High wither, large shoulder saddle woes :(

Louby

Visit site
Any suggestions for a saddle make that suits high withered, big shouldered TB x types. I had been happily using my Black Country dressage saddle in a wide, sat nicely, decent wither clearance but noticed the saddle was moving back and he became tender on one side under the rear gusset. He is quite new to me, saddle is from my previous horse and I thought the fit was pretty good apart from it moving. So saddler comes out and says its too wide and alters it to a MW. I did question that it now looked as if it could tip my weight towards the back of the saddle but they said it was right and was too wide before, wither clearance was much better. I rode over the weekend and noticed a soft tender swelling on his back in the rear gusset area so havent rode since, the swelling has gone but Im stuck now with a saddle that was worse than before and a saddler Ive lost faith in. So its back to the drawing board, I knew at some point soon Id have to get a saddle specifically for him and have seen Kent and Masters for high wither but Im concerned about the length as his large shoulder seems to push the saddle back so going on this sensitive area,
Any reccomendations please?

Louby

Visit site
Thanks for replying, yes its looking that way and I dont mind paying but sadly getting a good saddler is proving hard. Ive had good and bad experiences with different saddlers and horses over the years and just dont know who to go with.
Any suggestions from North West peeps :)

Copperpot

Visit site
Same here. I tried a Wow but we didn't get on with it. My new saddle arrived just over 10 days ago and so far, so good. It was from a company called All Saddle Solutions. They do models especially for horses with big shoulders. They are in Yorkshire I think.

Copperpot

Visit site
My Impala was tipping me back and made him sore right at the back of the saddle and just behind it. I didn't realise how badly it was doing it until I rode in my new one. I'd had it professionally fitted too 😳

Charlie77

Visit site
I have a kent & masters gp on mine. Id been happily using a sue carson till a few weeks back id also get a bump after riding thought it was an old fly bite. He then had time off with an abcess in his foot. Went to put saddle back on and he in no uncertain terms said No WAY so im back to the gp. Osteopath was a huge help to x

LadyRascasse

Visit site
I had an albion style (the model before the K2) GP on my TB with big shoulders and a high wither. He was cold back due to previously poorly fitting saddles and I never had a problem with him once he was in this. K+M was one of the saddle suggested for him by my saddler too, as was the Ideal Impala.

Louby

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Its only been a week but Im getting impatient already as I want a saddle now lol. Friend has lent me her old Jaguar to try and the swept up panels means it is clear of this area, although Ive not ridden in it yet. Be sods law its ok as Ive recently sold the exact saddle as my short coupled old boy had one. Think I need a good saddler to come out and fit really though.

Hollywood

Visit site
I have had saddle issues with my horse and was recommended Kay Humphries - she has been fantastic and can't recommend her enough.

apachediamond

Visit site
I wouldn't say J is overly high withered but he has a massive shoulder, the saddle fitter even commented on how she usually sees shoulders his size on 16.2+ WB's (He's a 15.2 ISH). We have a GFS Pro elite and we both love it. The difference between that and my old saddle was immediately noticeable, freed up his shoulder instantly.

leflynn

Visit site
I ended up with a close contact saddle for mine (Style duo flap SJ/GP), bought 2nd hand as he changes shape frequently, tried all sorts before that and they might fit the front or the back or him but not me! Good luck :)

HeresHoping

Visit site

fatpiggy

Visit site
My girl had very high withers but was very narrow. Her shoulder was big though according to the saddler. Best saddle I had was a Lemetex but it got stolen :( However, the saddler did advise me to use the middle and back girth straps which mean there was more freedom for the shoulder.

misskk88

Visit site
Same issue with my horse. Extremely high withered with big shoulders and movement to match!

Bought a Thorowgood T6 high wither gp saddle. It has an adjustable gullet which allows change if needed- perfect as she can change shape quite quickly. Not everyone gets on with them- but actually this saddles fits her very well and she is very comfortable in it.

blitznbobs

Visit site
With a high withered horse look for a saddle with a slightly curved tree... It allows for the wither and prevents rocking... But needless to say find a saddle fitter you trust is a prerogative .

Starry_eyes

Visit site
I have a Kent & Masters high wither GPD for mine. He's a TB with v high withers and is wide with big shoulders. Fits like a dream, is adjustable, and being straighter cut doesn't interfere with his movement / shoulders at all.

Louby

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies, will have a look at all your suggestions re fitters and saddles :) Tried a few today, just ones I could borrow until Im sorted and the Black Country Kur fitted by far the best, the Jaguar was a close second, and an Ideal WH not bad at all really, thinking maybe a Jessica may be possible as I really want a dressage saddle, the others though were very similar to mine as in bridging. Hoping to get to a Kent & Masters stockist to see these over the weekend as dont mind buying one of these new as they dont seem mega expensive. Im not in the market for a new Jaguar/Amerigo type saddle at the mo but do think the curvy tree and swept up panels is what he probably needs.

Louby

Visit site
Thanks, I think thats what I may have to do :( The :( is mainly because I can get away with a 17 but 16 1/2, hmmm we shall have to see. The Black Country Im going to borrow and which looks the best is a 16 1/2 and it just 'looks right' on him. I sat it behind his shoulder, which makes it look a bit far back tbh but thats where my 17 inch bulkier saddle is ensing up and then with the bulky back panels or gussets?? its sitting too far back, pretty much on his loins. Just looked at the K&M's and they seem to start at 17 inch :(

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Thanks, I think thats what I may have to do :( The :( is mainly because I can get away with a 17 but 16 1/2, hmmm we shall have to see. The Black Country Im going to borrow and which looks the best is a 16 1/2 and it just 'looks right' on him. I sat it behind his shoulder, which makes it look a bit far back tbh but thats where my 17 inch bulkier saddle is ensing up and then with the bulky back panels or gussets?? its sitting too far back, pretty much on his loins. Just looked at the K&M's and they seem to start at 17 inch :(

Our boys looks like its too far back but if you put it where its supposed to go his shoulders move it back anyway.

He has scars under his belly from.his racing days and that's quite far back, its actually were the girth comes to rest once saddle has moved, so even in a racing saddle he moved the saddle I to a different position.

Have a look at bates as well, they start at 16 1/2".

Louby

Visit site
Will do thanks :) I noticed his girth ends up a bit further back than I'd expect but I thought that was down to the fact my saddle wasnt actually fit to him so not really as it should be. I knew Id need a new saddle soon but didnt think mine was bad at all otherwise I wouldnt have used it in the first place. Im a bad mummy and feel pretty bad now.... poor boy :(

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Will do thanks :) I noticed his girth ends up a bit further back than I'd expect but I thought that was down to the fact my saddle wasnt actually fit to him so not really as it should be. I knew Id need a new saddle soon but didnt think mine was bad at all otherwise I wouldnt have used it in the first place. Im a bad mummy and feel pretty bad now.... poor boy :(

We tried different firths, breast plate etc and all it ended up doing was prolonging the wrong saddle on his back and he ended up having a sore patch at the back of his saddle area so we can join you in the bad mummy's group.

Louby

Visit site
Awwww thanks everyone. Ive felt Ive been in the kill thread group for a while and havent been on here for a while but you have all been fantastic with your suggestions and advice.

tabithakat64

Visit site
My TBx was is an Albion K2 VSD on the TB tree. He had very high withers and a massive shoulder.
The small useless ginger one has a saddle company saddle which in the 17 years of ownership is the only saddle that's ever fitted her...

mrswad

Visit site
My horse kept getting swellings over his spine after riding. It seems that if the saddle gullet is narrow anywhere between the panels he gets them. Not sore, but unsightly. I tried an Albion for their wider gullets & no problems unless the saddle cloth creases or is too thick. Sounds like the same sort of thing; sell Black Country & get something else? Good luck