Highland pony experts

gunnergundog

Visit site
A previous poster on here by the handle 'Dry Rot' (mentioned above) trades as Morrich Highland Ponies https://www.morrichponies.co.uk/
Another poster that was mentioned, JFTDS, I believe had two from him.....possibly there are pics of her on hers on the above link, but I may be mistaken. You should be able to contact Derry from the above link should you so wish. He is a mine of information - horses and dogs!

Erik MacKechnie-Guire is the other Highland fanatic who breeds that I would point you to.

Last edited:

twiggy2

Visit site
I didn't realise that JFTDS ponies were from Derry, I contacted Derry and he is busy at the moment so unable to advise which is a shame as I really would have valued his input/opinion.
Pretty sure you can ride a pony wherever you want on a Highland estate, as per 2003 Land Reform law, which you probably know anyway.

I'm also interested in bloodlines. There's not much discussion of that on the Highland pony FB group, not in the way you get with sport horse breeding, where people are always very frank about which lines produce extremely hot, professional horses, and which ones can produce more chilled out, ammy-friendly ones.

My Highland can be very tricky. When he's good, he's great and will trundle down the trail at a good, even pace, and can go over any type of ground. When he's having a bad day, he's extremely sharp and spooky and no fun at all. But he doesn't have a normal background since he was one of the Dallas ferals and not backed or handled until he was 8-ish.
Yes you can, I am not sure that the experience if riding on the tracks here is worth falling out with the owner about, there is so much riding and the made track is only 6 miles in 17000 acres and we are not the biggest estate here.

Reactions: TPO

gunnergundog

Visit site
I didn't realise that JFTDS ponies were from Derry, I contacted Derry and he is busy at the moment so unable to advise which is a shame as I really would have valued his input/opinion.

Yes you can, I am not sure that the experience if riding on the tracks here is worth falling out with the owner about, there is so much riding and the made track is only 6 miles in 17000 acres and we are not the biggest estate here.
It's the 'Glorious 12th'...I would expect Derry to be busy! Give him some time and try again.....if you can wait, until the end of the grouse season. I don't believe he has pointers any more himself...he used to have 30+, but will still be involved in that world.

JFTDWS

Visit site

Yes, mine both came from Derry but only Daemon was bred by him. He had bought Fergus at foot with one of his mares.

Fergus is by Coulnacraig Highlander, out of a Glentrowan mare. D is Josethdene x a Tormore mare. D is slightly sportier, better put together for jumping - physically and mentally - and very laid back about life. Fergus has always been sharp, but much more trainable for dressage / general stuff. If I buy another, I would probably look to buy from Coulnacraig Highlander lines.

dougpeg

Visit site
I have a Highland. My current boy was bred at the Whitefield stud and is the traditional type. Very placid, terrible to keep weight off but clever. Mares and fillies are much harder to come by. Finding one that's been started under saddle can also be challenge. Most seem to come up for sale from yearlings to 2 years old. For a 2yo colt / gelding you are looking at 3 - 4 k. Ridden ponies and mares more expensive. The friendly Highland pony page on Facebook is worth joining.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230818_203340_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230818_203340_Gallery.jpg
    923.6 KB · Views: 31

twiggy2

Visit site
I have a Highland. My current boy was bred at the Whitefield stud and is the traditional type. Very placid, terrible to keep weight off but clever. Mares and fillies are much harder to come by. Finding one that's been started under saddle can also be challenge. Most seem to come up for sale from yearlings to 2 years old. For a 2yo colt / gelding you are looking at 3 - 4 k. Ridden ponies and mares more expensive. The friendly Highland pony page on Facebook is worth joining.
He looks very nice.
I am in the Facebook page you mention and lots of unfo and advice on there for sure.
I am happy to start one myself, in fact would rather do that and have had some contact about one fairly locally, the owner doesn't appear to be in a rush and I have things I need to sort first so hopefully it will all come together in the next month or 2.

Reactions: TPO

Goldie's mum

Visit site
I haven't bought from her myself but Michelle Chalmers in Melrose seems to have a good reputation. She trades as 'Mac Equestrian'.
She has a nice 3 yo in at the moment.

Edited to add, she isn't new on the scene - she has moved recently. She was in Newtonmore.
I don't think she breeds. The ponies she advertises will be on sales livery, not owned by her.

Last edited:

twiggy2

Visit site
I haven't bought from her myself but Michelle Chalmers in Melrose seems to have a good reputation. She trades as 'Mac Equestrian'.
She has a nice 3 yo in at the moment.

Edited to add, she isn't new on the scene - she has moved recently. She was in Newtonmore.
I don't think she breeds. The ponies she advertises will be on sales livery, not owned by her.
He is a bit too heavy built and short backed for my liking and for my sins I do prefer a more, there are some lovely ones on there but some are just in for backing, thanks for the link