High ACTH levels - please share yours

autumn7

Visit site
Old mare's first ever blood test result came back yesterday with an ACTH reading of 397.
Now I realise that is high and that normal is 29 or lower, but just how outrageously high is it in the grand scheme of things?
Have read endlessly on the web and can't seem to find any comparable readings about just how high levels go to.
Collecting a few Prascend tabs from vet this pm to tide me over until online prescription comes through. Want to get her started on treatment ASAP.

muff747

Visit site
O-my-word:eek: I have heard of levels getting up high but not many that high. Especially at this time of year when i should be almost at it's lowest. I would join the EC/IR yahoo group, they will have files and members history for you to compare levels with.
Have you managed to avoid laminitis? Late Autumn is usually when you see the highest levels.
Liiphook have some good info here http://www.liphookequinehosp.co.uk/documents/PituitaryParsIntermediaDysfunction.pdf
EC/IR Group here http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/EquineCushings/

O my boy's highest before I got it under control was only 104!

Last edited:

nativepony

Visit site
My NF mare was diagnosed two years ago and her levels after the first blood test came back at 193, at one point they got down to 28 but at her last blood test were 49, she's on 3mg of Prascend at the moment - was advised by vet to up to 4mg but have decided to add vitex agnus castus as well as the 3mg and closely monitor her. It's a horrible thing and I've spent many a sleepless night worrying about her, feel free to pm me if you want to chat :)

muff747

Visit site
Collecting a few Prascend tabs from vet this pm to tide me over until online prescription comes through. Want to get her started on treatment ASAP.

You might find she goes off her feed if you start on 1 tablet. If she's already off feeds, the group advise tapering, i.e. start with a quarter of a tablet for four days then half for four days then three quarters.
Some don't get the side effects though,
good luck

Oberon

Visit site
Old mare's first ever blood test result came back yesterday with an ACTH reading of 397.
Now I realise that is high and that normal is 29 or lower, but just how outrageously high is it in the grand scheme of things?
Have read endlessly on the web and can't seem to find any comparable readings about just how high levels go to.

My old boy's result came back at over 200 a month ago.

He's looked fab all winter and then, this spring suddenly looked dreadful. It was just his coat - scurfy, patchy and dull.

I took advantage of the free testing voucher and had the vet test him. The vet asked why I wanted him testing first and I couldn't really explain what I felt.

Vet just figured I was testing to use the voucher.

When the result came back the next day, the vet apologised for doubting me and said he really didn't expect that level!

The point I am making is that some horses hide a high result well ;)

He has been on 1mg Prascend a day since then and has now started to look better. His ginger hair started to come back black and he almost changed colour
eek.gif
. But he is going ginger again now :)

I was mindful of the 'Pergolide Veil' where they become depressed and low in appetite after going on the meds - but he's been fine and happy.

I went onto the Yahoo group with my tail between my legs when I first got the result - but they weren't too worried and just said he will have had cushings for a while and not to worry now he was on the treatment.

I am happy that he had the diet and hoof care in place beforehand. I've been feeding herbs balanced minerals for a while now and I suspect it's what has kept him healthy this long.

LeneHorse

Visit site
I also used the free voucher and my mare's test came back with a score of 55, normal for this time of year is under 30. She has been on prascend for 2 weeks and it has not affected her appetite. She gets re-tested in two weeks so I'll let you know how she gets on.
I have been trying to join the Yahoo group but am having all sorts of problems - I thought i had a log-in and password but when I tried it the next day it said there was a problem. I tried to do it again and had the same problem so have given up trying :(
Regarding the test results a friend who is a pharmacist says the cushings test can throw up false positives - has anyone else heard this?

Oberon

Visit site
I also used the free voucher and my mare's test came back with a score of 55, normal for this time of year is under 30. She has been on prascend for 2 weeks and it has not affected her appetite. She gets re-tested in two weeks so I'll let you know how she gets on.
I have been trying to join the Yahoo group but am having all sorts of problems - I thought i had a log-in and password but when I tried it the next day it said there was a problem. I tried to do it again and had the same problem so have given up trying :(
Regarding the test results a friend who is a pharmacist says the cushings test can throw up false positives - has anyone else heard this?

And you think you have the right to post on here with a measly 55
naughty.gif
lol.gif

You should still be able to read the articles on the Yahoo group, even with no login.

I believe you can get false positives if you test in the autumn as the levels are higher naturally then anyway. But I'm still new to it all too :p

muff747

Visit site
And you think you have the right to post on here with a measly 55
naughty.gif
lol.gif

You should still be able to read the articles on the Yahoo group, even with no login.
No you do have to join to be able to read the information and even the members posts.

I believe you can get false positives if you test in the autumn as the levels are higher naturally then anyway. But I'm still new to it all too :p
Liphook Equine Labs seasonally adjust their results to give accurate results nowadays. But there are strict guidelines on the handling and processing of the blood and if this is not adhered to, there can be false results.
And lenehorse - Yahoo sometimes have glitches on their site so I would try again. There is a mountain of information on there gathered mostlly from the over 10,000 members.

Last edited:

autumn7

Visit site
Thank you all, good to know of further sources for info and have now joined the Yahoo group. Sure it'll be much used, espec. in these early days.

muff747 I did read about the gradual intro advantages so gave her half last night and will stick to this for a couple more days, then up it to 3/4 etc. Better safe than sorry.

Feels good to know her treatment has started though as seems her count was sky high.

Clipped her fully in two stages yesterday and today as her coat is so incredibly dense, but not curly. She must feel better for it in this latest heatwave. Other than her lingering thick coat and often appearing depressed/lethargic (which I'd taken as her increasing age - she's 26) I'd say there's no further signs of ill health. Just goes to show!

Lenehorse, please do report back once next tested, I'm really interested on how everyone's horses are responding in the first instance. Mine is to be retested in a month from now. There's GOT to be a drop - surely.

muff747

Visit site
. Mine is to be retested in a month from now. There's GOT to be a drop - surely.

Sounds like you got away with it thank goodness. Lots of owners don't realise their equines have cushings because you don't always get the classic visible signs. My boy looks fit as a fiddle at age 24 and apart from losing weight in the early spring, he still doesn't look like a typical PPID horse.
In the first twelve months, it took a few increases in Pergolide dose and retests to get the level down to normal but I have heard some go from very high levels down to normal on just 1mg of Pergolide.

0ldmare

Visit site
Oh dear I can beat you all!

When my mare was first diagnosed her level was something like 750 :eek: can't remember the exact number but mid 700's anyway. After going on Prascend 1mg her level dropped to 148 so the dose was upped to 1.5 and she is now at a much healthier 48. Ok not perfect but heaps better and vet is happy not to increase it.

Her summer coat has come through really well and she's back to being glossy and shiny.

Paula Hughes

New User
Visit site
My 20 year old pony had his ACTH levels tested at the beginning of August as I happened to mention to the vet on a routine visit that his coat was fluffier than normal. Over the years we have always had to clip him in August and then roughly every 2/3 weeks and several times a year he has medium to high worm counts but apart from that there are no obvious signs of cushings. His ACTH levels came back as 515 and the vet recommended he go on a herbal supplement, Cush X Gold, and be retested in 8 weeks. His levels are now in the low 300's and he will be retested in another 8 weeks which will hopefully show a further improvement.

Last edited:

mtj

Visit site
Just been through the false positive scenario. Had my 17 yr old tested whilst he was at the vets having a lameness assessment. I was aware joint injection was on the cards.

Result came back at over 140. Totally unexpected. Bloods re taken at home and the result was 29.

At least in my horse's case, stress played a major part in the initial result.

SizzlerB

Visit site
My mare was diagnosed last August. First reading in 40's. Re tests always between 18 and 22. Had her tested last week and it's gone up to 78 :-( So 1/2 tablet has gone up to 1 a day.

My vet said her results were extremely high, but having read others on this post I feel for you all.

x

ihatework

Visit site
I have a 17yo 7/8th TB.
He's being living out 24/7, unrugged and just on hay for the last couple of years.
Looks fab in his coat in the summer (it was very thick and yak like in the winter), but despite getting fed very little he always carries too much weight.

Been musing for a while about having him tested, bit the bullet and he was done this spring and came out with a level of 320!!!!!

He was retired for feet issues, and although feild sound barefoot, he is noticeably far more comfortable on his feet now he has started prascend - so it has probably been sub-laminitic for quite some while, we were lucky not to get a full blown episode.

Nanolol

Visit site
Simon's: 81.9 pmol/L. Reference range 2-10. Tested 9/30/2012. Just started pergolide a few days ago-currently on 25 mg, will be upped to 50 mg in 2 weeks.

mailme1918

Visit site
hi my 22 years old mare has just been tested and its at 50..
I took advantage of the free test if you look over at new horse and rider under 22 year old mare to buy or not to buy you can follow my story of how I came to get angel
anyway the vet wants to start angel on half a tablet a day but im debating wheather to hold off for a few reasons really.
1. he took the sample from angel while she was heavily sedated after her throwing a paddy when having the gag in for dental treatment
2. not showing many signs yes shes sway back and has a pot belly and is underweight but she has been neglected and unfed ive had her a month and have totally changed her feeds and care could this not mess with the test?
3. shes shredding her coat fine infact I could make hundrreds of wigs out of the amount of hair I groom out daily.
4. angel was very depressed but she had been left in a field ignored unruuged unfed un wormed she had nothing .. she seems a lot happier now she has me visiting her 3 times a day feeding her.
her mucsles are wasted away but again no work been done
she has got a bit of fatty tissues in her neck/mane
doesnot drink a lot is not curly coat is dull and dry im guessing due to neglect again.
in 4 weeks of me having her the difference is great shes gaining weight only another 25kg to go no stiffness thanks to the suppliments and regular walking with me.
im in 2 minds wheather to hold of any medication for a month or 2 then retest
does this test have to be taken at any particular time of day, would the sedation effect the outcome. would her change in life style alter this
im ringing the vet tomorrow with a list of these questions but any advice would be great.

paddy555

Visit site
hi my 22 years old mare has just been tested and its at 50..

anyway the vet wants to start angel on half a tablet a day but im debating wheather to hold off for a few reasons really.
1. he took the sample from angel while she was heavily sedated after her throwing a paddy when having the gag in for dental treatment

I cannot believe anyone would test under those conditions. Why didn't your vet test first before she was stressed? I discussed testing my very nervous little mare with the vet and the vet decided she would be too stressed just from taking the blood to get an accurate reading. I was also told by the vet that the sample shouldn't be taken whilst the horse was sedated.

I think you need to restest under better conditions if you are going to rely on the test results.

HashRouge

Visit site
Mine was 40 something, so not especially compared to some! But she had horrible trouble with abscesses, we just couldn't get rid of them. My vet said sometimes horses can have ACTH levels that are only just "high" as opposed to "normal", but can have very noticeable symptoms. My mare has now been abscess free for nearly five months *touch wood*. Also, the difference in the hoof growth she has had since taking the Prascend is really really noticeable - whereas before she has horrible growth rings, she now has a gorgeous bit of smooth, new hoof growing in.

paulineh

Visit site
I can beat all of you, in September last year my New Forest mare (24 yrs old) was blood tested. The only signs she ever showed was a couple of foot abesses in 12 years.She has always been a subdued little girl so nothing new, always got rid of her coat each year. Her results came back >1200 retested in October and it had come down to 238. She had never been on the drug just the Hilton Herbs CushX. I will have her retested sometime in June to see what the results are now.

I was advised by my vet to put her on the Cushx and not the drug,unless she got worse.

I changed her diet a bit just removing the excess sugars.

mailme1918

Visit site
I spoke to the vet again yoday apparently the sedation nor the fact that shed just had an hours dental work and a health check would effect the results and said he thinks starting her on the meds sooner rather than later is better. . But I just feel there's something not right going straight to meds .. the results where 54.8.
Im being told of horsey friends to hold off and manage her diet for laminitis but vet said the meds will make her feel better and help her emmune system and lessen the likelihood of laminitis.

LucyPriory

Visit site
I spoke to the vet again yoday apparently the sedation nor the fact that shed just had an hours dental work and a health check would effect the results and said he thinks starting her on the meds sooner rather than later is better. . But I just feel there's something not right going straight to meds .. the results where 54.8.
Im being told of horsey friends to hold off and manage her diet for laminitis but vet said the meds will make her feel better and help her emmune system and lessen the likelihood of laminitis.

You are right if your horse is PPID, just managing for lami isn't enough. See
http://ecirhorse.org/index.php/cushing-s-disease/physiology-of-ppid-cushing-s-disease

Last edited:

paddy555

Visit site

if you google "horse, stress, ACTH" you will find plenty to suggest stress is to be avoided.
Seems to me your vet could be covering his own back. However, from my own experience of using prascend, I think he is right that the meds will make her feel better and certainly help the immune system.
Even if your horse is only suspected to be cushings it is very iimportant to get the management systems into place.

boobear

Visit site
My girls highest was 237 and we got it down to 20 but unfortunately she didnt make it....had her flu and tet jab done and it rocketed it to the point of founder, so I would beg with anyone to carefully consider having their horse's injections done especially if their horse is having a laminitic episode

LucyPriory

Visit site
My girls highest was 237 and we got it down to 20 but unfortunately she didnt make it....had her flu and tet jab done and it rocketed it to the point of founder, so I would beg with anyone to carefully consider having their horse's injections done especially if their horse is having a laminitic episode

So sorry for you loss.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
mine was diagnosed in august 2011, acth level 172....have had her tested quite a few times and she is now on 2 1/2 prascend daily and latest test in feb this year showed level of 45 and liphook feel that level is acceptable although ideally it should be under 29. i never seem to be able to relax about her condition and am paranoid about laminitis....have been lucky so far....