Highland pony brilliant but..

pistolpete

Visit site
Just testing me when i go to him in the field. Swung his bum round yesterday when o went to pick feet out and put ears flat back today when I went to catch him. Then hacked beautifully on his own for the first time. A complete gent. Is this a test?

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
From experience this isn't just a Highland thing but, yes, it could well be his way of testing your confidence with handling issues. If pony is perfect in every other way, and as a HiPo owner I'd have to say that they are my perfect ponies :), then you just need to work on increasing his manners and making him respect you on the ground.

tda

Visit site
when he doesn't come to you, try turning your back and walking away a few steps = generally work well on a nosy pony!

Also don't try to do stuff when he isn't tied up.

pistolpete

Visit site
Thank you for replies. He has been great at letting me pick feet out in the field. Maybe that's the logical thing to catch and tie up for feet each day. He is so polite once caught.

Dry Rot

Visit site
I have a mare who has what I call "expressive ears". If looks could kill...but it is all bluff! Soon after arrival here, she knocked me flying barging past to get to fresh grass. I was advised to carry a stick and threaten with it if she even hunted at doing it again. She still gesticulates with her ears but has never barged since and we now have quite a good relationship. I suspect it's the more intelligent ones that learn to do this. Establish a peck order and all will be fine. As for catching, my advice would be to occasionally treat in the field (slice of carrot or a scratch) WITHOUT catching and keep them guessing! I also give a piece of carrot as soon as the head collar is partly on, sothey are rewarded for being caught ...then I might just let them go again. If anyone really rebels, I'll got the lot in with the quad and then catch the difficult one in a smaller area where it's generally easier. That seems to convince them that evasion really doesn't work.

LadySam

Visit site
I have a mare who has what I call "expressive ears". If looks could kill...but it is all bluff!

Heh. We have a 17.3 Warmblood on the yard who does the same thing. He knows how big and imposing he is and does his best 'Fearsome Beast' posing. Make it clear you're not buying it and the facade crumbles.