Hind Lameness... Nerve blocking ?

MJ_1993

Visit site
Hi guys,

So the vet is coming out to my horse tomorrow and i am Shitt.ing a brick over it.
He went stiff about 8 weeks ago in heavy rain, thought he had a hoon around the field so the Osteopath came out, done an incredible job on him and there was massive improvement, for all of a week, unfortunately him being looser has shown the fact that he is actually lame behind, he's never had a days lameness in 5 years so i'm very worried.

My instructor thinks it's high up, Sacroiliac or pelvis and thinks they will try nerve blocking

I will obviously speak to the vet tomorrow but as i've never had any serious injury with him before i have no idea how all of this works, if they do nerve block, how many do they do in one day? or does it have to be staggered?

I'm a bag of nerves as i always fear the worst and he's my baby... any words of advice or experiences?

xx

Pinkvboots

Visit site
They start at the hoof and go up quite often they will do the higher part of the leg on a different day as the nerve block travels up the leg so after several it can give a false result if the whole leg is done in one go, I hope you get some answers try not to worry hopefully it's something that can be fixed

confirmedponyaddict

Visit site
It depends on a lot of things, vet preference, flexion tests, your horse's temperament. Mine had a similar sounding lameness to yours and I think we got all the way up the leg in about 3 sessions. The fetlock and hoof are quick ones but as you get higher up it seems to take longer. My girl is also not that patient and rather needle phobic so it all felt painfully slow. If you do get to the top of the leg with no improvement after blocks then they may recommend you go to a vet clinic to block the SI joint as there is a chance of temporary paralysis of the leg and they like them to be somewhere safe to fall over if they do. Best of luck x