Hickstead Derby Trial

humblepie

Visit site
Just had a look at the results and crossed my mind back to the day when the good old BBC used to show Hickstead in a big way. The Derby Trial even the Nations cup from the Royal International.

Pointless but bring back Hickstead the BBC!!

Jesstickle

Visit site
I have sky.

I would rather the BBC had some footy coverage and the f1 than the horses. Then I wouldn't have to pay a tonne for sky. Sport is so expensive I don't think the beeb can justify it anymore sadly

humblepie

Visit site
Yes actually must agree would prefer full f1 coverage on bbc. Don't have sky but watched one race round at a friend's and didn't like the sky coverage. Do miss Martin Brundle though

Dunlin

Visit site
I too miss the days of sitting down to watch a whole weekend of thrilling Show Jumping. I absolutely loved the Speed Derby and then the Derby itself. They also used to broadcast the Eventers Grand Prix which was fantastic! Such a shame that equestrian sport is obviously not popular enough in viewing figures to broadcast anymore :(

LadyRascasse

Visit site
I agree re F1 tbh BBC has let the public down so badly with sports. they have given up all horse racing, half of f1, alot of football and the majority of showjumping. Very sad really

Sol

Visit site
Instead we get rubbish comedy repeats, endless programmes about gypsies, chavs, pregnant teenagers & god knows what else... is there ANYTHING good on tv these days? :rolleyes: Everything just seems to be repeats!
And when they do put something on about horses, it's either actually about the queen, or how stuck up horse people are :( grrr

Jesstickle

Visit site
I agree re F1 tbh BBC has let the public down so badly with sports. they have given up all horse racing, half of f1, alot of football and the majority of showjumping. Very sad really

It isnt really their fault. F1 coverage was so expensive that the bid for exclusive rights would be a massive part of their budget and the government and many viewers would have been very unhappy about it.

The cost of sport is expensive, prohibitively so to a publically funded, advertsment free corporation. They have just made huge cuts as the license fee has been frozen by the gvt. They literally can not afford it in the more competitive broadcasting market we now have.

The f1 is a crying shame though as the beebs coverage was genunieley excellent. Sky is ok but bbc were better!

ann-jen

Visit site
I quite like the sky coverage when its with Andy Austin and James fisher but not when it's with Sara rust and Peter Churchill. (Dont mind Sara but he is very annoying!!) but sky isn't as accessible to people and so its sad not to get the excitement of the derby meeting out to a wider audience. Even my non horsy ex was impressed by the derby when forced to watch it a few years ago! But totally understand the reasoning behind it. Still sad tho. Can still remember the days when Olympia and HOYS were on the beeb every night and used to be allowed to stay up late on a a school night to watch it!

McW

Visit site
The thing is sky are a big sponsor of hickstead so its important it stays on sky, i doubt it will ever go back on bbc but who knows. Id happily pay for the day pass to watch hickstead especially this year they, as they really struggled to get sponsors with carpet right pulling out etc. big sponsors like sky are what got hickstead the new all weather ring which is awesome, so I say keep the big guns sponsoring these events and the big screen in the international arena this year was very good quality.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Totally agree, wish they had it on BBC still. I dont have Sky anymore, not worth the ridiculous cost IMO. Couldn't care less about F1 / horse racing etc. you get that all the time on normal TV but rarely get any equestrian!

Jesstickle

Visit site
Totally agree, wish they had it on BBC still. I dont have Sky anymore, not worth the ridiculous cost IMO. Couldn't care less about F1 / horse racing etc. you get that all the time on normal TV but rarely get any equestrian!

But the point is that equestrianism is a minority sport. Very much so. The BBC don't show a single premiership football match and that is the home league of what is widely considered the national sport. They can' afford to do everything or even much in terms of sport and so they prioritise things which many people want to watch rather than showjumping (for eg) which I imagine gets fairly tiny audiences in the grand scheme of things.

I feel for the BBC really. No one wants to pay twice the license fee (infact only 50% of people think they should pay ANY license fee) but everyone expects the moon from them. I just think I am lucky that they run BBC4 and then pay my sky subscription. I personally think that what Sky charge for full sports coverage and the HBO channel is a pretty fair amount. The poor beeb seem woefully underfunded to my eyes.

Jesstickle

Visit site
Sky sports is worth every penny to me!! I'm a huge football fan and also enjoy F1, plus the three hours of derby today :)

All of that plus I like the cricket too!

I love dedicated sports channels so I don't have to watch crumby hilights only!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I don't have sky :(

On the subject of bbc sport - I am gutted that they don't have full coverage of f1 anymore, but I think they do a good job of showing sports that are more relevant to the general population that equestrianism (as sad as that is), and better fit the 'for the social good' criteria that the bbc are obliged to take into account when spending taxpayers' money.

vallin

Visit site

On the subject of bbc sport - I am gutted that they don't have full coverage of f1 anymore, but I think they do a good job of showing sports that are more relevant to the general population that equestrianism (as sad as that is), and better fit the 'for the social good' criteria that the bbc are obliged to take into account when spending taxpayers' money.

See hint above if you want to watch online!

Jesstickle

Visit site

I think that is what I was trying to say but you said it better :p