Hindsight and ulcers. (your experiences)

soulfull

Visit site
Just wondering if you look back, what would you say were your horses first signs?

I'm curious as Emil has now been on reduced dose of 1/4 for almost 2 weeks which should conclude his 2nd course of GG.
However over the last week he has got more and more sensitive in the girth and tummy area. To the point where he is really kicking out at me. Which just isn't like him at all :(
However he is still as good as gold to ride

I left message for vet to call me tomorrow.
I'm totally floored by this and just don't know what else they can do

There is no way I could ever afford even £6 a day for.a 1/4 dose (which doesn't seem to be enough anyway

He has also been in life force for 5 wks

be positive

Visit site
I have not dealt with ulcers but had one scoped last year as he showed many symptoms, he was clear but I have changed his diet to an ulcer friendly one and the signs he showed have just about gone so my feeling is that he is vulnerable to them but clear when scoped. Another horse was put on GG as a precaution following a very stressful time, loads of NSAIDs and long box rest, he started cribbing so had a short course, again on an ulcer friendly diet.

I am sure you are doing everything by the book but it may be the diet yours is on just does not suit him and it may be worth trying something else, either a change of feed or other support in the way of supplements, mine are both on protexin which supports the hind gut at the lowest dose this is not too expensive and I have found it really helped, they also have Dengie Happy tummy just a couple of handfuls not the huge recommended daily amount.

soulfull

Visit site
Bp. Thanks. I'm considering different diets. I have him on Alfa a. Life force and speedi beet. Vet said to feed SB. But I'm going to switch it to fiber beet.
He used to be on spillers balancer but switched to life force 5 weeks ago
Blooming horses!!

poniesanddogs

Visit site
Hi
I have a 23 year old that i have owned since he was 4 and he has always been cold backed when i get on him. Recently he had a mild gassy colic attack.I was advised to try Equine Americas Ulser gard solution and I have to say within 3 days of being on the product when I rode him, for the first time in years he didn't sink when I got on him. I am now on my 2nd bottle and will continue as I have noticed a huge difference in his well being, also it is economic to feed at £20 - Much better than GG !!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My mare hasn't been scoped but showed symptoms of ulcers when I got her, girthy, grumpy, prone to colic, very gassy. Following a tip on here, I started her on Aloe Vera juice and she is like a different horse. If we run out, she gets very grumpy again. I have learned not to run out! AV costs about £10 per bottle which lasts one horse about 3 weeks.

Frozen Hoof Boots

Visit site
Mine was scoped with ulcers. we went the GG and then Sucraflate route. more change after Sucraflate introduced. However My horse only came right with using RiteTrac....And yes before another person jumps on me stating how expensive it is that GG didn't make a difference but RiteTrac meant I had my horse back in 48 hours of being on it. Frankly it was cheaper than going another round of GG. My horse has just come off it after being on it 3 months and he has been fine. I do put bicarb in one of his waters now.

SCMSL

Visit site
My horse's first symptom is she starts raising her upper lip when I present food to her. When she starts doing this, I know she is getting worse again and get her on omeprazole again.

Unfortunately I've had to learn how to handle ulcers with my horse since she is apparently very sensitive to them and even the smallest thing is enough to set them off again.

One thing I've learnt it beet pulp can be detrimental since it messes up with the digestive pH, so I would ditch it and see if your horse gets better - mine can't have any.

There are also a few other things you could try which are outside of the box, and if you want to discuss them further PM me :)

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
Haylage can also cause problems:( - the most common mould - or mycotoxin found in haylage is from the penicillin family - they are the same group that are used in antibiotics - they kill off bacteria - hay is much better as although it still has mycotoxins the are not present in the same quantity and as it is dry - the moulds are more inactive. Haylage is an excellent breeding ground for moulds, bacteria by the nature of its production - baled with moisture it is effectively ferments the moulds which when exposed to the air - when the bale is opened multiply quickly. Each time it is fed you are undoing the work of any probiotic you are using and making it hard to maintain the correct balance in your horses gut.

This will apply to an haylage and hay no matter how well made/packaged as moulds are a natural phenomena in grass and there is no method of manufacture that will destroy them - they also live on the cereals which go into hard feeds

noodle_

Visit site
having lost one who was unhappy, and uncurable to keep "sound"..... recognise the signs earlier

colicing, girthy, woulndt bend right etc...

I think there was a lot more to her than just ulcers to be honest, but i guess we will never know and i did the kindest thing for her. :(

Bawn

New User
Visit site
My horses first signs were irritable when being brushed or touched around the tummy area, he would also swish his tail when touching him in this area or when picking up his back feet. He was also displaying "behavioural" problems when being ridden such as teeth grinding, napping, reluctant to go forward. I have changed his diet altogether after advice from TopSpec and I have a totally different horse who has now put on weight and in general is happy to be groomed and ridden!