Highland Ponies

Cassy

Visit site
I am a mature rider looking for my last mount. I enjoy schooling, hacking and local showing I am tall and just wondering if a Highland would be suitable. Also where should I look? There don't seem to be many ridden Highlands advertised for sale at the moment.

BlackRider

Visit site
Yes - Facebook groups are the way to go, although I was struggling to find one, and ended up with a Fell, as he popped up on the native horses for sale group, so decided to go and take a look :)

If you don't mind travelling, they're easier to find north of the border.

pistolpete

Visit site
Hi Cassy I bought a very expensive one two years ago. He is lovely but very sharp and although I won’t part with him he’s been quite challenging. Happy to chat about how you get one. Lots of different options. Definitely research breeding and type they vary a lot. If I had my time over I’d get a younger one from a breeder. Probably a Morrich. They are lovely. I think the showier ones are possibly more challenging. Mines an ex show pony.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Highlands are epic - I bought both mine young, from the Morrich stud. They're great, versatile wee ponies, and you can have a lot of fun with them. They're not always push button, rock steady types, but they're nice sorts.

13669810_497769567098761_5269117591989442453_n.jpg

Hipo

Visit site
6BC068C0-B3D6-4A70-83F7-192A1CC761F7.jpeg59747DC6-CC59-4D20-8500-A0E1BBAA4F1A.jpegE7DB49A0-9933-49A7-9EFB-0B383CC46BCD.jpegOur highland, best pony ever. Had occasional bull moments on the ground in his younger days, but all round amazing, super safe , super fun pony . He’s a big guy at nearly 14.2, but love every inch of him.

Surbie

Visit site
My friend has just bought a youngish one to bring on slowly. She is stunning, but very decided in her ways. So far bombproof out on the roads (full bells & lights level crossings with 2 chainsaws going next to them) but less keen on schoolwork.

windand rain

Visit site
I have had mine for over 20 years. That is why so few come on the market they are worth every penny and dont change homes often as a rare breed fewer than 200 4 year olds are added every year this includes any that are never broken in as are breeding stock so ridden numbers dont rise at the same rate as less vulnerable breeds. I will add that although my thing is highlands the same applies to fells dales dartmoors and exmoors as well as most of the heavy breeds. There is a highland/native pony for every job going so I cannot understand why these hardy, easy keep ponies are not more readily available. Must have something to do with the cudos of having a fancy horse that the bulk of riders cannot ride one side of and which break at the drop of a hat. That last bit was tongue in cheek but if the cap fits

fidleyspromise

Visit site
A lot of people advertise them on the Highland Pony group on FB. You can also put your wants on there and members will let you know if they have seen anything suitable.
I've had my girl for 12 years now and they are so versatile - mine can be sparky but she has given confidence to several friends and their children.

McFluff

Visit site
I love Highlands - gorgeous, strong and clever ponies - there will definitely be one out there that will suit you perfectly. My tall (skinny) friend comfortably rides a 13.3 and she takes her leg up well and has enough in front that friend is happy on her.
Like many natives, they are best with firm consistent handling and good weight management. Good luck in your search.

tda

Visit site
Dales are great too 😁 you need to get used to schooling while out hacking as they (esp Mares) do not see the point of going round in circles all the time 😂

Morgan123

Visit site
I'm a massive massive fan of a good highland or fell, but just a note - don't forget that if you're buying one of these sorts, you need to plan for a lifetime of weight management. Not remotely a problem for some yards, but you definitely can't just stick them on any yard or in any field and expect them not to end up with EMS! They are intended to live in the cold on no food. Just better to plan in advance, than have to deal with once it's already gone wrong.

atropa

Visit site
I recently bought a 10yo Highland mare from sales livery at an absolute bargain price and she is fantastic! So far I've had a lot of fun hacking her, the odd time in the school, and I plan to do endurance rides, jumping, and showing with her next year.
I found her advertised on Facebook.

Greylegs

Visit site
I adore my highland. He's fun, safe but not a plod, does a decent dressage test and would pop a fence if I asked him to (not my thing tbh ...). I had a big moving warm blood mare before him and wouldn't go back. Also, I'm 5'7" with long legs and he takes my leg very well because he's so deep in his body. If you can find a good one, I'd go for it.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I know someone who bred them (not sure if she has any to sell at the moment) and said that although she always broke them in before selling, the first 6 months could be very challenging for the new owner. But if you can overcome that they turn out to be the best horse you ever had.

I had one as a companion as it had been round a couple of homes and I had it on the understanding that it was not to be ridden having really frightened its previous owner. I also knew one that had been sent to be broken in to a very good yard, and they couldn't do a thing with it at all and sent it back. After a further 6 months it went to another yard and was fine, got broken in and has been good as far as I know.

Borderreiver

Visit site
Highlands are wonderful ponies. Iv'e had a few and they vary from really safe and easy to quite sharp and challenging so look with care. My boy is home bred, now ten years old and perfect for me in my sixties. He is the kindest best behaved pony you could wish for. We enjoy driving out on fields and tracks as I've stopped riding now. His baby brother, also bred from my old mare, is quite a different pony, kind but more quirky. Look on fb groups for pony adverts.Reiver waiting.jpg

pennandh

Visit site
Highlands are fantastic - ours came from the Dykes Hill stud over 13 years ago, and has since tried everything from side-saddle to polo. He is absolutely the sweetest thing, and quite limber enough to manage Elementary dressage and jumping 85cm if the mood takes him. Also no worries about being too tall - I'm 5'6" and he's 13.1hh and it works quite well.

However, I would note that Highlands are very intelligent, very strong, and generally quite short in the neck. They aren't always the easiest thing to stay on if they decide to spook/spin. It can a bit like riding a very small Iberian stallion with strong opinions on pheasants and their pony-eating ways. He's safe as houses with children and novices, but capable of being very sharp if he thinks matey on board is competent.

So yes, absolutely look at Highlands - they are brilliant fun, and absolutely ideal if you want something that's a little closer to the ground but still exciting - but don't blindly trust in the frequently perpetuated idea that they're universally docile and/or lazy, because between my Highland and my loaned Ex-racer, the Highland is far and away the sharper of the two.

Teajack

Visit site
Highlands are fantastic - ours came from the Dykes Hill stud over 13 years ago, and has since tried everything from side-saddle to polo. He is absolutely the sweetest thing, and quite limber enough to manage Elementary dressage and jumping 85cm if the mood takes him. Also no worries about being too tall - I'm 5'6" and he's 13.1hh and it works quite well.

However, I would note that Highlands are very intelligent, very strong, and generally quite short in the neck. They aren't always the easiest thing to stay on if they decide to spook/spin. It can a bit like riding a very small Iberian stallion with strong opinions on pheasants and their pony-eating ways. He's safe as houses with children and novices, but capable of being very sharp if he thinks matey on board is competent.

So yes, absolutely look at Highlands - they are brilliant fun, and absolutely ideal if you want something that's a little closer to the ground but still exciting - but don't blindly trust in the frequently perpetuated idea that they're universally docile and/or lazy, because between my Highland and my loaned Ex-racer, the Highland is far and away the sharper of the two.

Part of my early riding experience was on a Highland. He was used for RDA and was totally reliable there, but he taught me to fall off ... and eventually to stay on :) He would drop a shoulder and spin, had a powerful buck and could shift suddenly sideways at speed - over a garden hedge on one occasion. He was fine with people who could actually ride, just didn't think much of novices.

Equi

Visit site
We have a highland mare at my yard (beautiful dun) shes tinnnnnny to me, being 5ft8 i could never imagine riding her but shes my dream horse in that shes so sweet, respectful and decent. Shes the only highland i have met and i adore her. Not helpful at all to your post, but just wanted to say lol