones and two white ones onto nylon dog collars and use as leg bands - two white ones on front legs, two red ones for hind legs, and two red ones for your ankles. The dog collar means you will return home with them intact. A headtorch (flashing white light) for your hat, plus one for horse's browband. Attach a white flashing light to the front of a hi viz martingale. if you can source a lightweight red LED flashing armband, bandage the horse's tail and pin to the bandage, or put a plait in the tail and attach to that. Drivers travelling in the same direction as you tend to see the horse's hocks first (if they see you at all) so any hi viz below hock level won't be seen. White lights at the front and red to the rear indicate to other drivers which direction you are travelling. If you have got it right, you should stop traffic, or at least slow them down! I have found duct tape and cable ties are good for securing lights to saddlery.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Hi viz boots or leg wraps are actually very eye catching. These are v bandz wraps. I have several times had random lorry drivers stop and compliment me on mine :). That and a hat band, because it may be your head looming over a hedge that get seen first.

The v bandz mesh quarter sheet is also very eye catching from rear and side views. There's a loop on the tail flap to which you could add a flashing rear light.

8E067BDF-22FF-4BFA-8B19-148901D00E26.jpeg

We're pretty well hi vizzed up in this winter pic below, but I had mislaid the ears on that day and they would have really helped. The breast band is good, though.

My hit air jacket is unfortunately black, but hi viz worn worn underneath it still shows up.

45BF82E8-51C1-43DF-A8D5-7CAB146F39D5.jpeg

Cob Life

Visit site
Hi viz boots or leg wraps are actually very eye catching. These are v bandz wraps. I have several times had random lorry drivers stop and compliment me on mine :). That and a hat band, because it may be your head looming over a hedge that get seen first.

The v bandz mesh quarter sheet is also very eye catching from rear and side views. There's a loop on the tail flap to which you could add a flashing rear light.

View attachment 86242

View attachment 86243
I have found that leg wraps and ears on the horse make a huge difference. Also high viz on that as well as a standard.
I was recommended leg wraps by someone who pointed out drivers aren’t necessarily looking up in the air for stuff but actually are looking at the roads where the horses legs are, and that the movement of the legs are likely to catch attention too

pistolpete

Visit site
I taped some bridle hi viz to the end of my schooling whip made it visible for turning right etc.
Kramer have some great hi viz stuff.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
vbandz combi brite gear all the way - ear veils, quarter sheets, leg wraps, safety camera tabards. All yellow is a no no as you can simply disappear in bright sunlight.

Hi viz gloves and schooling whips also very helpful in making your hand signals clearer. I get mine on ebay.

Archers do great jackets and hoodies with SLOW DOWN written on the arms (front and back) so you can signal to drivers AND give them a message at the same time.
https://www.archerssignsandgraphics.com/shop

I think a full hi viz hat cover rather than just a hat band is better (drivers can see these over hedges) and I love the little flashing cycle lights you can attach to stirrups, bridles, tails etc. I get these from ebay too. I even have a waterproof version for rainy days...

Head or body cams are a MUST but you really should film front and back. Techalogic DC1, Chillicam, Boblov clip on cameras, Drift Ghost XL... Techalogic also do hi viz hat bands for the camera to attach to. Vbandz do safety camera tabards for the clip on cameras to attach to (front and back).

Cob Life

Visit site
I taped some bridle hi viz to the end of my schooling whip made it visible for turning right etc.
Kramer have some great hi viz stuff.
Hi viz gloves and schooling whips also very helpful in making your hand signals clearer. I get mine on ebay..

I think if I carry a chip with him I will likely end up 4 villages away!

The hi viz gloves are a good shout though

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Looking at hacking blue a bit more but we had to do quite a bit of road work, is anyone able to recommend some hi viz
For the cob:
Ears
1/4 sheet (preferably mesh so he doesn’t get too hot)
Boots

For the tb:
Ears
Boots
She won’t wear a 1/4 sheet so maybe a numnah instead?
boots I like V bandz ones
https://www.v-bandz.co.uk/category-24/COMBI-Shires.html

mesh 14 sheet I have this

https://www.eqco.co.uk/collections/exercise-sheets/products/neon-mesh-fly-quarter-sheet

ear I would say Equi Safety or Vbandz

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I have one if these, spendy but very visible front and back and well made. Also keeps saddle dry and is toasty on the bum (mine not horses, I have the summer weight version)

https://www.finerequine.co.uk/collections/exercise-sheets/products/hi-vis-ride-on-exercise-sheet

I also have a vbands neck band and hiz viz boots/wraps for my other horses. I always ride in a tabard which is a different colour to the sheet as figure a mix of hi viz colours more eye catching than one or too. I have am Eqco riding skirt in navy with reflective strip's too, it doesn't distract from the visibility of the sheet at all ☺️

sarahann1

Visit site
V-Bandz products are great, I’ve got a few things from them and would happily buy more.

Equisafety as a company can get in the nearest bin.