Highland pony recommendations

Visit site
I have seen plenty of Lochlands and Carlung ponies in the show ring. Carlung ponies usually have absolutely gorgeous heads! Beatifully bred with lovely temprements. Both are of the slightly lighter performance type than the real heavy set inhand ponies.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Mine is out of Imogen of Carlung and by Jed, she is sweet, kind, and exceeding patient whilst I dither at the mounting block, clamp her shoulders with my knees cos my hips are rubbish or plank on her because I can’t get off (these physical problems are not improving!). I hacked her out on Wednesday for the first time since I got her just before lockdown and she was foot perfect.B271F716-DB65-4AE4-AA5E-4287F8429A91.jpeg

Cloball

Visit site
Brown bread stud? I think they're further south. They have produced at least one event pony. Plus I am superficial and they are a lovely colour.

Sprig

Visit site
Brown bread aren't breeding any more, I checked them out early in my search as there is a lovely endurance pony from their stud. Spot the risk, I saw your pics on Facebook, she looks great.
Thank-you Elf, that's just what I wanted to hear.

Sprig

Visit site
Sorry, another question. How big are you and what size are your ponies? I am 5'6 and probably just over 11 stone. I was originally looking for ponies that would make 14.2hh but, typically, I seem to be drawn to ones that are not likely to end up quite that big. Looking around online people seem to suggest that I should be fine with something 14hh and above. Does that sound about right? It is a bit tricky as obviously nobody really knows what size these foals will grow to so I am trying to leave a little margin for error.

windand rain

Visit site
That looks fun!
She is nuts both pony and rider belt round BE 90 courses like they are going round Aintree unfortunately she is too small to affiliate but they have a lot of fun dressage can be interesting though as one day pony will be foot perfect others she does the whole test at 90mph

pennandh

Visit site
Sorry, another question. How big are you and what size are your ponies? I am 5'6 and probably just over 11 stone. I was originally looking for ponies that would make 14.2hh but, typically, I seem to be drawn to ones that are not likely to end up quite that big. Looking around online people seem to suggest that I should be fine with something 14hh and above. Does that sound about right? It is a bit tricky as obviously nobody really knows what size these foals will grow to so I am trying to leave a little margin for error.

As someone who is also 5'6" (and about 10st 7lb), I have never felt under-horsed on my family's 13.1hh Highland. When I was a teenager, I used to have quite a lot of trouble stopping him! Smaller Highlands of the 'island' type tend to be strong for their size, and they usually have big enough barrels to take up a surprising amount of leg. In an ideal world, I'd suggest actually riding a few to get an idea for how big they ride, but coronavirus may make that rather difficult at present.

Ours is a Dykes Hill pony, and definitely has plenty of get up and go. He does a bit of everything - dressage, jumping, side-saddle, polo, jousting, barrel racing, etc. - and is generally a joy. If I was ever looking for another Highland, I'd have another from the same stud.

Sprig

Visit site
As someone who is also 5'6" (and about 10st 7lb), I have never felt under-horsed on my family's 13.1hh Highland. When I was a teenager, I used to have quite a lot of trouble stopping him! Smaller Highlands of the 'island' type tend to be strong for their size, and they usually have big enough barrels to take up a surprising amount of leg. In an ideal world, I'd suggest actually riding a few to get an idea for how big they ride, but coronavirus may make that rather difficult at present.

Ours is a Dykes Hill pony, and definitely has plenty of get up and go. He does a bit of everything - dressage, jumping, side-saddle, polo, jousting, barrel racing, etc. - and is generally a joy. If I was ever looking for another Highland, I'd have another from the same stud.
Thanks Pennadh, that's really good to hear.

buddylove

Visit site
He sounds great. Any pics? Where is he from?
I am rubbish at uploading pics, always says the file is too large!! He is from the Whitefield Stud (this is a picture of him at the stud). He is a lovely chap, rather shy at the moment but seems gentle, apart from with fences, which is going to please my husband no end!!!

Attachments

• received_248554846366260.jpeg
    received_248554846366260.jpeg
    782.8 KB · Views: 14

mavandkaz

Visit site
Loving this thread.
Am tentatively on the lookout for a colt/gelding 2-4yrs. To make at least 14hh but would rather bigger.
Presuming I'm better off contacting studs the trying to find adverts?

Visit site
Loving this thread.
Am tentatively on the lookout for a colt/gelding 2-4yrs. To make at least 14hh but would rather bigger.

For youngsters you are always better contacting studs. They don't often advertise as they tend to sell to people who are looking for something specific via word of mouth.

buddylove

Visit site
Loving this thread.
Yep I just contacted studs, the highland pony society website has a sales section. The friendly highland pony group on FB is a good resource. The Highland Pony sales page has been closed down recently I believe.

mavandkaz

Visit site
Thanks all. I'm on the Highland pony FB pages already, although obviously they don't officially advertise on there.
I know alot go through word of mouth, and unfortunately I'm new to the scene and right down south. Will have to contact some studs, and make it 'known' I'm looking

windand rain

Visit site
Thanks all. I'm on the Highland pony FB pages already, although obviously they don't officially advertise on there.
I know alot go through word of mouth, and unfortunately I'm new to the scene and right down south. Will have to contact some studs, and make it 'known' I'm looking
There are quite a few really nice ponies in the south Maybe Holmedown will be a good start and sometimes has ponies for sale although most that are being sold are sold as foals. Finding a 2/3 year old might be a bit more challenging. Depending on how far south it might be worth asking Rumach in lincolnshire as she runs on colts on conservation grazing so again sometimes has or knows of youngsters for sale

mavandkaz

Visit site
There are quite a few really nice ponies in the south Maybe Holmedown will be a good start and sometimes has ponies for sale although most that are being sold are sold as foals. Finding a 2/3 year old might be a bit more challenging. Depending on how far south it might be worth asking Rumach in lincolnshire as she runs on colts on conservation grazing so again sometimes has or knows of youngsters for sale

Thanks for that. Didn't realise Holmedown were down this way - will definitely touch base with them. I could go younger, but would ideally need to stay at stud for a while, as don't have anywhere suitable (could probably find somewhere local, but don't know anywhere first hand).