highly recommend ipods while riding

oliviacharley

Visit site
Not too sure what peoples views are on here about this but I took mine out with me today and I found it did nothing but give me confidence and relaxed me...
my youngster can be difficult and has become nappy when crossing a wide open field....he rears slightly at times and I do feel my heart racing even though I dont show I am fearful it makes riding him a pain....took the ipod with me and when he was silly I just seemed to go with the flow and he calmed down....

mattilda

Visit site
Personally it's not something I would do. My horse can be incredibly spooky and I need to be able to hear things he hears. It does sound as if you didn't have to do any road work. I Pods on roads are dangerous imo as you can't hear vehicles coming behind you.
Glad you had a relaxing hack though. If it works for you then go for it!!

kirinsam

Visit site
Sounds as though it worked for you as most of the time I think its us who sets them off so great that the music made you relax , but wouldn't reccomend for roads..... see this all the time with kids round here (or on their bl......y phones) to me thats really dangerous.

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
i sometimes do this, with one ear piece in.. it really relaxes me which my horse picks up on and so goes nicely, i am thinking of trying it to do dressage at home.. that or get tipsy :O

PnO

Visit site
I hack my fairly sensible horse with my ipod on, if i'm on the quite village roads i'll just wear one ear piece but when i'm in the field i'll put both in. It's really relaxing. I find I can't school my horse whilst listening to it though. I need all my focus on my riding and I get easily distracted if listening to my favorite song x

oliviacharley

Visit site
im pretty lucky and dont hit roads...I ride on 600 acres of farmland which my horse for some reason finds difficult....he seems to enjoy road work!! Open spaces drive him nuts...although its always good fun to have a good gallop to calm him down a little....

kick_On

Visit site
I'm too much of an old fart to think this is right, BUT, hey if we were all the same, it would be a very boring world
ooo.gif

I just think we were given hearing to help us in natural world not fill it up with something else.................. see i told you i was old

JessPickle

Visit site
I'd hate that, I go hacking to get away from everything. For peace and quiet. I want to hear only the sheep when I go out.

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
I always school my horse with my ipod in, I always get my horse going best when I am listening to it as I relax and so does she. It also helps me to pick up a good rhythm- I have a playlist just for schooling with songs that have a good rhythmical beat
blush.gif
grin.gif
Sometimes I just put the radio on and put it on the fence of the school though as when I do hardcore schooling my earphones tend to fall out! Never ride out with my ipod though, too many blummin roads
mad.gif

Tinkerbee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'd hate that, I go hacking to get away from everything. For peace and quiet. I want to hear only the sheep when I go out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

And I like to hear if there are cars/bikes/walkers coming up behind me.

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
I might try schooling with ipod on - I may end up singing out loud though
blush.gif
can just see me screeching along to Alice Cooper's Poison or shimmying in the saddle to David Bowie's Let's Dance
grin.gif

I don't think I would do it out hacking, I need to hear the traffic to prepare myself. Is a shame really as I think that would kill any nerves I have on that s*dding main road.

loopylucifer

Visit site
i have schooled and hacked with mine on as said when on roads only one ear in and not very loud we too have some off road hacking. Having said that i did come off mine when listiening to radio though phone the other day!! nothing to do withme listing to it though she is very spooky and sharp and there was an invisiable horse eating monster which i did not spot!!

smirnoff_ice07

Visit site
Most of my hacking involves roads and my horse is nervous in traffic, so I like to be able to hear whats going on and concentrate! Never thought about trying to school with my ipod tho, mite try it...

only_me

Visit site
when schooling or hacking on my own I put my ipod on speaker - you can hear mine without needing earphones- it helps me focus and seems to just create a nice rhytmn
tongue.gif

I would never hack with earphones in; its far too dangerous as we only have road hacks - There could be bicycles or cars coming around the corner and i couldnt hear them. But I do hack with the music on speaker as then im still able to hear traffic
laugh.gif

what is really embarrassing is that i always seem to come across someone out walking when my G4 or BoneyM songs come on
blush.gif
blush.gif

Cash

Visit site
I have a schooling playlist- includes 'Don't Stop Me Now' by Queen for keeping our sitting trot full of impulsion, and We Will Rock You for keeping a steady rhythm in canter :p couldn't do it while hacking though, as said above, i need to be on my toes for when we come across a scary blade of grass!
laugh.gif

JessPickle

Visit site
May I add I don't mind music for schooling
smile.gif
we have a massive music system in the indoor school. HUGE speakers and full dj deck, slightly unnecessary! but fun to play with
tongue.gif

Natch

Visit site
Singing while you're riding, fine, but i really don't think its safe to hack with an ipod. Even away from the roads I'd prefer to be able to hear things like tractors, cyclists, aircraft, shooters, loose dogs etc.

gw171093

Visit site
I do sometimes hack or school with my ipod in - i cant go anywhere without it! I just find it easier to concentrate and keep breathing! I only ever listen to 1 headphone queitly though! When i am walking home and stuff like that i only use one headphone!

Flint12

Visit site
I use my ipod for schooling, helps me relax so so much, i get quite tense some times when i ride and it just helps me relaz through and so flint relaxes aswell.

I never hack with one in, i have done before and nearly came of so i wont be doing that again any time soon