High fetlock heat - ideas?? Also in NL

Abbeygale

Visit site
Brief bit about my mare - 15.2 welsh x, 16 yo, owned her for 8 yrs. Recently been gradually upping her hacking workload as we're planning to do a few endurance pleasure rides. Mainly road work (but this is as normal for us - no school and not much off road available). We've been to the beach for some steady canter work (wet firm sand, no mad galloping) a couple of times recently.

Early last week she came in slightly stiff behind. Not out and out lame, just not quite right. No swelling, but some heat in near hind pastern/fetlock. Suspected abcess so tubbed foot for a few days. Day after coming in not right, she trotted up sound so she was turned out.

She was looking completely sound so I rode at the weekend. Went fine, really enjoying herself, nothing over dramatic was done.

Last night her near hind fetlock was again warm, but no swelling. She was moving fine, and was quite happy to turn small circles around her quarters. So I cold hosed and then put stable wraps on over night. Fetlock was not swollen this morning and temp of both legs was the same (not stone cold as had wraps on but both legs the same). Still no lameness, and feeling full of herself going off across the field :-O.

Tonight same hind fetlock is again warm but still no swelling. She's moving fine on it still. I've cold hosed and will put wraps on when I see to her in a bit again

Any ideas??

Apologies for the length - tea and crumpets all round :)

Abbeygale

Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I had just clipped her legs out recently, so although amazing given the weather she hasn't any scabs on her legs.

I spoke to the vets today, and all they could suggest was it still *might* be an abscess brewing, but unlikely. Carry on cold hosing and bute if necessary.
So still not much the wiser! I'm hoping its just a slight sprain, and her recent increased work load and increasing years is playing a part :)