Hi-viz recommendations

Chianti

Visit site
We have a workwear shop in Swindon. It's a mine of hi viz, at a fraction of the cost of equestrian stuff. I have hi viz fleece lined trousers, a workman's gillet, and my most recent treasure, a fabulous orange/reflective/waterproof soft shell jacket, which I'm not allowed to wear when out with my family although I'd like to as it's so comfy! Here's a link to an online retailer:
https://www.workwearexpress.com/hi-vis/

Thanks for this. Just ordered some new and very needed bits

Gazen

Visit site
Aldi sell these when they have their cycle event on, they are normally £4.99 a pair. You can also buy them on both e-bay and amazon. They are elasticated so fit around your horses legs, I put one on the off fore and one on the off hind. You just press the button and they either flash on / off or you press them again and each light bulb lights up in succession in a row. They are a cheap light weight alternative to more expensive 'horsey' brands and they are brilliant if you are out on a bright sunny day because you can see them for a distance (up to 1/4 mile) and also if you are riding down a country lane that has a covering of overhanging trees and you would be very hard to see - they certainly make you stand out.

cfab.jpg
I have several set of these. I use one on each of the horses legs, one my outside arm and ankle and then one on the head piece and one on the back of the exercise sheet. I have had drivers pull up and say how good the lights were and they slowed down because although they couldn't initially see what we were they knew we were there well before the headlights picked up the hi-viz

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I have several set of these. I use one on each of the horses legs, one my outside arm and ankle and then one on the head piece and one on the back of the exercise sheet. I have had drivers pull up and say how good the lights were and they slowed down because although they couldn't initially see what we were they knew we were there well before the headlights picked up the hi-viz
Yes the lights are amazing, I've had a similar experience to you whereby the police drove past me once with the passenger window down and the driver leaning over the passenger saying how well they could see me from a distance due to the lights flashing and to keep it up!

Yet you still see idiots out on the roads without any hi-viz at all. Makes you wonder why. I know most people don't know about the three second thing so here is an explanation, sorry if I am preaching to the converted

Research shows that for a driver travelling at 30mph, if he sees Hi Viz on you or your horse, it gives him an extra 3 seconds reaction time. This means that the driver has an extra stopping distance of 40m - the size of a full length dressage arena- which could be the difference between hitting you and your horse or passing safely.