hind legs started to fill in stable, stable boot suggestions

whiteflower

Visit site
mine have been in since November with a 2-5 hours turnout a day (we are on heavy clay!) and 40 mins to an hour and a half ridden exercise daily.

all has been fine then this last week i have one whos hind legs have started to fill in the stable, both hinds equally filled fetlock up to around half way up the cannon bone. no heat, no pulses, no obvious injury/mud fever, no pain on palpitation.

it pretty much goes after exercise or turn out, maybe slight residual puffyness if i was being picky, horse sound. seems to me to be stocking up. horse is fed alfa-a lite and alfa beet and high fibre haylege (been on this since november)

any idea why a horse would start to stock up when it hasnt done for the past 2 and half months in exactly same circumstances ? only differences are we have had a colder snap this week and if any thing, due to ground being frozen hes been able to have slightly more turnout than usual !

im looking to get some stable boots to assist circulation (bandaging not an option as OH will be doing him sometimes and he hasnt got that badge yet and too much to potentially go wrong !) wondering what people use and how good they are at staying put and not slipping, also breathability

Charlie007

Visit site
I gave up on boots and used a bespoke supplement from hack up to aid circulation. Worked a treat. There are some circulation socks that are apparently very good but they are around £ 80 a pair.

Fun Times

Visit site
I use the premier equine quick dry leg wraps for these purposes. They are good quality and very easy to put on, and they work a treat. You can pull them fairly tight like bandages, whereas the premier equine stable boots are too fat and fluffy to get decent pressure with. And they are a bargainsome price too!

jewel

Visit site
My pony fills in her hinds over night, i got her some magnetic hock boots and she is now fine in the morning.

Dogandbone

Visit site
Personally I would look at the food - I understand what you are saying, that nothing has changed since November, but it may just be the grass content - this changes so quickly with the weather, and cold frosty weather meant that they could be out longer - Try decreasing the protein content for a couple of days and see if it makes a difference. Boots can work well, but are treating the symptoms not the cause! I have one that has slightly filled legs sometimes on just a different bale of haylage lol!! Try Speedi beet instead of Fibre beet - try anything but one thing at a time till you find the culprit for the imbalance - Good luck anyway!

Micropony

Visit site
Friend of mine has one who's prone to filled hind legs after a bout of lymphangitis a few years ago. She swears by Global Herbs lymph blend, and half an hour in magnetic boots.