Highland ponies on the hunting field?

teddy_

Visit site
I am looking to purchase a large breed M&M, predominately for ridden showing, WHP and hunting.

I have whittled my search down to two potential horses, one is a Section D who I know will do both jobs but, the other is a Highland (each horse has their own pros and cons separate from this point).

Can anyone on here comment on their experience of hunting Highland ponies? Needless to say, I understand there is great variation within the breed and that some examples are more athletic than others but I am just after a general consensus :). I am not looking to jump enormous hedges and ditches but popping the odd rail and smaller hedge would be nice!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
You would be find with Sussex jumping, it's not particularly big country, nor usually so much on clay. There are always smaller/non-jumping options should you not want to over face your horse. I know lots of smaller cob/well built types that hunt here.

irishdraft

Visit site
Someone in the hunt I hunt with has a highland, she doesn't do all the jumping but is able to do most post & rail days . We hunt mainly in east Sussex

P.forpony

Visit site
My old highland would have been great out in smaller jumping country and more recently I've seen a Highland out with us and competing in hunter trials giving people up on big irish things a run for their money! ?
I'd say within reason it's more dependant on their mindset than their build, obviously they're not best suited to going round an open team chase but with the right attitude they'll surprise a lot of people.

crazyandme

Visit site
I hunted my old Highland, only a couple of times as mum refused to let me go more often (was only a teen). Was around Bucks/Herts region, and he loved it, and was far more sensible with the odd ditch we came across than many other horses.
Didn't do all the jumps, but that was more often to do with me wimping out than him though! Couldn't keep up with the fastest at the front, but he was quite happy tootling around at the back anyway