Hip injury.......unresolved!!

Jojo_27

Visit site
My mare injured herself last October in the lunge pen whilst messing around! Sat on her the day after and she was completely lame behind, dropping her left hind. Through various vets and chiropractors she was given 3 weeks box rest on a high dose of but for 2 of them then trotted up as mechanically lame (unlevel on dropping her left but tracking up straight). Was told to work her to build up the muscle. 5 months or so later after 2 months off, 2 months walking and just into trotting work she is still very much unlevel behind. No improvement. Had a masters of method lady come out to see her a few times now who has been really helpful but am lost as to what to do now? The vets said the hip joint would be too deep to x-ray so I have booked her in for a thermal image scan next week to see if they can shed any light. Has anyone else had anything like this?

be positive

Visit site
Sounds like an injury to the sacroiliac joint, this should be possible to scan, my horse was wrong for 12 months, again told to work to build him up which was the worst thing to do, finally diagnosed, confirmed by scanning which showed no obvious bone damage, no need to xray, given steroid treatment, loads of physio and is now just about level 9 months on.
I am not sure how the vets can say it is mechanical when they have not really diagnosed anything, mechanical lameness is usually due to something restricting them that is of known origin, not just because they are uncertain, I would ask for a referral if your vets cannot come up with anything better than that.

HeresHoping

Visit site
Hi - yes. So sorry to read about your horse and you have my full sympathy.

My horse sat down in the field and, as the 'pulled' muscle didn't resolve (3 weeks rest, 3 weeks walking, sound as a pound in straight lines and even trotting, but couldn't canter without bunny hopping and did a great line in gurning and grunting going around corners), we sent him to Sue Dyson at the AHT in Newmarket. Anything in the pelvic region can only really be viewed through MRI scanning/CT scanning as it is very deep in there. Unfortunately a thermal image will only take a surface shot and then only highlight hot spots, pinpointing areas for further investigation. If your vet is sure it is a pelvic injury, then I would suggest MRI scanning is the way forward.

Unfortunately, Dr Dyson wrote my horse off with a 'crushed' lumbosacral joint (he effectively broke his back - the spine that sits under underneath the tuber sacrale or jumpers bump) and a torn suspensory ligament up by the hock. She asked if she could dispose of him there and then. I got my vet to speak with her and we established that there was a less than 50% chance he would come right. Well, it was more than 10%. He was 7 at the time.

Here he is, a year and 5 months later - not ridden yet, but very much looking as though it's about time he did. He's the big chestnut with the bent blaze. The last to jump the puddle but leader of the pack back over the hill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amCbFE4HTsU

So, if you have the time and patience, there is a little hope.

Jojo_27

Visit site
Thank you both for your comments!!

Sacroiliac issues have all been ruled out after a Mctimoney trained chiropractor, a vet who is also a trained chiropractor, this lady of masters and method and 2 different vets thoroughly examined the area and concluded they got no reaction from there.

My decision to go for a thermal scan is because the surgery up the road from us do it and so if they can pinpoint the issue and highlight the spot of aggravation we can then go on from there. Unfortunately she is not insured hence why I am not running to get MRI/CT scans however if they were advised of course I would find a way to fund these! She is only 9 so if she needed a year off in a field I'd be more than happy to give it to her!

be positive

Visit site
My horse also had SI ruled out, or not considered likely due to him having an injury lower down that was found to be the primary injury and that was treated successfully , by several vets, one vet and my physio believed the findings of the hospital which was fair enough, it was only when I brought in another vet as the horse was not improving that I finally got a diagnosis, he showed no reaction to the area being palpated as by then it was chronic and not really sore, he was happy enough to hack, felt almost sound to ride and was responding to physio apart from remaining unlevel in his muscle.
Thermal imaging may give you an idea but it may confuse the issue as if she has been compensating for some time there may be areas of hotspots which lead you to the wrong place, I would want some nerve blocks done once the TI shows the areas to target so you have a better idea where the primary injury is, it may prove difficult to do high up but some should be possible without blowing the budget too much, giving time off can work but not always it depends on the problem, mine got no better turned away for nearly 6 months out of frustration as he was getting no better, it did no harm but was not a cure.

From memory scanning the hindquarters was not much, around £100 inc sedation, then nerve blocking and steroids once they could see the damaged area, totaled about £300, I hope you get some answers as I know how frustrating it can be.

Jojo_27

Visit site
My horse also had SI ruled out, or not considered likely due to him having an injury lower down that was found to be the primary injury and that was treated successfully , by several vets, one vet and my physio believed the findings of the hospital which was fair enough, it was only when I brought in another vet as the horse was not improving that I finally got a diagnosis, he showed no reaction to the area being palpated as by then it was chronic and not really sore, he was happy enough to hack, felt almost sound to ride and was responding to physio apart from remaining unlevel in his muscle.
Thermal imaging may give you an idea but it may confuse the issue as if she has been compensating for some time there may be areas of hotspots which lead you to the wrong place, I would want some nerve blocks done once the TI shows the areas to target so you have a better idea where the primary injury is, it may prove difficult to do high up but some should be possible without blowing the budget too much, giving time off can work but not always it depends on the problem, mine got no better turned away for nearly 6 months out of frustration as he was getting no better, it did no harm but was not a cure.

From memory scanning the hindquarters was not much, around £100 inc sedation, then nerve blocking and steroids once they could see the damaged area, totaled about £300, I hope you get some answers as I know how frustrating it can be.

Thank you so much for your comment!! It is so frustrating as I've been so patient and followed my vets advice but it's 6 months on now and I'd like to of seen more of an improvement. I will definitely be considering nerve blocking etc following what the TI shows up! I've added some videos that I took of her yesterday...she looks practically sound in walk but as you can see in trot her left hip is obviously dropping!

http://youtu.be/9_OmEy4CWz0
http://youtu.be/ETe-N9dqTBA