Hind legs shaking

Sunny12345

Visit site
Hi all,
I'm looking for some urgent advice as I've come to the conclusion that I'm possible putting my horse to sleep this week coming.

I'm really concerned about her she's been in and out of Leahurst 4 times in the last 6 months.

She's had kissing spine surgery and steroids into her hocks twice.

She's still shaking her back legs when getting down to roll and getting stuck half way down and getting back up.

Her behaviour is flighty, energetic, rears in her stable and stresses. She's chewing her door due to boredom/stress/pain during her box rest.

Yesterday i turned her out due the fact she was going to hurt herself in her stable.

She's becoming dangerous to handle as she's rearing, jumping etc while being walked. I let go of her in the field yesterday and she bucked in my face and was about an inch away from my head.

Any advice welcome?!

My gp vet said i can't sell her with that behaviour which i agree and i wouldn't sell a horse in pain anyway!

She's had every injection going in her back legs and there's nothing else they offer...?

Do i have any other options?

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
It sounds as if you have run out of options and that either the treatment is not working or the vets have not found part of the issue, is she on box rest as part of her treatment for the KS ? if so you may still be at the early stages of rehab and things may get better once she can get out more and do some exercise other than walking in hand, being in most of the time will not help her hocks so they may be worse than they would be if she were able to be out in a field wandering about, mild sedation can help at this time if you want to give her longer but no one should make you feel bad if you do decide to call it a day before she does you or herself an injury.

Sunny12345

Visit site
It sounds as if you have run out of options and that either the treatment is not working or the vets have not found part of the issue, is she on box rest as part of her treatment for the KS ? if so you may still be at the early stages of rehab and things may get better once she can get out more and do some exercise other than walking in hand, being in most of the time will not help her hocks so they may be worse than they would be if she were able to be out in a field wandering about, mild sedation can help at this time if you want to give her longer but no one should make you feel bad if you do decide to call it a day before she does you or herself an injury.

My concern is that the behaviour is linked to the pain, however Leahurst did say the kissing spine surgery may help but she's got numerous conditions so she may still be in pain afterwards. I'm extremely worried she's been in pain for too long. Such a hard decision!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would have a good hard think about her quality of life. do you think she has a good qol currently? If not, is there a realistic possibility of her qol improving in the near future?

I'm sorry to say that from your post it sounds as if the answer to both those questions is a resounding 'No!'. It is never easy an esy decision to pts but sometimes it is obvious that is the only course of action left in the horse's best interests.

You also need to think of your own safety. Pain can make horses very unpredictable and dangerous - they are very big animals.

Sunny12345

Visit site
Thanks for responding, i know all of this however telling myself is another thing as she's my baby. I certainly don't want her in pain. Ffs this week will be emotional I've only just lost my 26 year old xx

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
It is a hard decision but after reading through sounds to me like shes in pain, my vet visited a friends horse that shook its hind legs when it was shod or had his legs picked up, and it was all pain related. In your situation I would pts before she gets any worse.

So sorry @Sunny12345, thinking of you. Its the hardest thing about being a horse owner, but we need to have the strength to say goodbye before its to late. We can only fix so much. x

JFTDWS

Visit site
Well done for doing the right thing for your horse. Your first post certainly suggests it was the only reasonable thing to do at this point.

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I'm so so sorry to hear she's gone to sleep. 100% though you did the right thing and I am absolutely positive she is thanking you for it. If only other owners were like you and have the strength to make the decsion for the right reasons..

Great big hugs and stay strong.