Hind boot suggestions please for 'low brushing'?

Angelbones

Visit site
My new horse is very close behind and after working him over the past couple of weeks with eagle eyes, both with me on top and watching my friend ride him out, it seems that he brushes behind but not in the usual place. His off side foot brushes his near side leg nearer to the pastern than the fetlock and often misses the bottom of the brushing boot completely. I am worried that he'll cut into himself, especially once we are going faster out hunting etc.

He is low on his heels behind and is having remedial shoeing to help but can be a bit of toe dragger behind and therefore isn't lifting his hind legs very high in trot but we are working on this with lungeing etc too so hope in time that he'll get a higher movement and reduce the risk of hurting himself but that is obviously optimistic and a long way off if it works.

So my question is: are they any boots that cover lower down the leg? I've been checking out Frogpool Manor website and they have several boots called sports boots which appear to wrap around the leg lower down but are they any good? Do they restrict movement? Do they offer real protection or just internal support? Any other advice gratefully received!

PS - do any of you use the over reach boots with the anti spin nodules inside? Does the nodule get in the way of the hoof movement?

Many many thanks everyone
smile.gif

DollyPentreath

Visit site
Both of my eventers do this occasionally xc, I just use a woof wear pastern wrap with a normal hind boot., you could use over reach boots behind as well to have the whole lower leg/foot covered.

CracklinRosie

Visit site
You could also try a sausage boot.

Premier Equine do a good sports boot too. They're designed not to restrict movement so shouldn't do.

Noduled no turn over reach boots still turn!!!! Nodule does not effect hoof movement!

Abbeygale

Visit site
I have just brought some premier equine sports boots - and they are great, and I use them on my mare for exactly the same thing. I think it does depend on how low it is that your horse is brushing - the premier equine sports boots don't come as low down underneath the joint as some of the other sports boots. I had sports medicine boots before which come a lot lower - I also have some of the stretch and flex training wraps which again come a lot lower then the premier equine boots - but are much more annoying as they prone to slipping down.

shellonabeach

Visit site
Westropp do some schooling boots which come right down on the inside.

My new mare has an area of proud flesh on her pastern so I have bought her these schooling boots for lunging to avoid her possibly knocking it.

Angelbones

Visit site
CRACKLIN ROSIE - Thanks for that, I had always thought that sausage boots were for use in the stable or turnout so will have another look at those on the net. Many thanks
smile.gif

Angelbones

Visit site
Thank you Shaab. Once again I'm ill informed and thought that pastern wraps were for turnout only so shall pick one up and have a go... fingers crossed! Thanks
smile.gif

chriscrogul

Visit site
Sausage boots are for use in the stable to prevent capping of the elbow when the horse lies down. They are made of leather and stuffed with straw, usually. They are about 4" wide. A rubber fetlock ring is about an inch in diameter, and is for preventing low down brushing. Unfortunately I still can't master posting pictures or I'd put some up to show the difference!