Hiding horses from OH friends or family

MasterBenedict

Visit site
My parents have no idea that I own a horse!!

I live away from home and bought him 6 months ago keeping him on DIY livery and would never look back.

They are NOT horsey or 'animal' people at all and I think it would just upset/worry them so I have chosen not to say a word...

Although they do get a bit confused as to why I will never visit them for more than 1 night and my car looks like a stable...... XD

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have a friend and daughter who bought a pony and hid it from her husband for over a year. He thought she helped with it! She has since sold it and hidden that from the daughter who thinks its at a friends til its a bit older.... This one could go a bit wrong?!?

gina2201

Visit site
I think mine would wonder where I was going every day?! How do you explain that, and not allowing them to want to come with you?

If I didn't have a house/mortgage then I might consider 'just buying one' for myself but as finances are joint, plus in the long run we will look to move to a property with enough land to allow us to have two (one each - his words) I can wait and be good and spend money on home improvements and saving!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I couldn't hide a horse from OH as they are at home with us and I think he would notice an extra one. We did buy a miniature filly as a surprise for my MIL the end of last year and the plan was not to tell her until Christmas but in the end decided to tell her the night before we went to get her so that she could come with us to collect her. We had agreed to buy her in July and didn't tell my MIL until November, I felt so guilty about not telling her but all worked out well and the filly has settled so well its like she has always been here, she is adorable and my other two minis love her.

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I am the world's worst liar - so I could never do it! I would never want to either to be fair. I'm not sure whether to be impressed by people that have managed it or not?! :D

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I'm a rubbish liar too, I couldn't keep the secret.

I always want to bore my OH with all the minutiae of my day -as he does to me, so not telling him how wonderful a new horse was, would be a killer.

cobbles

Visit site
Lol some of you are certainly very sly!! We recently bought another one and mum and me only told dad when the transporter rang and he answered! Whoopsie :D My mum bought a yearling 3yrs ago and last year ours escaped (keep them at home on the farm) and my grandad helped gather the so and so's back in, while doing this he counted :eek: BIG mistake he asked how long we'd had that one and we told him 2yrs - he'd only believe us after we showed him the passport! Very innocently I asked him weren't farmers supposed to be observant! He he. The trick is to get them in the same colour - we practically have all chestnut mares. Love them lots really :)

ghostie

Visit site
well, I'm currently sat waiting nervously for my OH to come home to broach the subject of a 2nd horse, so safe to say I couldn't bring myself to get one and hide it, even though he'd never know. The thought did cross my mind :eek: but only for about 30 seconds before I realised how impractical it would be :D

flirtygerty

Visit site
I don't need to hide anything from my Oh, although new tack etc is always a sale bargain.
I once hid a GSD puppy for 2 months in full view of my daughter, I wanted to see if she would care for him properly, she cared for the pup without being asked and xmas morning was given his papers in her name, he lived till he was 16 and whenever daughter was home (army) no one else existed for the dog, likewise she always said hello to the dog first