Highland Ponies - any comments on the breed?

Daphnelia

Visit site
Had one on full loan for a year and he was wonderful. 100% in every way, could jump a house, show, do handy pony, vaulting! I even have a classic video of us show jumping where he put in a huge jump on the first part of a double, and I landed on his neck, he pushed me back into the saddle, stopped for me to compose my self, then jumped out again! Bless that pony, I do miss him
I can only think of horsemart, and of course the various breeders sites, you'd have to google them im afraid

xx

moon_drop

Visit site
Hiya
As you know I've got one sandy!! They can do anything!! I've jumped a highland over 3ft!! they can be hard work at times but will worth it!
theres a post in the breeding forum with places to look for highlands.
You know am only a PM away if you want to know anything!!

the watcher

Visit site
Love them completely..and think mine is an angel..steady, good doers, gentle natures (although can turn into fire breathing dragons on fun rides and hunting) - used a lot for RDA and similar because they will easily carry 14st and are steady.

Try the Highland Pony Society and Highland Pony Enthusiasts Club websites for ponies for sale

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
Thanks Daphnelia. I have been in touch with a couple of breeders but I am not sure that I really have the ability to bring on a youngster. I think I would probably be better with an older one and am keeping my eyes on Horsemart etc.

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
Thank you Moondrop. I will PM you again sometime soon for more advice I'm sure!!

Thanks the_watcher. I like the fact that they are weight carriers because I am looking for something that all the family can ride i.e. Mum, Dad and teenage daughter so I think that a Highland might fit the bill very well. Off to check out a few more sites now .....

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
Thanks again moon_drop. Some useful leads there. I am hoping that my WB sells soon. I put him up for sale this weekend and have had a couple of enquiries already so, hopefully, I will soon have a free stable for my new Highland!

alisonpook

Visit site
The Horsequest site has a specific section for Highlands - they seem to sell very quickly. Friend of a friend used to have one - a game little thing - it's nickname was "the flying sausage".

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
Highland's are fab!!! I'll post a photo of ours in a sec
wink.gif

They're really pretty (but don't be fooled by the cute face, they can get past a locked door, a grazing muzzle, an electric fence, anything!), they're full of character and they can turn their hoof to everything! The only thing I'd warn you about is they can be a bit strong if they set their mind on something :p Other then that, they're fab!

amzy

Visit site
There are exceptions to the rule with any breed - my friend had a Highland who did nothing but rear with a rider on board and was very unruly altogether. A lot depends on how a horse is brought up I think. Cobs are supposed to be quiet and generally good for novices but I wouldn't say mine were in that class.

the watcher

Visit site
I think that a good deal does come down to how they are handled and trained as youngsters - it IS a lot of pony if it decides not to co-operate, fortunately I haven't met a bad one, and I have met a few.....

Orangehorse

Visit site
Because they are pretty good natured sometimes they are not schooled correctly, which is when you get into trouble. They are VERY strong, but people who have them love them to bits.

I wonder if I have that rearing Highland? I have a highland as a companion with strict instructions that he is not to be ridden.

It is a shame because at one point he was obviously very well handled as he is basically well mannered and easy and is a perfect companion pony - although I have had to remind him of his manners once or twice. I wonder what went wrong with his riding because the last time he was ridden out with 2 field companions he did nothing but nap, rear and run backwards and so frightened his rider that he is never to be ridden again.

Boodle

Visit site
Couldn't praise them enough!
My friend has 4 Highlands, one of which is in foal again, and lasy year's filly is now a year old.
I have ridden a good few Highlands and have only found one I didn't like... a black gelding who had never been told who was boss and used to charge people in the field. He's now at a Riding School and with regular work and discipline he is fine and great for the larger novice riders.
But my sister rode a fantastic Highland called Kyle... he'd jump round 3ft3 courses, despite everyonelooking at him and thinking he couldn't shift his bum to canter. He did XC and fun rides, excellent hack, and my sister absolutely adored him. His owners sold him onto a riding school and he is a firm favourite there.

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
I had a highland pony for a short time and she was great. I wish I hadn't sold her, but I bought her with a "friend" who decided she needed her share of the money and I couldn't afford to buy her out or keep the pony at that time. She went on to do great things - dressage, hunting, showing - and I kept in touch with the people who bought her until they sold her on as a first horse for a novice. She was a real little character, but very generous. I would go to a few shows and watch the native classes. If you see one you like, ask the owner who the breeder was and get in touch - they might have one for sale.

Law

Visit site
I had one that I had for ten years and he did everything. He was an absolute star- sure footed, placid but happy in his work apart from schooling which was mutual!
smile.gif

A very lovely boy he was.

tiggie

Visit site
We have loads of highlands up here(fairly obviously as I'm in the Highlands!) and I love them, they have great temprements and will have a go at anything.Beware, they are incredibly good do-ers though.
Highland crosses are also great- I have a Highland x Clydesdale as I am abit tall for a Highland.She just looks and behaves like a large Highland.
Highlands come in some beautiful colours too

sallypops

Visit site
i have one poppy, i love her to death but sometime the highland shows through and she will tank off, her neck is huge as are her shoulders so she is extremly strong, she can be stubborn and grumpy, but even with all these flaws the majority of times on the ground she is a cuddly wee angel and i wouldn't trade her for toytown
smile.gif

izzyxxx

Visit site
there was a little 13.3 gelding for sale on www.thehorseexchange.com i rang up about it and it sounded perfect in everyway other than the fact that it had attached its self to their mare so that was a problem and after getting rid of my loan pony beacause of that very reason i had so say no otherwise i would have snapped it up it might be worth a look on that site

happy hunting
grin.gif

JessPickle

Visit site
Lydia on here has miffy as locely highland, the most bombproof pony on the yard, he tries really hard can do a lovely dressage test and after a lot of work is a very stylish jumper

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
Thanks everyone. I have been invited to hack out on a Highland with a lady who breeds them in Yorkshire to make sure that I like them and then I am going to do my best to track one down. Most people who have them seem to love them. I'm sure they're not perfect and they certainly look as if they can all be strong but the best pony I ever had was a strong native. I will keep you posted if I manage to find one and I'm sure I'll have fun looking!