High blood pressure in cats

SEL

Visit site
My cat is about 12 (stray who turned up in my back garden when she was very young so not entirely sure of age). Every summer she goes to the vets for her annual jabs and they express some concern about something or other, I have bloods done and there is nothing to show. She's a tiny cat who has never been more than 3kg so when she drops weight it looks very obvious. She seems fit and well in herself and is still catching mice and letting me know at 4am, but she is a bit thin

She has a reflux problem with her food that she's had all the time I've known her. She was absolutely infested with tapeworm and fleas when I first found her (no hair) so I suspect there's some gut damage which will never heal.

Last year the vets checked her thyroid amongst other things and all was well.

This year in her annual check up the vet looked into her eyes and said she can see by the blood vessels that her blood pressure must be up and that's concerning (I agree). She needs to go over to the hospital to have her teeth looked at and one possibly removed. Not entirely sure the insurance will cover this because her reflux has given her teeth problems over the years, but we'll pay for whatever is needed obviously. Only problem is a GA with elevated blood pressure isn't great.

I've really struggled to find much on line as to why a skinny little cat might have raised blood pressure - it mainly seems to link to diabetes. I took her in just after those ridiculously hot days, so I'm half wondering if she was dehydrated.

Anyone else had raised blood pressure?

Umbongo

Visit site
Lots of reasons why a cat can have high blood pressure. I would be a bit concerned that your vet isn't investigating further.

Your cat will need to have a blood pressure reading at least. Most clinics I have worked in will have the cat in for the day and take repeated readings during the day (so that they have plenty of time to calm down, if just done in a normal consult most cats will have high pressure from traveling, waiting in a noisy waiting room with dogs etc). If the blood pressure is continuously high then medication will be required to reduce it. Prolonged hypertension in cats can cause blindness.

Otherwise I would also be thinking about the possibility of increased occular pressure, which is a whole different issue. I would be going back to the vets to ask for a blood pressure check and go from there.

Regarding your insurance, most companies won't cover dental work, but best to check your policy as the odd one will do.

Last edited:

DirectorFury

Visit site
Kidney problems can cause high blood pressure - I’m really surprised your vet didn’t take bloods to check kidney function at the appointment. The earlier you catch kidney disease the better the outcome.

SEL

Visit site
Kidney problems can cause high blood pressure - I’m really surprised your vet didn’t take bloods to check kidney function at the appointment. The earlier you catch kidney disease the better the outcome.
It's a satellite branch and during covid they stopped doing anything particularly useful and don't seem to have started again

Thanks & to Umbongo too - I'm going to ring the main practice and get her booked in. It's a PITA because you get held up by HS2 traffic getting there. I've had 3 mice since the vet visit so she's fine in herself but if there is something underlying I need to know.

@ycbm she's forever looked like a fluffy kitten so it's quite hard to hear the vet call her an older cat!

SEL

Visit site
So we've been regulars at the vets this week. Went in for her blood tests with me warning them that she was off her food in the heat (normal) & dehydrated. Decided to keep her in overnight on a drip, X ray mouth to check teeth and do bloods.

All bloods totally normal but a cavity showing on the x-ray with a back molar. Had 2 removed in the end and picked up late Fri night with pain relief. She was Very Cross and went AWOL on Saturday and we finally found her hiding amongst all the junk under the spare bed. Obviously in pain so another trip back to the vets at 9pm last night. They debated keeping her in but apparently she hissed and struck out at their staff on Thurs / Fri - so we all decided to inject and send home. (3kg with the aura and attitude of a tiger ?)

She's still not talking to me but she is eating the very expensive cat food so hopefully on the mend. I'm praying for a weather change because I think it's the heat causing the quirky blood pressure readings. How do you persuade a cat to drink more??

Oh and the bill is huge ?

DirectorFury

Visit site
Im glad her blood tests were normal!
Re: food - to get my boy cat to drink more I feed him Katkin and add half a bowl of hot water to it which he loves.