Highlands and other natives

Highflinger

Visit site
Hello this is my first post!
I am looking to buy my next horse - I have a Welsh D at the moment but he is 27 and although I still ride him regularly I have to be realistic that time is running out. I don't want to be in the position of not having a horse as I would panic and buy anything just to have a horse. I am thinking of buying a 2-3 years old with a view to bringing on and bonding ( I would get a prof to break as I have no experience or school). Although I have had a horse for 25 years (I have only had two) I would still consider myself a novice happy hacker. I am quite nervous and have not ridden anything except my own for the last 12 years! I was planning of a few lessons to ride a few different horses. I like the native pony types ad although I am 5' 8" and 9 stone so there would be no problem with them carrying me albeit I may look a bit leggy. I feel a New Forest being quite fine would be a little too small unless I found a rare full up 14 2 and my preference would be a Highland, Dales or maybe a Fjord or Haflinger or a cross between these breeds. Because of my height I really do need a 14 2 . I am not sure about Connies most advertised seem quite fine and usually from Ireland and more jumping machines than a steady hack I am looking for. Although my Welshie is to me perfect I am aware most are sharp and I thin the calmer temperament of say a Highland suits me better.
I was thinking that I would hopefully continue riding my boy for another year or 2 whilst the new one is maturing and then when ready to ride my Welshie would probably need to retire or only be ridden perhaps once a week.
Most of the studs I have looked at are in Scotland ( I am in South East England) and usually only have foals and I really have no experience of anything so young and I would not want to spoil something but I really don't know where to find a 2-3 year to bring on.
Does anyone have any experience or suggestions or do you think I am unrealistic?

be positive

Visit site
Dont rule out a decent NF, one that is up to height with a good deep girth will take up your legs perfectly well, you are in the right area to find one, although many will not make 14.2 you should not have too much trouble finding one that will, there is also the Sunglow Dales stud in the south east, I currently have one from there and he is a lovely natured pony full up to 148cm and very deep bodied someone of 6ft could get away with riding him.

This looks a really chunky type of forester, if I wanted a youngster I would be looking at him.

http://www.nfed.co.uk/cgi-bin/class...lay_db_button=on&db_id=134707&query=retrieval

Last edited:

Greylegs

Visit site
I'm a highland fan through and through! I'm 5ft7in and a tiny bit heavier than you (around 10 stone) and long legged and my 14.2 highland is well up to my build. He's also a great hack - steady but not a slug by any means, does a decent dressage test and will pop a fence if I ask him (not that I do very much!).

I'm sure Dryrot on here would be happy to talk highlands to you, as he breeds them. Good luck with your search and welcome to the crazy world of HHO ....

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
I have a connie who would hack all day every day on the buckle as slow as you want to go, yet he'll pop round a metre course without thinking about it. I would never have another breed now.

Hipo

Visit site
I am completely biased.....definitely a highland. Ours is a dream and I adore him. He is a real allrounder. He is quite a big forward highland, but super safe. I wouldn't rule out a trip up to Scotland. Ours is an Alltnacailleach pony, she has bred some fantastic highlands.

GirlFriday

Visit site
OP - welcome! Think your ideas on breeds sound very sensible (although people will tell you Haffies/Highlands etc can be stubborn they aren't usually thought of as silly). Doesn't mean something usually smaller/finer wouldn't occasionally suit but if you're looking to go to a breeder or similar then your initial thoughts sound excellent and fun!

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I question whether someone who describes themselves as a novice happy hacker with no arena (so no chance of lessons on the horse?) has the experience to bring on a just-backed youngster.

GirlFriday

Visit site
Possibly more so than someone who over estimates their ability/has more competitive ambitions?!?

I think OP was clear she(?) would be getting professional help and, frankly, not really asking a lot of the youngster. I mean someone who has owned horses for longer than some people on the forum (who may ride rather well!) have been alive bringing on a happy hacker who is naturally calm/when OP has an older horse to nanny it is a bit different to bringing on a sports horse for eventing with the kind of poster who thinks they are amazing, no?

Edited to add: Good point re: lessons but some instructors will hack out with you and in OP's circs there is likely to be a companion experienced hack available for a little while.

Highflinger

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your replies. If I could I would like one each of all the natives as I love them all!!!!:D
I certainly would not rule out any native if height & temperament were right. I am open minded and if anything already broken came up I would be interested but I have seen very very few advertised - I guess they are so gorgeous no one wants to part with them!
I will certainly think about a trip to Scotland and is it a Private message I need to send to Dryrot ?(Sorry new to this site)
I wil let you know when I find my neddy!

Ps To sugar & spice - I would have lessons once broken and there are schools I can hire within 15 min hack so continuing our education with prof help would not be a problem & my friend has a steady new forest we hack out with

Last edited:
Visit site
A Highland or Dales Pony would suit your height, maybe even an up to height Fell if you really want to deal with all the hair! You won't find many down south though, you'll just have to visit Scotland to find the very best of the Highlands!

You don't need any of these silly hairy multi coloured cobby things, natives all the way!

Broc

Visit site
Well I have a silly hairy multicoloured cob, had him from 3 yrs old, bought him on myself, having had a 30 yr break from horses, he is 7 now and a super happy hacker, just saying....

Visit site
Well I have a silly hairy multicoloured cob, had him from 3 yrs old, bought him on myself, having had a 30 yr break from horses, he is 7 now and a super happy hacker, just saying....

I have nothing against them - I have a hairy multicoloured Shetland lol! But I am a native pony lover through and through!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
OP, if youre on FB join the highland pony group. Quite a few come up on there. DryRot is a well respected breeder and will tell you the truth about his ponies. I live in Bucks and bought my absolute dude of a pony from a lady in Suffolk, he is exactly what you are looking for so they do come up from time to time. Good luck

Mr Punch

Visit site
Get a Highland pony. You defo won't regret it. I bought an unhandled 2 year old direct from the stud and has been the best pony I've ever had! We're going to be doing lots of inhand shows in the summer.

pippixox

Visit site
I got 2 new forest ponies, just turning 4, 2 years ago. They were feral as 6 month olds and previous owner had barely touched them for a year when I got them. Within 3 months I backed them (I have had an ex-racer and also rebacked a horse but never started from scratch) they can be a bit cheeky but far more grown up than a lot of horses the same age. One is 13'3 gelding but stocky and so wide e takes up your leg. My mare is apparently pure new forest according to passport but is 15'1!

conniegirl

Visit site
My 6ft2 younger brother used to ride my 14hh connie and didnt look out of place.
Connie was a good old fashioned leg at each corner type.
He hated jumping, would happily hack all day and do a medium level dressage test without blinking but getting him over a 6" jump was nigh on impossible

Echo24

Visit site
There is currently a fjord that is looking for a loan home on Facebook and he is 14.2hh, 5 year old. PM me if you're interested. I was considering a highland but couldn't get up to Scotland but found a fjord for sale near London. My boy is 14hh and takes up a lot of your leg, (he was sent away to an eventer to be brought on and he is over 6ft!) I was looking for a native and wanted something at least 14hh as I wanted to jump and they are few and far between. Section Ds might suit you in terms of height but I would research bloodlines very carefully! Otherwise connies would be ideal but in my experience they are very expensive!

Pc2003

Visit site
My mum did a similar thing to you. Got a lovely well bred highland filly. Really did her research. Mum is experienced but nervous and getting on. Filly is now rising 3 and they have bonded great. She will be prof broken when the time is right and will be a steady hack for mum. She has been amazing so far. Mum leads her out in hand round the roads and lanes and they have a great time.
I on the other hand have one of the more athletic types of connies and he is def sharp and full of himself 😂

indiat

Visit site
We currently own a little blackand white cob, a Welsh A, a Welsh D cross, a pure bred Highland and an Icelandic (native, just not to this country!). They are all fantastic, never sick or sorry and will turn a hoof to anything. I am very like you, I think, very nervous of animals I don't know and quite a nervous rider. I bought my Highland as a two year old, I had a lot of support from my riding instructor who worked at my livery yard so was always around, he was backed by his breeder and I never had a problem with him. He is super chilled and very kind and if I made a mistake I could always correct it the next day and he wouldn't argue. They CAN be stubborn (thrawn, as the Highlanders call them :D) but I think you can avoid a lot of these issues if you don't sour them. My boy likes his work to be mixed up a lot and gets a bit grumbly if asked do the same thing two days running. He is gentle and not terribly forward going, but once you get him motoring he has powerful paces. He is anyone's ride as long as they MEAN it when they tell him to do something (you need strong legs!) but so kind you can put a toddler up on his back. If you are in the South of England, I would highly recommend Balleroy Stud, where my boy came from. They really care about where their ponies are going to end up and I found the lady who ran it was very happy to take phone calls from me in the early days to offer support.

Highflinger

Visit site
Thanks again for all the replies - there seems a lot of thumbs up for Highlands! To Twiggy2 - no it does not have to be a pure bred - more of a "type" is fine with me

Nari

Visit site
In fairness to welsh D's there are plenty of calm sane ones out there, but in recent years the breed seems to have got a reputation for being hot & sensitive. I've had mine since a 2yo & he's one of the safest hacks anyone could wish for - will go first or last, passes anything, is no slouch but doesn't pull or spook either. Realistically there are good & bad in all breeds.

dizzyneddy

Visit site
I've two NF ponies that are totally fab they are so willing to train & can carry weight (when they do round ups men often ride them). They can turn their hooves to most things & are underrated compared to many other native breeds. If l didn't have a NF l'd have a connie as they are so versatile. Enjoy searching for your native pony.

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
I have had over the years a Welsh Sec D, Connemara and several Highlands. I wouldn’t rule out any breed but would look more at the individual temperament of the horse in question.

With regards to Highlands, they are now my breed of choice and I would also thoroughly recommend the breed to anyone!
I would say be careful to research the line you are interested in. All Highlands are not made the same ;) There are many lines now that are very very sharp and more suited to being a professional’s ride. I had the worst fall of my life off a Highland I went to view that was supposed to be a saint, bronced me off with absolutely no warning whatsoever. There are many out there that are experts at depositing a rider - they are extremely clever and adept at shuffling along, whistling nonchalantly as if they have not a care in the world and then bam, on the floor you go. So, with that in mind I researched extremely carefully the line I wanted to go for. I bought a completely unhandled 3 year old filly from the Erray stud on Mull. The Erray ponies for generations have been renown for their quiet, easy going temperaments. They are not the biggest, stockiest examples of the breed and are more athletically built than some. I had had a young newly backed Highland before that I had loved but sadly she never grew big enough for me (stuck at 13hh) so I sold her. Buying my Erray pony was the first however I would have from absolute scratch to bring on and back myself. I know my own limitations, I’ve ridden for more than 30 years and owned many horses but I am no brilliant rider and I lack confidence so it was imperative I chose the right type of pony. My journey with Brook has been absolutely the best experience ever :D From the first steps of getting her halter broken, teaching her to lead, pick up her feet and generally not be terrified of me, to beginning ground work, long reining and walking out inhand. I backed her this spring myself and then sent her to a friend who is backing & producing young horses for 6 weeks. We have spent the summer hacking quietly mainly on our own but we have also trailered out a few times to hack with other people and we've been to a few lessons. I cant wait for next year to do a little more with her. I had an arena last year when I was inhand work with her but we have since moved and I just have fields to work in and a small paddock I’ve fenced off as a school. Young Highlands need to go in straight lines anyway ;) They are a very slow maturing breed also many people don't back them until they are 5.

This is her, the love of my life :D She is just under 14hh.

brroksep16_zpsckizoiyf.jpg

DSCF4864_zpse4arlyg3.jpg

brooksep_zpsrgftujcl.jpg

Erray have some youngsters for sale just now :D . I actually bought Brook unseen, they were very good at sending pictures and all the info I needed.
https://www.facebook.com/errayfarm/?fref=ts

Last edited: