Hind gut ulcer treatments plus how do you diagnose?

Monkers

Visit site
i have a horse I suspect might have some hind gut ulcers or irritation. Since swapping feeds he's loads better but not quite "cured" he's had thunderbrooks liquid gold and Gut restore powder, the latter he is still on.
Any other suggestions that don't cost the earth?
Also, does anyone know a way to actually diagnose them? Obviously you can't scope. I have heard of a feacal test, but has anyone used it?

ellie_e

Visit site
My friend is sure her horse has hind gut ulcers too, he was scoped and found to be clear. She now feeds him Feedmarks ulcer supplement along with Equishure and the difference in him is unbelieveable. He's like a different horse, less grumpy, more off the leg, doesnt buck any more either!

YasandCrystal

Visit site
My friend is sure her horse has hind gut ulcers too, he was scoped and found to be clear. She now feeds him Feedmarks ulcer supplement along with Equishure and the difference in him is unbelieveable. He's like a different horse, less grumpy, more off the leg, doesnt buck any more either!

I suspect hindgut ulcers in my youngster and intend to treat foregut with operamazole and then hindgut with Feedmark and Equishure. Can you tell me how quickly your friend saw a difference please? My youngster bucks and is so tense it's unreal.

Silverfire

Visit site
i have a horse I suspect might have some hind gut ulcers or irritation. Since swapping feeds he's loads better but not quite "cured" he's had thunderbrooks liquid gold and Gut restore powder, the latter he is still on.
Any other suggestions that don't cost the earth?
Also, does anyone know a way to actually diagnose them? Obviously you can't scope. I have heard of a feacal test, but has anyone used it?

You can do a Succeed fecal test, if its positive for Albumin then horse has a hind gut problem of some sort, if its positive blood too it may also have a fore gut problem but the blood part isn't very reliable because it can pick blood up anywhere from the mouth onwards. http://www.succeedfbt.com/how-fbt-works/albumin/
Your vet has to do the test and it needs to be a very fresh sample. It costs around £30. I tested one of my horses twice three weeks apart and she was positive Albumin, negative blood both times. She already has a problem in her hind gut so its probably that giving the positive result. With hind gut ulcers apparently you normally get changes in the horses blood. I feed my horse micronized linseed which is high in Omega 3's which are good for gut health and for reducing inflammation in the gut.

Ali27

Visit site
Mine had the succeed poo test and tested positive for hind gut and gastric. She then had the succeed supplement for 3 months and then tested negative in both. I will get her retested in a few months time again before my insurance runs out.

Monkers

Visit site
Mine had the succeed poo test and tested positive for hind gut and gastric. She then had the succeed supplement for 3 months and then tested negative in both. I will get her retested in a few months time again before my insurance runs out.
Ali, have you noticed a change in your horses behaviour after feeding the supplement and retesting?

Monkers

Visit site
You can do a Succeed fecal test, if its positive for Albumin then horse has a hind gut problem of some sort, if its positive blood too it may also have a fore gut problem but the blood part isn't very reliable because it can pick blood up anywhere from the mouth onwards. http://www.succeedfbt.com/how-fbt-works/albumin/
Your vet has to do the test and it needs to be a very fresh sample. It costs around £30. I tested one of my horses twice three weeks apart and she was positive Albumin, negative blood both times. She already has a problem in her hind gut so its probably that giving the positive result. With hind gut ulcers apparently you normally get changes in the horses blood. I feed my horse micronized linseed which is high in Omega 3's which are good for gut health and for reducing inflammation in the gut.

Thanks for the info, it seems worth doing as its relatively cheap.

shergar

Visit site
There is a video on youtube ULCER DIAGNOSIS BY MARK DEPAOLO , very interesting to watch if you think your horse has ulcers.