Hind limb lameness and spring grass

lovelyfrenchie3000

Visit site
Bear with me here - my older mare (she’s 9 so not old but older than the baby) was short on her right hind in the school in walk, someone said it looked like tension and to walk her round to see if it loosened off. It eventually did and she was also sound in trot. She’s also been a bit more difficult with her back legs. Obviously, my mind goes to vets - stifle mainly but maybe sacroiliac?

However, a friend who has had sessions with Tom Beech said that spring grass can cause tension/stepping short in the right hind. I thought this was interesting as it is her right hind and the spring grass is definitely here as she is eating half the amount of hay she was a few weeks ago.

She has also become more girthy and “antsy” - but again, I’m aware this could be related to any stifle/sacroiliac etc pain.

Has anyone witness this? I am going to see what she’s like under saddle today and then ring the vet anyway but it was just very interesting to hear as the symptoms in Tom’s post do add up.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Right hind lameness for my pony was hock arthritis and a sore SI (likely caused by the compensatory movement she was doing to get weight off her sore hock).

The grass could be linked in that she has ulcers from the lameness and the sugar rich grass is irritating them more.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Right hind lameness can be a sign of hind gut issues, which can be exacerbated by spring grass. My mare who went on to be diagnosed with hind gut issues always had a 'lazy' right hind 😬, despite getting good dressage marks and getting clears XC at BE80.

But right hind lameness can be caused by a multitude of other things, too.

lovelyfrenchie3000

Visit site
Right hind lameness for my pony was hock arthritis and a sore SI (likely caused by the compensatory movement she was doing to get weight off her sore hock).

The grass could be linked in that she has ulcers from the lameness and the sugar rich grass is irritating them more.

This was my first thought but I got sent a post by Tom Beech that seemed to make sense (obviously don’t want to assume it’s grass and ignore her being lame/more prominent physical issues). The symptoms are (according to Tom):

1D04D495-ABE5-46F2-BA85-6B73F1B78CE9.jpeg
As I mentioned, some do resonate with the symptoms she’s been displaying, such as the right hind limb tension/not tracking up, unhappy with picking up hind legs, overly hormonal seasons (she has been a nightmare with her hormones recently) and tension in the poll. It’s just interesting. I’ll be supplementing the hind gut as a precautionary measure anyway and speaking to the vet.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
This was my first thought but I got sent a post by Tom Beech that seemed to make sense (obviously don’t want to assume it’s grass and ignore her being lame/more prominent physical issues). The symptoms are (according to Tom):

View attachment 111639
As I mentioned, some do resonate with the symptoms she’s been displaying, such as the right hind limb tension/not tracking up, unhappy with picking up hind legs, overly hormonal seasons (she has been a nightmare with her hormones recently) and tension in the poll. It’s just interesting. I’ll be supplementing the hind gut as a precautionary measure anyway and speaking to the vet.
This is essentially a list of all the things my mare had when diagnosed with hock arthritis and sore SI 😆 the girthiness, pushing saddle, bucking in canter etc was I think mostly due to the ulcers and then stiff hind end, toe dragging etc was more the mechanical lameness.

Within a few days of the first omeprazole injection she went back to trotting in a straight line and not resisting down one side (the right side).

Interesting re the hormones though, mine has also been an absolute nightmare with her season last week. But then no other mare on the yard has so unsure if I can blame the grass for that one, probably more likely that she is super fit and pain free so has less to distract her from her raging hormones and desire to get laid 🫣

dreamcometrue

Visit site
My pony’s right hind lameness is caused by a tear in the medial meniscus of her stifle. I’m pretty sure that spring grass had nothing to do with it.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Mine has had Arthmid into right hock and has been doing really well.
He started going out over night a few weeks back and almost instantly has become a bit sluggish and the left canter is a bit clunky. Hes also showing some HS symptoms by snorting and wanting to rub his nose.
I did suspect the grass too as the change has been very sudden and coincided with going out over night (same paddock he was out in during the day ).

what supplements could I try to help his hind gut? So far his droppings have been fine but in the past too much grass has given him lose poos and fecal water.

Horseysheepy

Visit site
My TB was a touch colicky after gorging on some grass he wasn't supposed to be getting and can be funny around right hind.

Since then, after going on fresh Spring grass Ive put him on Ker's Equishore for a few days to help restore the pH in his hindgut.

lovelyfrenchie3000

Visit site
My TB was a touch colicky after gorging on some grass he wasn't supposed to be getting and can be funny around right hind.

Since then, after going on fresh Spring grass Ive put him on Ker's Equishore for a few days to help restore the pH in his hindgut.

That’s interesting. I may try that. I just know what the vet is going to do/say when I do go to them - bute trial, followed by nerve blocking and xraying. But then if it is hindgut, surely bute will have an adverse affect?

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Mine has had Arthmid into right hock and has been doing really well.
He started going out over night a few weeks back and almost instantly has become a bit sluggish and the left canter is a bit clunky. Hes also showing some HS symptoms by snorting and wanting to rub his nose.
I did suspect the grass too as the change has been very sudden and coincided with going out over night (same paddock he was out in during the day ).

what supplements could I try to help his hind gut? So far his droppings have been fine but in the past too much grass has given him lose poos and fecal water.
I've been putting aloe vera in my mare's feed since her ulcer diagnosis. Maybe too early to tell as I've only just finished giving her Sucralfate (although she's been on a tiny, tiny dose for the last month) but so far she's not shown any ulcery signs whereas other horses on the yard have had to stay on it full time. I bought a 4l jerry can from equimins (can't remember exactly but I don't think it was more than £30) and that's lasted me 5 months.

Also heard good things about yeo-sacc and ponease.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
For the oily herbs, mix up equal weights of dried thyme, oregano and rosemary. I buy in bulk and mix up 500g of each herb at a time and store it in a big old supplement pot.

Then build up to 50ml of dried oily herbs twice daily added to feed. Most horses love them. If you do a search on here, there's a lot of posts about them.

But as previously said, your horse's issues could well be caused by different or additional factors.

lovelyfrenchie3000

Visit site
Thank you - I’ve purchased some. Even if the issues aren’t hind gut, from the research it seems that adding oily herbs will only improve her overall health anyway so I guess it’s not as risky as buying a £50+ tub of gut supplement!

Sossigpoker

Visit site
For the oily herbs, mix up equal weights of dried thyme, oregano and rosemary. I buy in bulk and mix up 500g of each herb at a time and store it in a big old supplement pot.

Then build up to 50ml of dried oily herbs twice daily added to feed. Most horses love them. If you do a search on here, there's a lot of posts about them.

But as previously said, your horse's issues could well be caused by different or additional factors.
Do you buy these online, if so where from ? Thinking of trying those especially if they're palatable to most horses.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

Supercalifragilistic

Visit site
Just a suggestion - are you 100% sure she’s not a bit sensitive in front with the new grass. I only ask because I had a pony that was borderline sub-clinical laminitic when I got him. He looked short in one hind but it was all caused by compensating for the soreness in front. Once you knew it was there you could see the tiniest of head bobs but the much clearer lameness was the short step behind. It also vanished with work and being ridden forwards as he ‘pushed through’ the soreness poor thing.

Once we got the feet sorted and a whole load of weight off, the short hind step magically vanished….

lovelyfrenchie3000

Visit site
Rode her today and no lameness. Also no girthiness? A bit of tension and calling to other horses and then some not very pretty canter transitions (most likely down to tension?) but I’d say a lot better. So now I’m even more confused.

Re: lami. I spoke to my farrier today and he says it’s not lami. She’s never had it and not the type (I know that doesn’t necessarily mean anything) but no other symptoms pointing to lami. Farrier did hoof testers and no reaction in all four feet

Dave's Mam

Visit site

smolmaus

Visit site

View attachment 111639
This is very interesting. Have had vet and physio out for my mare with several of these symptoms and the diagnosis at the minute is sticky stifle/ underactive quadricep but noticeably more pronounced on the right. Physio is improving issues so far but will think about some ulcer preventative measures just to see. She isn't on grass yet but there are management issues that I cant fully control that would make ulcers more likely.

visa_bot

Visit site
Mine had laminitis in her hinds only.
Mine too. Left hind lameness took a while to realise it was laminitis by which time it was really bad. It didn’t present at all like laminitis and as the grass is sugary at the moment please consider this. My horse has recovered but it was a long road and very touch and go.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

Pinkvboots

Visit site

Thats exactly what I do but I buy dried spearmint and mix that in as well and feed a heaped 60ml scoop once a day.

Uliy

Visit site
This is essentially a list of all the things my mare had when diagnosed with hock arthritis and sore SI 😆

Sorry to say that I was about to write exactly the same thing! My horse had many, but not all, of the symptoms in that list and a few weeks ago was diagnosed with degenerative joint disease in both hocks, a sore SI and grade 3 & 4 ulcers. She’s been treated for all and is already seeming soooo much better.

I also hoped it was hind gut related/season related, but unfortunately wasn’t for us. It may be the answer for you, but just keep an eye on it!

Myotto

Visit site
My horse has Equine Metabolic Syndrome and has a very sensitive gut. He really struggles with any change in the grass, particularly during autumn and spring. It took a long time and a lot of money to figure out EMS was the cause of the weight gain, gut sensitivity, alternating front lameness and shortness behind.

Eventually, EMS was confirmed on blood test and then a massive front abscess burst. We also then figured out he has very sensitive soles and hence has been put in pads and gels. I have been careful with his grass intake, kept weight down through diet and exercise and used supplements to manage his gut.

He’s been great for ages but as soon as the sunshine and rain came from late April he seemed to be struggling - runny poos, sensitive on his right gut, didn’t want to bend his right side, didnt want his saddle on, grumpy to ride, felt slightly short behind and reluctant in canter transitions. He’s a willing horse so him going to the back of his stable on seeing the saddle is a tell tale sign.

So we took the decision to only put him out for a few hours in the morning. This seemed to sort it. However, I have the same problem now that he has moved onto his summer paddock which has much more grass.

We will continue with AM turnout only until the grass settles and I suspect he will be fine in a week or so but it’s a constant cycle of worry. The dangers of green grass are very underestimated generally! Also be careful with hay. Ryegrass triggered my boy.