Hints & Tips Please - More Energy Needed When Schooling!

Bernster

Visit site
Urgh, it can be painful I know! Transitions, def, yes. Lots of change of rein, changes within the pace and direct transitions, circles, serpentines, lateral work to keep him thinking. Phew, I'm tired just thinking of that!

Also, slightly oddly, try to avoid doing too much yourself, nagging with your leg or getting very strong with your aids. That's what I tend to do with my boy so I have to try hard to be much lighter with the first aid, if doesn't go, then immediate tap tap with the whip and then back to lighter aids until he gets the message. I did also start wearing little rounded spurs but my legs are too wobbly for that so stopped it.

If you are in a school, I know people recommend schooling out on hacks instead as they tend to be less lazy. and maybe work in canter first if that helps liven him up.

If he's unfit/fat, then just working generally should help to pep him up. Tricky if you also need to feed him up. I haven't gone down that route with my boy as he's on a diet !

paddi22

Visit site
we were always told to do transitions 'a few steps up' if schooling a lazy horse. so going from halt to trot, or from walk to canter - so they wake up more to your aids and become more responsive.

seoirse

Visit site
Yes, ditto, loads of transitions, sometimes some poles help jazz some of them up a bit, and ditto, try to be aware of not nagging with your leg, its hard when you've been riding a lazy bones for some time as it becomes a habit! I really have to work at NOT nagging mine in the school. I also find doing lots of bending and asking for a couple of steps away from your leg, then straight, then 2 steps across, then straight, helps to pep him up a bit too.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Stay out of the school really, at least until the horse is going well & nice & fit. Find teens/ speed freaks to hack with & do stuff like fun rides to wake him up.

Kat

Visit site
Lots of direct transitions. Halt to trot and trot to halt, lots and lots so you are only trotting a short distance. Walk to canter too, and if you can manage it halt to canter or rein back to trot or canter (careful that using rein back doesn't make him think too backwards though).

Serpentines in canter with a change through walk over the centre line.

Asking for lengthened strides down the long side or accross the diagonal and then bringing them back for the short side (you can also put in circles in the corners).

Or sometimes just having a bloody good canter early on and getting out of the saddle and opening them up can work well.

The other thing to remember is not to nag. Ask nicely and then if they don't respond really get on at them. Depending how rude and lazy yours is a whipwop, or a dressage whip, or a dressage whip in each hand might help, or just a pony club kick.

Last edited:

Kat

Visit site
Try using jumps in your schooling if he is normally a bit more awake when you jump. You can do lots of exercises with a couple of smallish jumps up and pop them occasionally to keep him thinking forward.