Hickstead dies in the ring......

Pottermouse

Visit site
Sorry I haven't read everyones response but if it was my horse, when Hickstead collapsed I wouldn’t not have stood there just tapping him on the head with the butt of my crop, I would have been cradling his head with compassion when he was scared and keeping the dirt out of his eyes and giving comfort. In this position, Eric wouldn't have been in danger himself. Obviously to everyone there was something seriously wrong with Hickstead and he was in pain. Eric may have been in shock, but having dealt with this situation personally, my instinctual reaction was to comfort my friend and to help them in a scary, painful time, not get up when he had lost control of his body and had collapsed. Any horse and professional horse doesn't put this on and do this to be awkward. Thanks and love to the Vets and Stewards that came to his help.

Sheep

Visit site
Sorry I haven't read everyones response but if it was my horse, when Hickstead collapsed I wouldn’t not have stood there just tapping him on the head with the butt of my crop, I would have been cradling his head with compassion when he was scared and keeping the dirt out of his eyes and giving comfort. In this position, Eric wouldn't have been in danger himself. Obviously to everyone there was something seriously wrong with Hickstead and he was in pain. Eric may have been in shock, but having dealt with this situation personally, my instinctual reaction was to comfort my friend and to help them in a scary, painful time, not get up when he had lost control of his body and had collapsed. Any horse and professional horse doesn't put this on and do this to be awkward. Thanks and love to the Vets and Stewards that came to his help.

From what I gather, he wouldn't've been in pain- death in these kinds of circumstances is fairly instantaneous, no? He was probably dead before he hit the floor, despite the reactions of the body's nervous system. As you say, Eric probably was in shock, and didn't know how to react- plus, with the trashing of Hickstead's body, it might've been dangerous to intervene. What seems like a long time in the video probably felt, simulataneously, like an age and an instant.

snaptie

Visit site
From what I gather, he wouldn't've been in pain- death in these kinds of circumstances is fairly instantaneous, no? He was probably dead before he hit the floor, despite the reactions of the body's nervous system. As you say, Eric probably was in shock, and didn't know how to react- plus, with the trashing of Hickstead's body, it might've been dangerous to intervene. What seems like a long time in the video probably felt, simulataneously, like an age and an instant.

Agreed about the time, what an awful scenario to be in.

It's gruesome I know but it may be some comfort to some. I think it obvious he died within a few seconds of his head touching the ground. As many of you well know the thrashing very shortly after a reaction of blood loss/brain death, he was already gone. A terrible incident but what could they do.

snaptie

Visit site

I understand where you come from. I've dealt with several incidents where loose dogs have been hit by a vehicle near my home. A few sideswipes, one broken leg but thankfully nothing fatal for them. Respectfully removed a poor cat before it was turned to mush and still would punch the daylights out of that speeding motorist who killed the poor semi-wild stray chicken who lived in my garden for four years, Winter and Summer. Poor Henrietta.

Eric's was a strange reaction granted, but people do act in peculiar ways when suddenly faced with such an issue they cannot comprehend. I have always automatically attended an animal but, to be fair, this happened within a very few seconds and may have been his first encounter with anything of the sort.

badattitude

Visit site
Lets get a few things straight because comments on this thread from the snatimonious and self righteous are getting on my nerves.
1. Eric was absolutly dazed with the shock of it, I do no think he was 'tapping' the head or whatever someone said consciously, he absolutely positively could not take it in. I was 15 feet away so I am in a good position to know.
2. The legs of Hickstead were not thrashing in pain but a reflex in death action. He was dead in seconds.
3. The audience briefly clapped because many of them did not understand, including two very experienced horse people next to me who had never seen a collapse like that before. Sadly i had in both eventing and racing.
4. The whole incident in real time probably took 15 seconds, the screeens were up in about 30. Has it not occured to anyone on here that the video in the link has been slowed down so you could all see better. The action replays were just further slowing down. I know this from the time on my camera which reads 15.30 as the horse wals past after his round and still 15.30 as i drop the camera in shock with hickstead alread prostrate in the corner of the frame.
5. Shut up if you haven't got anything nice to say.

hadfos

Visit site
This place never ceases to amaze me,and threads like this just remind me why I left,yet again their is a minority casting critism etc over Hicksteads death and apparently the way his rider behaved...FFS his rider was in shock and didnt know what to do,clearly shown by the show hands physically taking the reins from his hands :( As always it has turned into an argument rather than a respectful goodbye to such a top class horse,so what if his death was shown 4 times,I for one saw different things each time I viewed it,he died doing what he loved,it wasnt as instant as most would like but thats life,it happens to people aswell!My thoughts are with all those that knew the horse,he was a talent not to be forgotten !!

rhino

Visit site
Sorry I haven't read everyones response but if it was my horse, when Hickstead collapsed I wouldn’t not have stood there just tapping him on the head with the butt of my crop, I would have been cradling his head with compassion when he was scared and keeping the dirt out of his eyes and giving comfort.

Seriously? Everyone reacts differently in times of trauma, they act out of reflex. Your adrenaline rockets, your reptilian brain takes over; the 'quick and dirty' route means you do not take time to stop and think. You cannot judge someone for this.

With the sudden dramatic drop in blood pressure the horse would have been dead in seconds - possibly even before his head touched the ground. Any movements after that time were involuntary. Eric could have done nothing to help, but could well have put himself and others in risk had he got too close.

Last edited:

darkhorse123

Visit site

i lost my beloved dog 7 weeks ago - very suddenly and not expected. I am so ashamed to admt i couldnt be there at his end - an idiotic thing i regret so so much and am having difficulty in coming to terms with. I was in shock when he fell ill - took him to vets, signed papers so so quickly, cuddled him and ran before the final deed. I jusrt couldnt see him die. I did ask the vet nurses to take care of him
Deep emotions take over especailly when things are unexpected and quick - dont add to the poor mans guilt - his instinct took over - we all have instincts x

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Sorry I haven't read everyones response but if it was my horse, when Hickstead collapsed I wouldn’t not have stood there just tapping him on the head with the butt of my crop, I would have been cradling his head with compassion when he was scared and keeping the dirt out of his eyes and giving comfort.
You don't know WHAT you would do in a situation like that. I'm NOT a stress head. I never get shellshocked and emotional and I always know what to do, yet I was at a party where my MOTHER choked. She couldn't breathe and I did absolutely ******* all. I stood there like a moron goldfish gaping at her while a waitress thumped her on the back and porformed the heimlich manoeuvre. Don't be so pedantic.

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
Whilst EB may not thank me for this, please nobody give them a hard time about their post. They have lost a beloved pet of their own recently and tonight posted on a different thread about the anger they feel. I think we should grant EB the benefit of the doubt that they are reacting to circumstances outside of this thread tonight. Take care, EB xxx

this.

MiCsarah

Visit site
You don't know WHAT you would do in a situation like that. I'm NOT a stress head. I never get shellshocked and emotional and I always know what to do, yet I was at a party where my MOTHER choked. She couldn't breathe and I did absolutely ******* all. I stood there like a moron goldfish gaping at her while a waitress thumped her on the back and porformed the heimlich manoeuvre. Don't be so pedantic.

Im with you, its so easy to say what you would do but completely different in the situation. Shock is a suprising thing