Highland ponies - tell me all

Simbapony

Visit site
I keep on having my head turned by highland ponies, but keep on having people tell me that they are stubborn, no very forward thinking or athletic. Id be wanting to show at a high level, but I do like forward thinking, fun rides - tell me all - the good and the bad please

gallopingby

Visit site
Difficult to find a good one that’s well schooled as they tend not to move homes once established, but that can take time. They’re not for the faint hearted. The majority aren’t the slow ploddy types some people think and they’re not cheap to buy. You need to look at blood lines and find out what others with similiar breeding have been up to. A 14.2 highland is a BIG pony and an uneducated tank isn’t much fun but there are a few about very successful in going up the grades in dressage. The key is in early education and handling as well as correct schooling.

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
Highlands are fab but they can be quite quirky ! There are the plods and the very definitely NOT plods . I know of a nice one for sale if you're intetested ( a friends - not mine ) . Top quality , sane and sensible , mature but low mileage , she's just got too many on at the mo . PM me if you're intetested .
A selection of mine ( I don't do the ploddy ones ! )

IMG_20211105_111153_kindlephoto-967248634.jpgIMG_20210904_144841_burst_01.jpgIMG_20211105_113518_kindlephoto-969849958.jpgIMG_20211105_112509.jpg

I'm Dun

Visit site
If you find an adult for sale, be suspicious as people just do not sell them. Mine was an outstanding example. Beautifully put together, and moved well, athletic for his type etc. He is not the great big tank type though. I sold him just backed as a 4yr old. Hes quite a forward buzzy ride now, the first time he cantered under saddle in the open, he squealed with joy, leapt about a bit, then settled and off he went. He'd have been shocked if anyone fell off as that wasn't his intent, he was just happy and excited, but a novice or nervous person would have been terrified. There was never any malice in him, he's just a bit of a clown. Very sweet and loving pony, loved kids and just anyone really. But a mischievous clown is the only way to describe him

One thing I will say is you need decent fencing! Only mains with sheep wire on the inside, or rock solid post and rail held him. Anything else he just walked through and didn't give a toss about

Boulty

Visit site
It’s a bit like having a sentient bulldozer. They are the master of the shoulder barge (mine regularly just walks into other horses if they’re in his way… personal space is not a thing he will EVER understand). Normal horses go under or over fencing & only go through (normally at speed!) if they panic. A highland will happily plough through the fence at a relaxed (but determined) walk just because they CBA going around. Your fencing must be VERY solid, well electrified (with nothing shorting it out and a big ass energiser) or both!

They will put weight on if they so much as sniff at “normal” grass so you’ll either need super crap grazing, a track system, or the option to strip graze & /or use a muzzle. Someone once told me they have double the “bite rate” of even another normal native pony. I believe the person who told me that as mine does genuinely take 2-3 mouthfuls of anything in the time it takes a normal horse to take one. If the only option you have is good grazing I would seriously reconsider if they’re an appropriate breed for you.

In general they plant at things that they’re unsure/ worried about/ when they don’t understand. Sometimes mine plants because he simply does not fancy the day’s activities.

Mine is naturally one of the backwards / ploddy ones & is probably in between in terms of build (he’s not got the super wide chest of some of the heavier types but he’s not exactly lightweight either). Annoyingly I wanted one of the more forward, slightly whizzy ones. Tbf due to the way they’re designed they’re unlikely to have the speed, lightness on their feet & staying power of a good Connie or Welsh as they just aren’t as athletically built.

He has improved slightly with improving fitness & balance but it’s been a long road & we’re still on it as he finds canter quite difficult so is reluctant & backs off. Hoping that once we can crack him finding his balance a bit more he’ll be more willing as he finds it easier.

Mine also finds jumping hard work. He will pop over little things but he gets no joy from it and I don’t think it’ll ever be his thing. Some of the lighter ones do seem to do quite well at working hunter, hunter trials & grassroots eventing though.

TBF whilst he’ll do / try most things (under sufference) mine never gives the impression that he actively enjoys doing anything other than eating or hanging out with his mates. He’d be perfectly happy if he never did another day of work in his life. (His waistline might not be though!)

Boulty

Visit site
DBFE7265-0E92-4647-9A68-B00A37DA077D.jpeg
An illustrative example of the importance of food (he is SUPPOSED to be unloading from the box!)

40795C02-1F7A-447C-8548-B0ED56CFC41E.jpeg

Other horses are relegated to the status of furniture

7CEEFCBB-8A0A-488F-80E4-4D9D120713C2.jpeg
Apparently this is what I took him to a clinic at a posh international arena for

DEF7E53C-C5D8-472B-912B-6D3099094870.jpeg
They’re quite partial to a bit of cider… or maybe that’s just mine?!

837E9650-EEBA-44BF-847A-008298B868E9.jpeg
Proof that I do occasionally ride it!
78697AF4-ECC0-433F-8AB3-475C3977F1DA.jpeg

sarcasm_queen

Visit site
I adored mine. Turned his foot to anything, jumped whatever you put in front of him, hacked out for hours.

Strength of a bulldozer though. If he didn’t want to do something, then no amount of riding skill was going to convince him to do it. He was strong and he knew it. Didn’t want to load-shoved you on the floor. Didn’t want to go out-put his head down and tanked off.

I’d have another in a heartbeat though.

dougpeg

Visit site
I've just sold a lovely up to height 6yo Highland pony under saddle so they do come up.
Moving from a Welsh mare to a Highland gelding was quite the adjustment in the beginning 😆. What I learnt:
#Highly intelligent.
#They put weight on when others are losing it.
#like most horses you get what you put in.
#The more you can get them on your side the better - be prepared to negotiate on occasion.
#Generally chilled and easy to do - probably most breeds are compared to welshies.
#Uncertainty, lack of confidence and lack of fitness can be mistaken for stubbornness - they are stoic ponies with subtle body language so you need to be attuned to them. Positive reinforcement works well.
#They are adorable to look at and easy to love ❤️

teach

Visit site
They’re addictive. I’m on number 3 now..
We sadly lost our first to colic, still have 2! One is an absolute tank, but like an overgrown Labrador! Loves to work, loves people, loves food!! He’s so much fun! Mare is a completely different personality, anxious and typically plants when she’s not sure! I’m hoping with time and consistency she’ll come round!

Fjord

Visit site
My old instructor had 14.2 highlands and they are enormous for short horses. Highly entertaining and some can do very nicely in dressage. Very strong though but utterly gorgeous looking. I had a 13.3 mare for a couple of years, it was hard to find a saddle to fit her. She was lovely, had a cute little buck when she got cross and could do an impressive spook when she wanted to. She loved cuddles and fusses, they do seem to be quite people oriented.

Caol Ila

Visit site
My Highland isn't typical, so I probably shouldn't post on this thread. He was feral until he was eight, and may or may not be pure Highland but is probably close enough.

It took me a while to get him on-side with schooling (due to his weird background more than breed) but he is very, very forward. In a good way. But he's not a jumping pony. I've popped him over a few wee crossrails and he's very economical. It's not his thing. But he's fun for flatwork (now). Had a vet ask me if he was a retired deer pony. He is not. He'd run a mile if you tried putting a deid deer on his back. But he's got that old skool built-like-a-brick-sh1tehouse Highland conformation and looks like he could be.

He won't hack solo, and he won't lead whilst hacking. He has strong views on this, and I've accepted it. Easier to accept, in my circumstances, since I have two horses and my other horse hacks alone. If I don't have a buddy on any given day, she can do the job. But that may be due to background more than breed. I think he'd be quite different if he'd been domesticated and backed at 3/4.

He can be sharp and spooky as f*90ck. I don't let anyone sit on him who doesn't have a good seat. He doesn't do it as often as he used to, but I like feeling convinced that his rider (who is usually me) can sit a mean 180.

But he's very cute and very charming. He's good at making friends with people.

TwyfordM

Visit site
Fb...Follow the Rabbit a lady doing endurance with a highland pony, great blog, warts and all

I see them out at endurance rides all the time, the pony is fit as and stunning! Real head turner amongst all the Arabs 😊

I love highlands, but they need to be treated like a 16hh horse, smart and powerful. Annoy one and you'll live to regret it 😂

There was one on the RS when I was younger, he used to tank off up the road when being led to the field, Throw off everyone, bronco pony when the mood took him and he was just ridiculously strong.
He was silly smart, knew the people he could do it to, and the minute they were distracted enough for him to make his move ...

Goldie's mum

Visit site
I grew up riding them & now live next door to a well known stud.
If I was getting another I'd definitely only think about youngsters. They need careful starting. They're intelligent, very determined and unbelievably strong, so if they're on your side they're wonderful but you don't want to pick a fight with one.
Research blood lines too. The bigger ones that the breeders call "garran" types, seem to have more of the stubborn nature in them, the smaller, hill type ones have a reputation for being more compliant. Not a scientific sized sample obviously but I have two rising 3 year olds on the croft atm. One is from my neighbour, staying away from the breeding herd until she's older, the other has a different owner and different breeding but needed company. They have grown up together since weaning & had all the same handling but one is so much easier than the other.

Reactions: tda

honetpot

Visit site
It’s a bit like having a sentient bulldozer
I call them a tractor on four legs.
I buy Highland colts, and I think the problem is they look like a wonky donkey at two, so they get stuffed with food and you end up with a stuffy four year old. They need to be taught manners when they are small, and avoid confrontation , so they end up doing what you want them to do and they think its their idea. They can not be treated like a cuddly toy, however dozy they look, treat them like a 16 maxi cob. As I get the ones that people have 'spoiled' FME with consistant but infrequent handling and trurnout they soon get the idea, I have never had one that has been a problem handling or ridden, all different types of breeding.
I do not think they have more of an attitude than other breeds, I have had Connemaras, Welsh and NF, they just are an imovable object once they get fed up, so hacking and making life interesting for them is a must. They are capable of jumping, but they have to want to do it, if you try and bully them you are on a hiding to nothing.
I have a three year old colt who is going to be gelded next week, I usually sell them at four.
They are expensive because they should be your forever pony, I sold one at four and he is now in his late teens in the same home, and he looks nothing like the runt that I bought as a yearling.

pistolpete

Visit site
God. What do I say about mine! I NEVER want another one that’s for sure! Sharp spooky incredibly fast intelligent suspicious. So so difficult to keep at a reasonable weight. Is this the appropriate place to share a video I have of letting him shiver 😞. He hates humans is often tricky with other horses in the field and is ridiculously food orientated. He is incredibly handsome! Yellow duns are stunning and the greys will all get melanomas of course. DA597DDD-EB1C-4C27-9827-C118626E6A15.jpeg

First Frost

Visit site
My sister kept and bred highlands until she passed away, 14 years ago. I spent my teens and twenties competing them. Everything we had was very well mannered, but my sister started them with very strict boundries. Her ponies competed in ridden showing , workers, dressage and hunted. They were all fabulous fun. Defintely tractors, with a great sense of self preservation, which worked to your adavantage in difficut hunting country. they had fab paces and were particular good at dressage - never sat on a more comfortable trot! All of ours had either Nashend or Balmoral bloodlines.
However, although i loved riding them I always found them a little too wide for me. That is why I am now a connie fan. Would loe a highland to ride sidesaddle!

Greylegs

Visit site
Mine is now retired but I'd have another in a heartbeat (if I could ever find another one like him, which is highly unlikely .... ). Sensible but not a slug, did decent dressage in his day and the most comfortable ride I've ever had. I've never been a jumper, so can't comment on that. My old instructor used to call him a big horse on short legs!! Absolutely love him to bits ...... He's also extremely cute to look at if you like that type (hairy but pretty) ...

pistolpete

Visit site
Yes with appropriate sized legs mine would resemble a Clydesdale but wider! My old instructor called him a thoroughbred in a fat suit 🤪!

Cloball

Visit site
I used to ride a real sweet dinky highland for her novice owner who was scared of her we got on like a house on fire and I'd have bought her if I wasn't a broke student early in my degree. She was game, forward and not at all spooky. Loved going out by herself and would go past buses, school yards full of children screaming unicorn and logging lorries. She did have an iffy stifle though. Had a couple at a RS where I used to help at who was the typical bulldozer on the ground but you could put a novice up top if he was behind. He was enormous. The other was sweet as pie and love jumping... below is me aged 11. Screenshot_20240330-132526~2.png

pistolpete

Visit site
Think it’s fairly obvious from all this that there is no such thing as a typical highland! Some well trained ones are fun kind ponies but they are natives. Tough and resilient. Self preservation is key to them I think! My friend used to call her boy the health and safety officer!

AthenesOwl

Visit site
I learned to ride on Highlands, many years ago. They belonged to the local trekking centre, in the West Highlands, and I remember them being incredibly opinionated in the school but when they were out and about in the surrounding countryside, they were brilliant fun. Full of energy, and surprisingly fast, in contrast to their performance in the school.

My favourite was a roan mare, and I remember having a jumping lesson on her during which I fell off five times. I still loved her though.